Wedding Party

How much should I spend on Bridesmaids gifts

I know this might sound clueless, but I am just really not sure. What would be an acceptable range to spend on a bridesmaid gift. I am not Rockafeller lol, but I do not want to be cheap either....Just reasonable. I only have 3 ladies and 1 Flower girl to buy for. I am just worried I would hate for them to receive my gift and think "really this is it" LOL.

Your thoughts....
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How much should I spend on Bridesmaids gifts

• There is no acceptable range.  You should only spend what you feel comfortable spending, nothing more, nothing less.

This is a gift and gifts should be welcomed no matter how much they cost and for anyone to bad mouth a gift they should be slapped across the face (well, not really but their gift should be taken back damn it!)

As for my two BMs...I bought them each a Coach purse (from the outlet), I probably spent $100 each...if I had more to buy for my budget would have been smaller for each girl.

Also, make sure to shop for them like it is there birthday...a sentimental gift that is individual to each girl means a lot more then the same monogrammed tote that has absolutely no thought behind it.

• Whatever you can afford and feel is appropriate.

That being said, I know everyone is on a budget, but really sit down and look at where your wedding money is going. Getting inexpensive but thoughtful gifts for your BMs if you are truly low on funds is one thing, but if you have money going to monogrammed cocktail napkins and a Soon to be Mrs. XYZ hoodie for yourself and that only leaves $10 per bridesmaid then it's probably time for some reallocation of your funds.
  • I have 3 bridesmaids to buy for, and I'm sticking with a $50 budget for each.  I kind of picked the number out of thin air, trying to find something I could afford without looking like I was not appreciative of their support.  It's more important to get something they will appreciate, because it shows you actually thought about them and didn't just get them any ole gift you could think of, than to spend a certain amount of money.
  • I went to an area nearby that has a huge Indian population and bought all my BM's a set of bangle bracelets in my wedding accent color. Each set was 5 bucks and they're gorgeous. Overall I'm spending $26 bucks!
  • I have a very low budget for this, 50.00 total for 7 gals. I bought plain tote bags on Amazon for 3.50/each and printable iron-on paper, and I am making each of them a unique tote with a picture/design that I think fits each gal. It's personal, useful, and DIY!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_how-much-should-i-spend-on-bridesmaids-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:5b5001d6-3c0a-47b0-a1ca-7bb14ab349b6Post:b9cc7d07-f8bd-4d17-a8e0-8788902bd81b">Re: How much should I spend on Bridesmaids gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went to an area nearby that has a huge Indian population and bought all my BM's a set of bangle bracelets in my wedding accent color. Each set was 5 bucks and they're gorgeous. Overall I'm spending $26 bucks!
    Posted by chunchmeow[/QUOTE]
    Why would they want bracelets in your wedding color?

• So I'm going to be crass and attach a dollar figure here.  I think you should spend at least what they paid for their dress.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_how-much-should-i-spend-on-bridesmaids-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:5b5001d6-3c0a-47b0-a1ca-7bb14ab349b6Post:116c7d3d-1090-45da-a750-aa94d71a75ae">Re: How much should I spend on Bridesmaids gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I'm going to be crass and attach a dollar figure here.  I think you should spend at least what they paid for their dress.  
    Posted by ceh789[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I was considerate and picked dresses under $150' and their gift will be around the cost of their dress.
  • Spend what you can. We (my FI and I) each have 9 attendants. I know its a lot but we have a big family and a lot of  close friends. So far I have spent about 14 on each and plan to spend another 10 at least. I am buying one thing at a time. Like I bought all of their bags last month, and this month I got them all something else. So I am spacing out so I don't spend so much money all at once. And I don't agree with the spend as much on them as they paid for the dress. That gets expensive!!
    Soon to be Mrs. Roberts :)Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• ceh789ceh789 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    <div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_how-much-should-i-spend-on-bridesmaids-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:5b5001d6-3c0a-47b0-a1ca-7bb14ab349b6Post:85641490-09f3-46d0-9d26-cac83b206ed4">Re: How much should I spend on Bridesmaids gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much should I spend on Bridesmaids gifts : What?! That is absolutely ridiculous. <strong>So you're saying that if my girls pay $225 for a dress, that I should spend that much on each of them? </strong>That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard.  Spend what you can afford. I am planning on getting my girls nice clutches, a piece of jewelry to wear, and proably something (or things) else (what I don't know yet). 
    Posted by spartybride3[/QUOTE]
    That's exactly what I'm saying.  I don't think your BMs should have a net cost to be your BM.  There you have it. </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_how-much-should-i-spend-on-bridesmaids-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:5b5001d6-3c0a-47b0-a1ca-7bb14ab349b6Post:b9165c8e-8fca-4dd8-9b5b-0aec204d640e">Re: How much should I spend on Bridesmaids gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]And I don't agree with the spend as much on them as they paid for the dress. That gets expensive!!
    Posted by kendalldavis[/QUOTE]
    It's definately something one needs to think about before they have say, 9 attendants and $200 dresses.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_how-much-should-i-spend-on-bridesmaids-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:5b5001d6-3c0a-47b0-a1ca-7bb14ab349b6Post:116c7d3d-1090-45da-a750-aa94d71a75ae">Re: How much should I spend on Bridesmaids gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I'm going to be crass and attach a dollar figure here.  I think you should spend at least what they paid for their dress.  
    Posted by ceh789[/QUOTE]

I very much disagree with this.

I understand your sentiment that if you expect your girls to pay X amount for a dress, that you should try to "repay" them, but I very much think that's the wrong way to go about it.  When asked to be a BM, you know you're responsible for your own dress and what not.  This is an expected expense, and if bridemaids were worried about everything being "even" I don't think you'd see bridesmaids very often...

You don't agree to be a BM and expect that you'll be repaid in one way or another.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_how-much-should-i-spend-on-bridesmaids-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:5b5001d6-3c0a-47b0-a1ca-7bb14ab349b6Post:154f1504-ff09-461d-9242-01d652d6ba63">Re: How much should I spend on Bridesmaids gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: <strong>How much should I spend on Bridesmaids gifts : I agree with this. I was considerate and picked dresses under $150' and their gift will be around the cost of their dress.</strong>
    Posted by lalaweddingdiva[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with the sentiment around this. I don't own a dress over $75, so buying bridesmaids dresses that are expensive (which I have done, and not spoken up for myself, which was my fault) and getting a $5 pair of earrings (and a crappy thank you note) in return is like, um, okay... Snotty? yes. Honest? yes. So I think though this thought might be extreme, it's a good way to have brides take a step back and think about the dress budgets. </div>
  • Look on ETSY.com they have some really cute and reasonable priced gift ideas. My wedding is in Mexico so got each girl a passport travel case and a pair of Coach flip flops. I will be spending about $50.00 on each girl which I think is reasonable. I found the flipflops on EBAY, new for a really good price! 

I don't think the $$  is really what counts, totally the thought behind it.  Someone doesn't agree to be your bridesmaid becuase they think they are going to get an expensive gift! But just be thoughtful and show them your gratitude.

Happy Planning!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_how-much-should-i-spend-on-bridesmaids-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:5b5001d6-3c0a-47b0-a1ca-7bb14ab349b6Post:287c5d0f-222f-4d69-bf33-4dbe2f331a22">Re: How much should I spend on Bridesmaids gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much should I spend on Bridesmaids gifts : I agree with the sentiment around this. I don't own a dress over $75, so buying bridesmaids dresses that are expensive (which I have done, and not spoken up for myself, which was my fault) and getting a $5 pair of earrings (and a crappy thank you note) in return is like, um, okay... Snotty? yes. Honest? yes. So I think though this thought might be extreme, it's a good way to have brides take a step back and think about the dress budgets. 
    Posted by misssunshine17[/QUOTE]

Ladies take note this is how your friends feel. This type of thing is why many girls in their late 20s don't want to serve in weddings, period. if you made ur friends buy a dress over $200, do your stupid arts and crafts projects, they worked so hard planning your shower/bachelorette and get them a crappy $20 pair of earrings, congrats on being a rude and crappy friend. I read one article said the average cost to serve as BM is $1600! Ridiculous!

Although it is your day, it's rude and inconsiderate to "honor" your friends by making them spend a large amount on a dress they don't like and will never wear again. Be prepared to buy them something nice that they will love and use regularly, and yes it should be equivalent to their dress. I am having a formal wedding and realistically an appropriate dress for all guests will cost at least $100' so I'm keeping my maids in the same ballpark. I suggest y'all do the same so your friends don't feel taken advantage of when theyre disappointed about the cheap bengals you got them in our wedding color.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_how-much-should-i-spend-on-bridesmaids-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:5b5001d6-3c0a-47b0-a1ca-7bb14ab349b6Post:8d4ba43b-8eb9-4c50-9fa2-902cc9f8c2c8">Re: How much should I spend on Bridesmaids gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to  Re: How much should I spend on Bridesmaids gifts : That's exactly what I'm saying.  I don't think your BMs should have a net cost to be your BM.  There you have it. In Response to Re: How much should I spend on Bridesmaids gifts : It's definately something one needs to think about before they have say, 9 attendants and $200 dresses.
    Posted by ceh789[/QUOTE]

AGREE!!
  • SKPMSKPM member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    So on the train of thought about matching the cost of the dress, what about if I paid for their dresses?

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_how-much-should-i-spend-on-bridesmaids-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:5b5001d6-3c0a-47b0-a1ca-7bb14ab349b6Post:07daeb52-5c14-4b11-a139-462e3ee9ca85">Re:How much should I spend on Bridesmaids gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]So on the train of thought about matching the cost of the dress, what about if I paid for their dresses?
    Posted by SKPM[/QUOTE]

Get them something nice and thoughtful. It was nice and considerate of you to cover the dress. Price is not determinative of what is a good gift in either case. We were just saying it seems selfish/self centered for a bride to not consider budget when choosing BM dresses but suddenly get cheap when it comes to choosing the gift. Dresses can be expensive and your friends probably spent a lot of time on parties or helping you with wedding stuff or kept u sane when u needed it. The gift should be a token of appreciation for your friend, not some crapola u picked up cheap that they probably don't want. The idea of coach flip flops and passport case is nice.
  • Disagree that you have to buy them something that costs the same as the dress.  Most of the women I will consider having as BMs are people for whom I was a BM.....I bought the dresses and graciously accepted the jewelry in their wedding colors, and I'm sure they will too.  :)  I am blessed to have friends who don't have a score sheet to keep track of how much we spend on each other.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am buying my bridesmaids their necklaces for the wedding and I was thinking about getting them a few other things. I don't believe you should spend the same amount as they paid for the dress, if that's what everyone thinks then you should have just bought all their dresses in the first place. You are afterall paying for everything else in the wedding, it is up to you and your budget. Just because you spend a lot of money on a gift dosen't mean they will like it...or even that it's a good gift, you should get them all something that reflects their personality or your friendship. Whether you make them something or buy them something it's completely up to you. 
    Anniversary
  • I’ve always forum it so interesting how many different people are on these blogs. It jumps from $5 per a gift to $200 per a gift! Wow. To each her own.

I have been in every single one of my bridesmaid’s weddings except one she got married before I knew her Fiancés sister. And each of them got me a gift ranging from $20 - $50. I plan to do the same. Of course I’m also trying to keep the bridesmaid dresses close to $100 (which is apparently harder) and a paying for one night’s stay at a hotel since the wedding is out of town.

Unfortunately there is no right answered here just go with your gut and in a year no one will even care.

• A girl I know got her bridesmaids cute, very good quality (silk maybe?) bathrobes as a gift.  She got each girl a different style/color based (I assume) on what they would like.  Yes, they used them the morning of while getting ready, but I thought it was nice that it was something that would be useful long after the wedding too, as opposed to jewelry, etc. for the wedding itself.  I was thinking of doing something like that, maybe get them monogrammed, and maybe another smaller, more personalized gift for each girl. 
  • Spend what you can afford. But while I don't think you should spend what they spent on the dress, I do think you should take the cost of the dress into consideration. If they purchased a $200 dress for your wedding and then you spend $10 on them, then that's wrong.
    I paid for part of my girls' dresses, bought their shoes, my mom bought their earrings, flip flops for the reception and then I am getting them a monogrammed necklace (not for the wedding) on Etsy and possibly one other thing. It has ended up being more than I would have initially spent, but all things were items I've purchased along the way over several months so the cost was spread out a bit. 
  • Spend what you can afford but I personally REFUSE to buy them something that pertains to MY wedding. I think you should put forth the effort to buy them something THEY would like and use. I only have a Maid of Honor, but I had no help planning or doing ANYTHING for my wedding and I am actually 6 months pregnant so I am going to spend $25-$30 on her and i know she will be happy with whatever I get her. I plan on getting her a small clutch like purse and a bunch of nail polish and nail supplies as i know she is OBSESSED with doing her nails. 
  • @agsmith000

That's a very nice sentiment toward your MOH, but this thread is over a year old!

• And I earned a flag for this statement? What the hell? @KnotPorscha this is silly. 
  • @PDKH I'll add you to my list for undeserved flags and reach out to the user. Thanks for the heads up!
  • I think the costs of the gift should reflect the extravagance of the wedding.  For example, if you paid for pricey designer invitations etc. but you get your BMs a $5 gift, there might be an issue. 
  • Khloe12Khloe12 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2013
    I don't think you need to spend what they spent on their dress!! They would have attended your wedding with a new dress regardless if they were in the wedding or not!! That is silly. You need to be thoughtful of the gifts and mindful of the time and effort they put into your events i.e. bachelorette party, showers, luncheon, etc. I think spending around $75-$100 is acceptable. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards