Offbeat Weddings

Hay Barrel a seats

Has anyone used or want to use hay as seating for the ceremony? I was thinking of either all hay seating with blankets over the hay for comfort. Or hay seating for people who cant get up off the floor and have a pile of blankets for people to sit on.
Has anyone done this or want to? I was googeling some pictures and i love the idea. Since it will be in the woods i think it will really tie in the nature feel.

Re: Hay Barrel a seats

• Congrats on your engagement! I see nothing wrong with using the hay bales with blankets as seating for your ceremony, but I vote for making sure everyone has a "seat" off of the ground. 

Ladies will most likely be in some type of a dress, (unless you've already informed guests they can wear pants/jeans), which would make sitting on the ground less than ideal, the ground could be wet or hard on the day of the ceremony, and there's always the possibility of bugs. You know your crowd best but I tend to get the feeling that even if an adult is physically able of sitting on the ground, most don't really enjoy it. 

If I was a guest at your wedding and there wasn't a hay bale seat for me, I would opt to stand which then might mean I'd need to move to the side so I'm not blocking anyone's view who did chose to sit on the ground. Also, if only some people get to sit then where will those hay bales be placed? If the hay bales are up front then it might block the view of people sitting on the ground behind them; if the hay bales are in the back then older relatives might not be able to see or hear as well. 

I hope none of that came off as negative or preachy and I wish you luck with your wedding planning!
  • Definitely have enough bales to seat everyone.  Also, make sure any guests with relevant allergies know what's coming in advance, so they can come prepared.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I went to one of those about twenty years ago.  They used straw and haybales, and yes, the bales were covered with Navajo blankets.  There were also folding chairs available.  Everyone who didn't know hay bales were going to be used, figured it out since it took place in the middle of their ranch!
  • I went to a wedding that did the hay bales with blankets and it worked great. I definitely do suggest making sure there are enough actual seats for everyone though. When people dress for a wedding very few are dressed to be able to sit on blankets on the ground.
  • I really appreciate your response and it was NOT negative what so ever. You brought up relevant things. Someone brought up about allergies. I didnt think of allergies from hay but of course people may, so ill start asking. Thank you for the advice ladies.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_hay-barrel-a-seats?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:ee87fd68-4013-455b-83bd-3468dc97e119Post:e344d836-da13-4905-9c14-a25a3e51d0f9">Re: Hay Barrel a seats</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats on your engagement! I see nothing wrong with using the hay bales with blankets as seating for your ceremony, but I vote for making sure everyone has a "seat" off of the ground.  Ladies will most likely be in some type of a dress, (unless you've already informed guests they can wear pants/jeans), which would make sitting on the ground less than ideal, the ground could be wet or hard on the day of the ceremony, and there's always the possibility of bugs. You know your crowd best but I tend to get the feeling that even if an adult is physically able of sitting on the ground, most don't really enjoy it.  If I was a guest at your wedding and there wasn't a hay bale seat for me, I would opt to stand which then might mean I'd need to move to the side so I'm not blocking anyone's view who did chose to sit on the ground. Also, if only some people get to sit then where will those hay bales be placed? If the hay bales are up front then it might block the view of people sitting on the ground behind them; if the hay bales are in the back then older relatives might not be able to see or hear as well.  I hope none of that came off as negative or preachy and I wish you luck with your wedding planning!
    Posted by FluffyGumDrop2[/QUOTE]
  • I used them for my wedding. I didn't think to let people know with hay allergies, but honestly, who has time for that when they're planning their wedding? I didn't hear any complaints though and no one stood. Here's a pic

• WOW beautiful! I love the look so much. How much did you pay per bale? My fi's father says in his neck of the woods they are about 20 dollars each. How did you go about finding them? Rent them? Buy them? Any advice?

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_hay-barrel-a-seats?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:ee87fd68-4013-455b-83bd-3468dc97e119Post:60f593ea-c6ff-4c55-84de-380b708e317e">Re: Hay Barrel a seats</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used them for my wedding. I didn't think to let people know with hay allergies, but honestly, who has time for that when they're planning their wedding? I didn't hear any complaints though and no one stood. Here's a pic
    Posted by balletdawn[/QUOTE]
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_hay-barrel-a-seats?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:ee87fd68-4013-455b-83bd-3468dc97e119Post:f2e80453-db1e-4d9c-ae44-9679c22b17c0">Re: Hay Barrel a seats</a>:
    [QUOTE]WOW beautiful! I love the look so much. How much did you pay per bale? My fi's father says in his neck of the woods they are about 20 dollars each. How did you go about finding them? Rent them? Buy them? Any advice? In Response to Re: Hay Barrel a seats :
    Posted by BunnieBride143[/QUOTE]
    We lucked out, because the woman who keeps her horses on the property needed to buy hay around that time. So she paid for it. We just had to move it from the barn to the field and back again the next day. I would contact a feed store in your area and see if they have any suggestions. 
  • If your going to pay for $20-$30.00/bale please condsider the type of hay you are buying..those prices sound like alfalfa-timothy mixes..Even grass hay and lanscaping straw can be reused.You may want to consider donating the bales to a local Equine(horse) rescue
    Hay prices are high and the rescues are stuggling..for free hay im sure some will even come pick it up from your location. ..you can even mention that the bales are being donated to a rescue on the back of your seating cards..if your concerned with guests opinions of sitting on hay..
  • I think that donating them is a great idea!!!

I wouldve never thought of that!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards