Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Venues - Mattress Factory, New Hazlett Theater

My fiance and I are considering the Mattress Factory museum or the New Hazlett Theater for our wedding ceremony & reception sites... has anyone had their wedding or been to weddings in either of these locations? If so, what was the experience like?

Thanks!
-Rachael

Re: Venues - Mattress Factory, New Hazlett Theater

• edited December 2011
    I haven't been to weddings there, but we did look in to both venues for our wedding. The Mattress Factory is pretty much a blank slate, on the smaller side for less than 100 guests, and you have to provide a lot of your own stuff. New Hazlett Theater seemed really cool with a great bar cocktail area and space for the ceremony in their theatre. The things we didn't like about the New Hazlett is that they were more in line with a cocktail reception than a sit down dinner, that you have to hire an artist of some sort if you want to have alcohol at your event, and that you have to buy your alcohol through them. If you haven't seen the venue yet, contact the coordinator and he'll send you a slideshow of photos. Pamela Marie (a photographer) also has some pictures from a wedding there: search "New Hazlett Theatre Wedding." And, if you search "Mattress Factory wedding", Caitlin Thomas has some pictures of a Mattress Factory wedding. The latter just seemed too cramped for me, but cool for a smaller reception. Good luck!

Married since May 12, 2012
  • REMovementREMovement member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much! We are seeing both venues this weekend and we're excited. There don't seem to be a lot of places in Pittsburgh that are budget friendly!
  • bgfst1bgfst1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! We're having our reception at The Mattress Factory, and I wouldn't call it budget friendly.... we're having a cocktail reception, and because of this are technically allowed to invite something like 350 ppl (which would make the space so cramped!). Its an awesome place if you love the art there, because you can have the galleries open (which we are), and the cafe space makes the perfect bar area. Gina, the event coordinator, is SO nice and amazing. She will answer any and all of your questions, and its awesome that they don't require you to use a specific caterer (great way to save money!). Also, they do have some chairs and tables there, and high boy/cocktail tables which we are using (we're not having seating for all our guests, since well, we want people to walk around the galleries and are treating our reception more as a party than a a formal reception).
  • edited December 2011
    my husband's cousin had their wedding at the Hazlett Theatre. They were very pleased with their experience. The wedding was beautiful it was a very nice venue and very unique.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards