Offbeat Weddings

Boardgames at a wedding?

Hi there! I've been considering having a game themed wedding reception and I was thinking of having board games, like apples to apples, catch phrase, pit, etc, as well as some lawn games.  I've been getting mixed reviews though from others, some say it's a really fun idea especially since not many people will probably not be dancing ( not from my family anyways).  Others say its tacky and no one will probably play since there is a certain wedding "expectation" for how to act at a wedding, but I always think its too stuffy and I want to liven the place up a bit and not have it so formal.  The reception will be very laid back I'm having it at a working ranch where you will probably here the cows mooing in the background, so its kinda going to be like a bbq/picnic atmosphere.  Also If I have games do I need a DJ and music for dancing?  I'm struggling with ideas and I need help, please tell me what you think thanks so much!

Re: Boardgames at a wedding?

• I would say avoid any games that take a long time/require much concentration. (LOVE Apples to Apples!) I think people are usually into milling around with a drink and talking if they don't dance. What about outdoor games since it's at a ranch? We had croquet, bocce, bubbles & hula hoops and people had a good time with all that.
  • I agree with PPs, stick with games that are more fun and casual, and less timely and strategic. I think lawn games would be a blast!
  • I think there was a post on Offbeat Bride where the couple incorporated board games into their wedding reception.  Maybe use the search there to find it... I remember thinking it was pretty cool when I read it.
  • Thanks ladies for your input I appreciate it! Definitely will have lawn games for people to play while we take photos and I was thinking just setting up cards (prob in my wedding colors?) or dominoes at the tables for those that do not want to dance..no obligation to play just there for their entertainment if need be. Hopefully that might work out. Thanks again!
  • I think those would definitely work, they aren't overly mentally intensive games lol
  • Yes to lawn games, playing cards on the tables would be a neat idea too. I know a lot of people I know that would rather play cards at a wedding than dance.
  • At first I was like...no way tacky - I once went to a wedding and the groomsmen were playing battleship at the head table, and didnt mingle with anyone, I couldn't beleive how tacky it came across (it had been brought to keep the children entertained, but the groomsmen took it and the children ran around and danced), but the way you discribe it (just having dominos or soemthing at tables), sounds like it could be fine. Maybe have a couple game tables at the side with a few short games instead of putting it at the guests tables (since with centerpieces and plates and stuff adding anything else might be really crowded and might not get played anyways due to lack of attention/space!)

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• McRogolMcRogol member
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_boardgames-at-a-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:e1ab3b7c-40a0-497f-818e-8f1abc3910a2Post:70e3d0da-4bbf-4603-b9e1-d4a4c3888d17">Re: Boardgames at a wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think there was a post on Offbeat Bride where the couple incorporated board games into their wedding reception.  Maybe use the search there to find it... I remember thinking it was pretty cool when I read it.
    Posted by mizutamababy[/QUOTE]

There definitely was...They had a picture of hungry, hungry, hippo...The couple used "retro" games as their centyer pieces.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_boardgames-at-a-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:e1ab3b7c-40a0-497f-818e-8f1abc3910a2Post:1081f9ca-952f-4ecb-926a-ff653a3a01f9">Re: Boardgames at a wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boardgames at a wedding? : There definitely was...They had a picture of hungry, hungry, hippo...The couple used "retro" games as their centyer pieces.
    Posted by McRogol[/QUOTE]

I ran a search on Offbeat because I got curious to re-read with my memory being fuzzy and all:

<a href="http://offbeatbride.com/2012/04/virginia-games-wedding" rel="nofollow">http://offbeatbride.com/2012/04/virginia-games-wedding</a>

I think this was it!

But there's also another(maybe part of that photostream sorry can't brainfart again...) where some people are playing jenga at their table.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_boardgames-at-a-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:e1ab3b7c-40a0-497f-818e-8f1abc3910a2Post:e3de4a17-e100-4dab-8d7f-e418d27cfbba">Re: Boardgames at a wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boardgames at a wedding? : I ran a search on Offbeat because I got curious to re-read with my memory being fuzzy and all: <a href="http://offbeatbride.com/2012/04/virginia-games-wedding" rel="nofollow">http://offbeatbride.com/2012/04/virginia-games-wedding</a> I think this was it! But there's also another(maybe part of that photostream sorry can't brainfart again...) where some people are playing jenga at their table.
    Posted by mizutamababy[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that link I found several articles that people incorporated board games so I can get some ideas!
  • I actually just went to a wedding that had board games. The couple really enjoys playing them, so they wanted to incorporate them into their big day. I was in the wedding party so I didn't really have time to play, but I know the table where my FI sat played Uno during the cocktail hour. He didn't sit with many people he knew, so I would imagine it would be a good icebreaker. Along with avoiding the long strategic games, you might want to avoid or minimize games where only two people can play. Like PP said with the battleship, it wouldn't encourage socializing as much as with group games.

I'm not sure how into dancing your guests are, but I would personally still have music playing for dancing. But I think dancing is the best part of the reception, so do what you think your guests would enjoy!

Best of luck!
  • DO IT!  As for people giving you mixed reviews, do not worry about that --- people have a hard time accepting things that are out-of-the-ordinary.  Once they arrive at the reception and see what you have planned for them, I would bet they would be impressed.  

Now, as a teacher, I know from experience that if you want a group to get involved in something that they are not so sure about, you need to have a catalyst of enthusiasm.  We know that you and your FH are going to be so excited about watching as your friends and families enjoy your favorite pasttimes --- so to help them feed off your excitement, here is what I suggest:

Find THE friend --- everybody has at least one ---- the one that is always the center of attention.... Make sure it is a friend who is not part of your wedding party because then he/she will be too busy to accomplish what you need.  But right now, start telling your friend about your games idea.  Let your friend get just as excited as you are.... and let him/her share that enthusiasm now in conversations with other friends.  As the excitement builds, there will be a large group of friends who are arriving pumped and ready to play.  Those not-so-sure folk (even the most stubborn at heart) will be able to throw away their inhibitions to join the fun.  You'll find a few who you will be surprised when you see them all in on a game of Apples to Apples or whatnot, and you will smile to yourself that day thinking of how you almost considered not doing this.

GOOD LUCK! Have fun!!!

PS--- We too are doing games at our reception.  We will have a DJ too for the purpose of providing background music and Em-ceeing the event --- we needed a microphone and such for speeches.  The DJ is also our backup plan in the event that it is raining, we can't play lawn games, and go to a dance party --- complete with the chicken dance, YMCA, hokey pokey, shout, and any other off-beat song that many brides put on their "do not play list" --- haha!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Maybe you could also use old boardgames as placemats or something and focus more on the lawn games? I'm just worried that your reception will end up more like the idea of the groomsmen playing Battleship together lost in their own little world...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards