South Carolina-Charleston
Options

venue lust - need advice!

Hi y'all, 

I made the mistake of falling in love with the Thomas Bennett House during a recent trip to Charleston. It didn't matter originally because all our dates were booked or held by other couples, but a desireable date JUST opened up and now I'm having a hard time grasping the fact that it's just so far out of our budget. I'm having a hard time being excited about anything else, even though we're holding another venue that would be great for my fiancé and I. I can't focus on anything except the fact that it's NOT Thomas Bennett. I'm feeling pangs of sadness because we simply can't afford to have our reception there, but I know that's exactly a place I've always pictured in my mind.

Any brides out there who have experienced something similar?  Has anyone had to move past a dream venue? How did you handle it and how did you feel once you committed to something else? Did you get over it or were you always thinking about the place you couldn't have?

Any advice or sharing is hugely appreciated!!

Re: venue lust - need advice!

• Options
    Jeni1090Jeni1090 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know how it feels.  We had our hearts set on one place, and couldn't get any cooperation from the management.  It took us a few months to let go of trying to get it.

Once I realized that it was a no-go, I started trying to find a place that suited us. FI still wanted it though, and still kept trying.  i finally had to tell him if we didn't get it booked by X date, we needed to look at other venues.

Once that date passed, we started looking.  I had some ideas, he had some ideas, and we looked at all of them.  I initially visited our venue alone; FI wasn't interested.  I finally dragged him out there to look at it and it was like something clicked for him.  And, although it's not what we originally wanted, I think it was for the best and the management has been awesome about working with us.

I now dream about getting married where we are getting married.  You just have to keep looking and something will click.  There are TONS of historical properties that have the same look and feel of the Bennet house; you just have to keep looking:

Legare-Waring house
    Lowndes Grove (although probably at least as expensive at the Bennet house)
    William Aiken House
    Wickliffe House
    etc.
  • Options
    Purple&7Purple&7 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not getting married at my dream venue. It took me a few months to realize that it just wasn't in the budget. But like PP I now dream about the venue I'm getting married in. Just keep looking. You'll find the perfect venue for your wedding day!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I also had a similar experience. Visited The American Theater on King Street because we wanted a unique venue to match our movie theme; however, the venue wasn't really big enough for the guest list we're expecting. Although it can hold up to 200, the ballroom where the reception would be can only comfortably seat around 100, leaving little to no additional space. So we visited some other venues and eventually decided on a different one. I'm still really bummed we couldn't have our wedding at the historic theater, but I do really like our new venue. I'm just trying to focus on all of the wonderful things the new venue has to offer instead of dwelling on the venue that could have been (but wasn't logistically reasonable). Hope you find exactly what you're looking for!! Good luck :)

• Options
    Sabrinaf33Sabrinaf33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I chose to do my wedding on a non-traditional day and saved a fortune on my venue (about 80% off). A Sunday wedding isn't a big deal for us, we both work odd schedules and are used to chaotic schedules. Plus, most guests will be in from out of state and this way they can have Saturday to sight see. They would have to take a day off from work either way. Maybe you could consider a Friday or Sunday date? It is just an idea, I know it wouldn't work for most couples.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am going through the same thing and I'm in the process of picking a venue now. I really don't want to go over 3k for the rental so I may opt for a Sunday wedding. Maybe not ideal for some guests but it's a destination wedding for us so I figure guests will have to take either Friday or Monday off anyways. We are looking at the Wycliff house, Historic Rice Mill, Magnolia Gardens and Wild Dunes. I think William Aiken are and Thomas Bennett are just too much. 
  • Options
    katydid2014katydid2014 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I had to think outside of the box to find a venue in our budget, and found the Confederate Home and Garden at 62 Broad St.  We really wanted a garden wedding, but didn't want to be in a public park or pay a hefty price at a B&B.  The Confederate Home has a large, beautiful and private garden right in the middle of downtown, and the property is run by a non-profit organization so your rental fee can be deducted from your taxes as a charitable contribution.  It is relatively unknown because they don't really advertise or anything, and it is better for small groups I think, but we LOVED how our ceremony turned out there.  They also have quite a few large, historic rooms inside the buildings that can be used for reception spaces.  We checked some of them out and I wish I could have afforded to have the reception there as well, but the cost of all the outside rentals I would have needed didn't fit our budget.  So we did our reception in one of the private rooms at McCrady's restaurant which worked out perfectly! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know it may seem bleak at the moment, but I agree:  Keep searching!  If it was meant to be, then it would have worked!  There are so many gorgeous spots in Charleston.  Moving on can be hard, but take a deep breath, open your eyes and heart to new possibilities and keep a positive outlook and you will find your perfect venue!  Best Wishes and Good Luck
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm the opposite :( we can afford our dream place but I waited too long to start looking. Then I found another place we love and went to sign the contract just to be told they made a mistake and it was a tentative hold for someone to look at on Monday. I just want to give up :(
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards