Honeymoon Discussions

Tours in Italy

My fiance and I are going to Florence and Rome for our honeymoon the end of October.  We already booked the flight and are booking hotels soon.  We are arriving in Florence on Monday 10/22 early in the afternoon and are taking a train to Rome on Thursday 10/25.  Our flight leaves Rome the morning of Tuesday 10/30.

We are looking into doing some small (day or less) tours in each of these cities.  I was looking online and there are a lot of companies that offer these types of tours that I have never heard of.  Not that they necessarily would be bad or cheat us or anything like that, but I have some concerns about using a company I don't know.  Maybe I'm just being paranoid.  Does anyone have any experience with tours like this in Florence and / or Rome?  What company did you use?  What tours did you like?  I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the different options!
Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Tours in Italy

• do you mean tours IN rome and florence? i used walksofitaly for a tour of the vatican last time i was there in january and it was excellent. i referred a friend to them who did the vatican and colisseum/forum/palatine hill in rome and a walk around florence and a day trip outside of the city to siena. they were extremely satisfied with the service.

do you need hotel recs or recs for anything else? october is an AWESOME time to visit!!!

• We are mostly interested in tours in the cities.  My fiance keeps talking about how he is excited about the wine, so I thought maybe a wine tour somewhere in Tuscany would be nice.  But when I was looking at them, most of them were for most of a day, but we'd probably  want something that was less time so we'd have more time for other things in Florence too.

I will look into walks of italy - thanks!
  • I've also heard really good things about DarkRome tours.  They do tours in Rome, Florence, Venice, and a few others.

We're going to Rome and Florence too (along with Capri and Venice), and we might do a few tours too.

For some of the tours, it's actually cheaper to book with Darkrome than to just do the activities themselves.  For example, it's cheaper to do the vatican tour than to pay for the vatican museum itself and with the tour, you don't have to wait in line.

SaveSave
  • I've used Viator and had no problems with them.
  • I also used Viator for our tours in Rome.  The guides did an excellent job.  As for wine tours, most take the entire day.  An option is to contact a vineyard in chianti, check to see if they have any lunch tours and then check the bus schedules.  While we drove to the Verazzano vineyards a couple of people took public transportation.
  • I'd read the reviews on Tripadvisor.  We are also going to Florence then Rome for our honeymonn Sept 21- Oct 1. We ahve booked a Florence for Foodies tour.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 129image 102image 24image
  • Thanks everyone.  We have decided to stay an extra day in Florence because after talking about it we both really would like to do a wine tour somewhere in Tuscany.  So, a day long wine tour is a possibility.

I will look into all of your suggestions.  Trip Advisor is a great idea - I don't know why I didn't think of that!
  • Here's a Tuscan wine tour that looked good to me.  www.tuscanwinesociety.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 129image 102image 24image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_tours-in-italy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:79734214-6656-4154-841d-cf96a40d85a0Post:1e6c7874-2d34-4cec-a2ce-7d8b06557a82">Re: Tours in Italy</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone.  We have decided to stay an extra day in Florence because after talking about it we both really would like to do a wine tour somewhere in Tuscany.  So, a day long wine tour is a possibility. I will look into all of your suggestions.  Trip Advisor is a great idea - I don't know why I didn't think of that!
    Posted by julie279[/QUOTE]

if you're going to do a whole day then do it yourself!! yuor hotel will be able to hire a driver for you and can take you anywhere you want to go for as long as or as short as you want and you wont be with others-so do your research! the chianti section of tuscany is close to florence and, imo, has the best wines and towns. i suggest radda in chianti and greve. radda is a super cute town (stayed there for a week) with a few enotecas and shops-and the views are breathtakng, amazing tunnels through the city walls. very very small.  greve is right down the road. between them there are a ton of awesome wineries. bran caia, verrazzano, riseccoli. all excellent. thre's a place called casa monti that also has pork products and olive oils. amazing. i shipped a ton home from there.

• When we went last year we had a private tour guide for the vatican one day and also the coloseum/palatine hills/etc another day.  I'd definitely recommend a tour for the vatican.  It's worth it to skip the line and have someone explain all the history to you rather than reading every sign.  As for wine, every time you eat out, ask for the house wine.  It's always delicious and inexpensive.  
  • If you go to Italy on your honeymoon I personally think the amalfi coast is must! Positano and Capri are breathtaking! Also, I know people who have used Donna Franca tours in Boston and were happy with them. Rome is gorgeous you will surely adore it. Tuscany wine tours sounds so romantic!
  • Thanks everyone for the advice!  I will look into your suggestions!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards