40-Plus Brides

Older bride needs age appropriate dress!

Hi everyone! Any ideas on where I can find a nice, casual, tea length, ivory dress for my wedding day? I've tried bridal shops and am now thinking I need to shop boutiques to find what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Re: Older bride needs age appropriate dress!

• I'm pretty sure both Ann Taylor and Banana Republic have "bridal lines" now - not sure about BR but AT should have something simple and tea length
  • Don't forget thrift shops. If in Harrisburg PA area, "Pink Hands of Hope" seems to always have nice gowns. They help local people with cancer get free wigs, clothing, etc. . Very nice items at very reasonable prices. Mechanicsburg PA. I'm 66 and found my dress on first shopping trip went to Michael's, eliminated the many strapless gowns, and found a beautiful halter gown in ivory, satiny, slimming, elegant, and on sale for 99.
  • You may want to try your local board, too.  
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_older-bride-needs-age-appropriate-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:8a516228-3d50-47c9-8f1c-a06ef712fc94Post:5bb83533-f64a-4e6c-a0cb-7b7a340ffe1f">Older bride needs age appropriate dress!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone! Any ideas on where I can find a nice, casual, tea length, ivory dress for my wedding day? I've tried bridal shops and am now thinking I need to shop boutiques to find what I'm looking for. Thanks!
    Posted by Runner61[/QUOTE]

Have you looked at Talbots?  Nordstrom? Lord & Taylor?
  • J crew has some beautiful dresses
  • I went to a bridal salon near me just to look. They were having a sample sale and I found the perfect floor length dress (I was in my 50's) . I purchased it, and then had them cut the hem to tea length in the front, longer in the back. They called this "opera length", but I'd never heard that term.

The dress can best be described as a "destination style" dress, which tends to be less formal and/or frilly than a formal wedding gown. It was a halter style, with chiffon overlay. beading & appliques on the bust and ruched middle.

Here's a picture (you can click on it to see it bigger).

I had a different ceremony dress, but changed into the above for the reception. I'd recommend looking for "destination wedding gowns" online to find manufacturers that make that style, also look at bridal salons. I'd also recommend bridesmaid dresses, which can be ordered in white.

After prom season is over in a couple of months you also may be able to find a nice white or off-white dress. You don't have to wear white either, you can wear any color that makes you feel great.

Good luck.
  • Alfred Angelo and David bridal both have gown that are our age appropriate.I am 47.I have tried on very flattering gowns.No cleavage showing.Etc. Also look at www.simplybridal.com
    Good Luck in your search!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • shein0918shein0918 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_older-bride-needs-age-appropriate-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:8a516228-3d50-47c9-8f1c-a06ef712fc94Post:5bb83533-f64a-4e6c-a0cb-7b7a340ffe1f">Older bride needs age appropriate dress!</a>:
    [QUOTE]. Look into the Watters & Watters Encore selection. I just bought my dress from this collection & love it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_older-bride-needs-age-appropriate-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:8a516228-3d50-47c9-8f1c-a06ef712fc94Post:5bb83533-f64a-4e6c-a0cb-7b7a340ffe1f">Older bride needs age appropriate dress!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone! Any ideas on where I can find a nice, casual, tea length, ivory dress for my wedding day? I've tried bridal shops and am now thinking I need to shop boutiques to find what I'm looking for. Thanks!
    Posted by Runner61[/QUOTE]

. Nordstom's and Dillard's have some beautiful ones in their formal evening wear dept. Good luck!
  • Bought exactly what you are looking for in Dillards cocktail/formal wear dept.  Cost $199.
  • My wedding dress is actually an Alfred Angelo bridesmaid dress in ivory. I'm over 40 and after trying on "wedding dresess" and not finding the right style for me, that is what the bridal salon recommended and it was a perfect suggestion. Check out their website and keep in mind that you can dress it up with a blingy belt or jewelry. Good luck!
  • Hi I am 54 and getting married to a great guy who has never been married before in August- and I do used to own a bridal shop for 14 years which I sold recently!  Try Nordstroms in the Natick Collection or Vows in Mass! Another great idea which a lot of people do is to get a bridesmaid dress in ivory or champagne- like Watters has great lace short or tea length bridesmaids dresses which you can get a colored lining and in long or short lengths and you can order cheaper on line!  I'm wearing a short lace dress as my first dress was long and I don't want to do anything like I did the first time around!  
  •   Ian Sturat Bridal has 3 or 4 like this. Stephanie James Couture does also-and with the Stephanie James line you can do a ton of customization. Also try Dolly Couture and Fancy New York.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Absolutely try vintage shops and thrift stores...especially, if you have enough time...at Halloween time. There are racks of dresses for costumes out, and you will be absolutely shocked to find so many gorgeous dresses!!! I stumbled upon mine while I was looking for a costume...saw it crammed between "costume" looking dresses and fell in love with it immediately!!! It is gorgeous, fits perfect, and was embarrassingly inexpensive. IT is ankle length, shimmery pearl, with spaghetti straps and a loose neckline. It will be amazing with the fun gold star fish flip flops that I found, and the beautiful pearl and diamond jewelry I will wear with it. I am getting married in Hawaii next June, and I am 50, my fiance' is 55. My dress was a magical find...hope you have the same good luck!!! 
  • Lord & Taylor and White House/Black Market are also options!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards