Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

butterfly release

I recently came across the butterfly release for weddings. I was curious if anyone has done this and how it worked for you.... I plan on having my wedding outdoors in view of the red rocks in Sedona,AZ and though this would be more fun then bubbles. Not to mention how gorgeous it would be given our location

Re: butterfly release

• Options
    I've never seen it done, but I've heard stories from friends. The butterflies come in little envelopes. They don't all survive the process. With a good proportion, you open the envelope, and the dead arthropod falls to the ground. Not recommended.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_butterfly-release-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:bd173967-e8fe-4837-83f8-0232647f7c7aPost:05018fa9-f43a-4b69-b904-1a84e8f47163">butterfly release</a>:
    [QUOTE]I recently came across the butterfly release for weddings. I was curious if anyone has done this and how it worked for you.... I plan on having my wedding outdoors in view of the red rocks in Sedona,AZ and though this would be more fun then bubbles. Not to mention how gorgeous it would be given our location
    Posted by missaprilmarie1988[/QUOTE]

Yes, by all means, living breathing creatures are meant to be used as props for your pretty princess day.
  • Options
    Besides being animal cruelty the butterflies often die and fall to the ground.  I've only heard horror stories about them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    oh gosh here we go with animal rights activist... I thought about the potential of them dying HENCE why I posted.... but come on lets not pull the PETA soapbox moment.... if any of you eat any form of animal products or wear leather leather or fur, you also contribute to animal cruelty... so get off it
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_butterfly-release-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:bd173967-e8fe-4837-83f8-0232647f7c7aPost:17f10da1-0b32-4e17-b29b-4639b179b435">Re: butterfly release</a>:
    [QUOTE]oh gosh here we go with animal rights activist... I thought about the potential of them dying HENCE why I posted.... but come on lets not pull the PETA soapbox moment.... if any of you eat any form of animal products or wear leather leather or fur, you also contribute to animal cruelty... so get off it

No one is hopping up on a PETA soapbox, but I do believe there is a difference between using animals/animal products for food and warmth versus pure decoration.  That's what I believe PPs were pointing out to you.  Don't get so defensive.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_butterfly-release-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:bd173967-e8fe-4837-83f8-0232647f7c7aPost:17f10da1-0b32-4e17-b29b-4639b179b435">Re: butterfly release</a>:
    [QUOTE]oh gosh here we go with animal rights activist... I thought about the potential of them dying HENCE why I posted.... but come on lets not pull the PETA soapbox moment.... if any of you eat any form of animal products or wear leather leather or fur, you also contribute to animal cruelty... so get off it
    Aren't you a peach.  If you don't want people's opinions don't ask.  I am in no way a PETA supporter but don't think animals are decorations.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_butterfly-release-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:bd173967-e8fe-4837-83f8-0232647f7c7aPost:17f10da1-0b32-4e17-b29b-4639b179b435">Re: butterfly release</a>:

Really?  You came here asking about a practice that is nothing more than traumatizing an animal for the sake of a pretty show.  Using an animal for its meat or pelt is hardly on the same level.  These butterfly releases are cruel because they freeze dry the insects and then they "thaw" and fly away. Most of the butterflies don't survive the process.  By having a butterfly release, you are essentially killing numerous living creatures for a photo op.  Would you do the same thing to kittens or puppies?  No.  Why are butterflies different?

The ones that do live are now in an environment they are not used to.  They can do massive damage to an ecosystem that does not normally support the specific species of insect.

This is not a PETA thing.  This is a human being thing.  We survive on the meat of other animals as do countless other creatures that inhabit this planet. Everything is part of something else's food chain.  That is the way of life. We use animal pelts to stay warm. This has been done since we crawled out of the water.  These behaviors are not cruel.   They are survival.   Using or killing an animal so you can have a "beautiful picture"  is cruel.  The fact that you don't understand that is revolting.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Options
    Okay, if animal cruelty isn't an issue for you, I'll leave that part of the post out. 

Here's why they are a bad idea:

A good percentage of the butterflies arrive dead, or very, very groggy.  You open the little box, and if you don't crush it in the process (which also happens pretty frequently) a number of them fly away (they don't land prettily on people, they are scared, and fly away asap.) The rest of them fall out of the package dead, or looking dead.  It's sort of depressing.  The ones that got squashed while the package was being opened tumble to the ground and squirm around.  It's really not the beautiful image people picture when they imagine "butterfly release" Have people throw petals, or blow bubbles, or something less likely to come out dead. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_butterfly-release-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:bd173967-e8fe-4837-83f8-0232647f7c7aPost:17f10da1-0b32-4e17-b29b-4639b179b435">Re: butterfly release</a>:

Butterfly sh!t on the tables is so in this year!
  • Options
    Crappy idea. Try something else. Bubbles are fun!
  • Options
    I just want to add that I'm fairly certain this question gets asked at least once a week.  Same thing with goldfish bowls as centerpieces.   Everyone who asks this question gets the same response.

If you've lurked here at all, read back a few days, or done a board search, you would have seen this same answer multiple times over.   Your situation isn't any different than anyone else who has asked about butterfly releases.  So maybe next time do some looking around before asking the same question and expecting a different answer than all of the other brides who ask about this.

However, it is always entertaining to see who goes, "Hmm, dead bugs, I never thought about that, now I definitely will NOT be doing this, thanks for your help" and who goes, "I didn't ask for an animal rights discussion!"    So thanks for that.
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    Bad idea. Try something else. If you want something different than bubbles, I have seen streamers waved, sparklers (depending on time of day, location, and regulations), flower petals, or little flags waved with sayings like "Congrats." Any of those would be better than releasing butterflies, for all of the reasons PPs have already covered.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    Bad idea for reasons PPs mentioned.  And not everyone loves butterflies.  I don't mind spiders, snakes, etc. but for some reasons butterflies make my skin crawl and I would 100% freak out if anyone did this at a wedding I attended.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    LauraChristinLauraChristin member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I have seen several butterfly releases. I haven't seen them use envelopes but have seen them in boxes. The PP who said they are frozen or very chilled is correct. Most of them don't fly out of the box so the kid or whoever is releasing them ends up shaking or banging the box to get them out (not such a pretty moment) and it's generally underwhelming. 

I vote no.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I thought this would be a nice touch for our wedding until I heard they freeze them until they're ready to be released. 

I thought it was cruel, but may still have done it if I weren't marrying a vegetarian. That would go against his kind and empathetic nature and be terrible ceremony choice considering this. 

So I guess, if you can stomach it and your fiance can stomach it, it would be a nice touch. 

ETA: I just went back and read the previous posts. Now I don't think it's a good idea for anyone. The whole idea of them being all groggy and squirming on the ground sounds more like a horror show. ick!
  • Options
    I'm not involved with PETA but I would not do a butterfly release or any animal/living creature release.

Its not what you think OP, this is not Hollywood.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Options
    harpsdesireharpsdesire member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    One thing that is arguably a 'less cruel' option is to find a local person who raises and trains homing pigeons.

A couple white pigeons (aka doves) can be let out, and know how to fly home to the roost.  You can ask people who keep them as pets, but driving them a short distance and letting them out to 'home' once in a while is generally considered non-harmful, it is similar to a natural behavior of the bird.

You still risk getting poo'd on though, but at least they won't die and the owner would know how to transport, handle and release them to minimize stress on the pigeons.

ETA:  I am not personally considering any animal-related wedding activites.
  • Options
    OMG!!! YOU WOMEN ARE HORRID!!! I ASKED OUT OF BEING CURIOUS!!!! NOW THAT I KNOW THE DETAILS I HAVE NO PLANS OF DOING A BUTTERFLY RELEASE.... BUT SOME OF YOU MEAN A$$$ BRIDES WERE STRAIGHT RUDE AS HELL!!!! HOLY HELL ON HEELS... I PITY UR HUSBANDS, I REALLLLLLLY ASKED OUT OF CURIOSITY!!!! BUT HOLY SHIZZ BALLS YOU ALL WENT INTO ATTACK MODE!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK TO THE MEN WHO HAVE TO BE WITH YOU TO DEATH DO YOU PART!!!!
  • Options

for the record.... I am all organic(not vegitarian), work as a vet.... sooo yes I do have a heart for animals of every shape and form.... I just asked out of curiosity.... some of you became reallly damm heated over nothing..... so honestly when someone asks a generic question dont snap.....c'mon lets grow up a bit

• Options
    give the girl a break. I didn't know people did butterfly releases and consequently knew nothing about it until I clicked on the post. Just because she didn't know how things work with it and how it is cruel to the butterflies does not make her a horrible person. She would be horrible if then now knowing these things went ahead and used this for her wedding, but she isn't. People need to calm down, on both sides. There were no butterflies harmed in the making of this post.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_butterfly-release-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:bd173967-e8fe-4837-83f8-0232647f7c7aPost:406c336f-4649-491a-b957-a6a77764d464">Re: butterfly release</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just want to add that I'm fairly certain this question gets asked at least once a week.  Same thing with goldfish bowls as centerpieces.   Everyone who asks this question gets the same response. If you've lurked here at all, <strong>read back a few days, or done a board search, you would have seen this same answer multiple times over.</strong>   Your situation isn't any different than anyone else who has asked about butterfly releases.  So maybe next time do some looking around before asking the same question and expecting a different answer than all of the other brides who ask about this. However, it is always entertaining to see who goes, "Hmm, dead bugs, I never thought about that, now I definitely will NOT be doing this, thanks for your help" and who goes, "I didn't ask for an animal rights discussion!"    So thanks for that.
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

I hate when people on here say that.  Not everyone has been lurking around THEKNOT for the passed 10years.  If its so troublesome to answer something that you have already answered with some1 else, then dont answer it, or dont open it....  smh. 

Kindness is dead...

Also on the butterfly release thing... Ive never seen the butterfly release thing done in person but I saw it 2x on "four weddings" the tv show.  on one of them 2 brides had it.  One of them, it was really pretty and the other one....dead bugs. and the bride just frowned
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_butterfly-release-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:bd173967-e8fe-4837-83f8-0232647f7c7aPost:c33e84ec-3a82-4ce8-894b-4bb449f814f4">Re: butterfly release</a>:
    [QUOTE]give the girl a break. I didn't know people did butterfly releases and consequently knew nothing about it until I clicked on the post. Just because she didn't know how things work with it and how it is cruel to the butterflies does not make her a horrible person. She would be horrible if then now knowing these things went ahead and used this for her wedding, but she isn't. People need to calm down, on both sides. <strong>There were no butterflies harmed in the making of this post.</strong>
    Posted by lembof[/QUOTE]

That is the best sentence in this entire post
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_butterfly-release-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:bd173967-e8fe-4837-83f8-0232647f7c7aPost:9f2ec9b1-203a-482f-8429-a35a2e929bca">Re: butterfly release</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: butterfly release : I hate when people on here say that.  <strong><em>Not everyone has been lurking around THEKNOT for the passed 10years</em></strong>. <strong><em> If its so troublesome to answer something that you have already answered with some1 else, then dont answer it, or dont open it....  </em></strong>smh.  Kindness is dead... Also on the butterfly release thing... Ive never seen the butterfly release thing done in person but I saw it 2x on "four weddings" the tv show.  on one of them 2 brides had it.  One of them, it was really pretty and the other one....dead bugs. and the bride just frowned
    Posted by RealHappyGal[/QUOTE]

Hit the nail on the head. Thanks girl.... so this thread is over with now.... On to other ideas and suggestions.....
  • Options
    Wow those butterflies are expensive! Upwards of 7 dollars for each one! I could order a whole mess of larvae for 15 bucks or so and rear them myself. I may not object to the release itself, but I do object to paying that much for it.

(I work with bugs so this isn't weird for me)
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image
  • Options
    I wouldn't have responded again, but I got an email so I actually read the rest of the posts. There is a LOT of misinformation about butterflies here people. I work with bugs and frequently ship live insects in the mail. (I'm a scientist, not a wedding vendor). 

First off, you can't freeze butterflies. So no, they wouldn't arrive frozen or in any state like that. You can't even put them in the fridge. (They die, trust me, opppps). I sometimes ship insects with an ice pack, but that doesn't cool them down too much (only enough to keep them sleepy and happy) and they are perfectly fine afterwards. I guess the companies do that based on what PP said. This is fine.

Second, shipping insects in the mail is a little more complicated than just slapping it in a box at the post office- you need to follow the USDA restrictions. These companies wouldn't be allowed to ship butterflies to non native areas. It's a pretty big deal. 

Third, yeah the butterflies are just going to fly away. They won't land on people and take pretty pictures which is why I think butterfly releases are stupid. Flying insects have something called a negative geotaxic response- they will instintively fly upward. 

I guess that's it. Oh, also they are way overpriced but I already said that. 
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image
  • Options
    Please give me your opinion, unless I don't like it.  If I don't like it, I PITY UR HUSBANDS!!!1!!1!!

(btw, it's also a bad idea to introduce foreign insects into your local ecosystem.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • Options

I did this at my first wedding.  The butterflies were all alive, and it was beautiful.  Guests loved it.

We ordered butterflies that were indigeneous to the area, which any good company will help you do.

I say, if you want to do it, go for it!

• Options
    wow!!! butterfly police are out and patrolling this post like crazy.....lmao! I also was unaware of the process of how you would get the butterflies but i wasn't going to do this anyway. i like the idea of a PP stating to release doves instead. not for the pictures but just a nice thing for your guests to witness, doves in flight. man oh man, bridezillas on pms is what this post made me think of....lol. good luck hun!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    Be careful about releasing birds at a wedding...one woman I know did that and the first of the pair got blown into a cliff by a gust of wind (it was a mountaintop wedding), and then a hawk swooped down and grabbed the other bird - all while the guests watched in horror. Not the most auspicious start to a marriage!
  • Options
    Birds?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards