Registry and Gift Forum

Thoughts on...

I am thinking of putting an insert on a business card with my wedding invite that reads:
The couple is registered at Target.
Monetary gifts gift cards are also welcomed.

My FI and I have been living together for 3 years don't really need much and we don't want to get things we do not need just to add clutter.

Is that appropriate?

Re: Thoughts on...

• edited June 2012
    No it is not appropriate. Your bridesmaids may include a registration card in a shower invite. Simply make sure that your mom, fmil, and bridesmaids know where you are registered and your guests will find out.
    Visit The Knot! White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 217 Invited...
    image 166 Got their boots on!
    image 49 Missin' out.
    image 2 are makin' us mailbox stalk!
    RSVP Date: September 1
  • Although some people do, it is never polite to mention gifts in the wedding invitation itself. It makes it look like you are inviting people to specifically get gifts. A better option would be to put the information on a wedding website, with other info about the wedding, and then put the website address in with the invite. (you can get free, easy to put together websites lots of places, btw) If you don't do a website, go with word of mouth. Tell your bridal party and both sets of parents where you are registered, and a specific goal you are saving for, mortgage, home repairs, honeymoon, whatever. Then, when guests ask you or them about gifts, the answer is "llbarb and her FI are registered at Target. They are also saving up money for X."
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    And even if you had somebody put them in your shower invites, they shouldn't mention cash ever.  It's really really tacky.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If your want your guests to cringe when they open your invite, sure go ahead. 

Seriously bad idea and very inappropriate. If people want to know where your are registered they will ask you or wedding party. Also people already know that cash/gift cards make a great gift so they don't need you to tell them that. You will just turn people off and will offend some of your guests with this request.

Just register for the things you need/want. No need to add extras just to fill it.
  • Nope very inappropriate. Not only is the registry thing bad, but even worse is the asking for cash gifts outright. Yuck. You say you don't want much of anything, but you are still registered. I think it's great to have a registry for upgrades and what not, but those two things seem contradictory.

You can spread your Target registry via word of mouth when asked where you are registered (and people will ask). You can also say, "We have a small registry at Target and are saving up for _______" insert something like a new house, furniture, a trip, etc. That gives people the hint that you would appreciate money. Plus people are not stupid and know that really anyone would appreciate getting money as a wedding gift. Definitely do not "suggest" to them on your invitation that they do so.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • DItto PP. Registry information does not belong on or inserted into a wedding invite.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Don't put any registry information on or with the invitations.

Don't mention cash, ever. In any way.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I did not include any registry info with the invitations.  It is however on my website.  Along with the long directions to my fiance's sister's home where we are having the reception.  It isn't that far, but it involves so many different streets we were not able to put the directions on one card in the invite.  So, instead of sending out an invitation novel (it was going to have 6 sheets) we decided to put up a website with hotel info, directions, event info, and the registry.

No idea if people are finding it or not as the invitations just went out yesterday, but we will see.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards