New Jersey
Options

The Tides Info ??!!!??

Hello again, brides and brides to be!

Went to an open house there tonight, and I thought it looked beautiful for the most part. I really like the fact that the small ballroom holds a max 150 people... because my finance and I only want about 100 tops... As far as food goes, maybe it was just an off night for me or them, but I had higher expectations and can't say I was blown away as compared to other venues.

From reading reviews from other websites, there were quite a few who commented on their cakes being lop-sided, or just "thrown together." None the less, before I set up an appt with them, I would love to hear what you know or have experienced. Price per plate, what time of year, good or bad experiences.. any and all info would be great! Thanks in advance!

Re: The Tides Info ??!!!??

• Options
    Getting married there this weekend so I can't comment on some things.  They have been great to work with so far though.  With reading the reviews... yes, they aren't known for their cakes.  I knew that going in, but we also have the viennese hour so I wasn't overly concerned.  We also picked one of the more simple cake designs.  We didnt want to make it too complicated.  Our reception is in the Manchester room (downstairs) and we have 117 people.  I think it will be a perfect fit for the room.  You can PM me (today or tomorrow) for info on pricing.  We had to guarantee 115 for a Saturday in April.  For us, their prices went up May 1. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_the-tides-info?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:ccd02a0e-86a9-47be-8991-11f550ba830aPost:ecbbd871-0465-4467-b8ae-e3d246f22219">Re: The Tides Info ??!!!??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Getting married there this weekend so I can't comment on some things.  They have been great to work with so far though.  With reading the reviews... yes, they aren't known for their cakes.  I knew that going in, but we also have the viennese hour so I wasn't overly concerned.  We also picked one of the more simple cake designs.  We didnt want to make it too complicated.  Our reception is in the Manchester room (downstairs) and we have 117 people.  I think it will be a perfect fit for the room.  You can PM me (today or tomorrow) for info on pricing.  We had to guarantee 115 for a Saturday in April.  For us, their prices went up May 1. 
    Posted by Shan1214[/QUOTE]

We are getting married at The Tides in July.  We had a private tasting before we booked and the food was awesome.  I never went to an open house there so I can't comment on your experience.  We are getting married in the ballroom upstairs we had to guarantee 175 for that room however our guest list is 230 so that was not a problem for us.  They have been great to work with through out the entire planning process.  We have our formal tasting in 3 weeks. 

They are not known for their cakes but this was not a big deal for us since we are also getting the Viennese hour as well.  We will be getting married outside in the gardens.  I have heard nothing but great things about The Tides.  Their cocktail hour is insane with the amount of food they have. 

We knew as soon as we pulled up the driveway that we were going to fall in love with The Tides and we did.  Good luck with your search and I would highly recommend The Tides.
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2012
    We paid $80pp on a Saturday night in April 2010. With tax/gratuity factored in, it came out to roughly $101pp. They negotiated with us a bit on the price.

A Friday night in March would've been $65pp, but we decided against it because we preferred a Saturday. Plus it would've been during Lent, and we're Catholic (no meat on Fridays).

Service was great, the downstairs room comfortably fit our 120 guests, we got lots of compliments on the cocktail hour food and the Viennese hour food. Dinner was also very good and our guests had four meal choices (chicken, fish, steak, eggplant). We really had no issues at all.

I personally didn't think our cake was all that great-looking. MH and my parents said it looked fine, and they're honest about that sort of thing. It really tasted great, though (chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling). And the Viennese hour was so extensive that most people didn't opt for the wedding cake anyway. There were all sorts of pies, cakes, ice cream, pastries and a chocolate fountain. I didn't see the whole setup - by the time I wandered out to the lobby to look at it, everyone had practically demolished it.

I would definitely recommend The Tides. We were really pleased with our reception.
  • Options
    I was at the open house last nite too!!  We loved it!  My cousin got married there 6 years ago and the food and venue itself are still just as good. We're pretty sold on the place.  I don't think we'll be able to find as nice of a venue, at such a good price, for the amount of people we have to invite (around 250) We would plan on doing the Viennese table so to me the cake is just a minor detail.

For those of you having your weddings there do you have any advice?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My fiancé and I are getting married there in may of 2013. We booked the room downstairs a year and a half in advance for a Sunday evening wedding and are paying $85 per person plus tax/gratuity, the Viennese table was thrown in for free and we have to guarantee a minimum of 100 people. We are also having our ceremony there which is $7 per person. The tides is actually really good at negotiating, so don't be scared to ask for things for free or for less. I have coworkers that booked the tides and received oyster bars and the ceremony free so ask, also, if your open to different dates you can ask to book a cancellation if they have it and end up paying half the price.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards