Favors

Skittles...?

Alrightly ladies I have a question. Does anyone know if Skittles go stale or how long they will keep? Im asking because Im thinking of useing skittles as my favor. I found these cute little tins that i can put candy in.
Heres the thing though. Im not getting married until November 19, 2011 and i want to use ONLY red skittles.
I LOVE red skittles. When i buy a bag of skittles, i will pick out all the red skittles put them in a bag and only eat them after ive eaten all the other skittles. Most times i hide the bag so no one can eat my red skittles because my mom and sister used to think it was funny to take my bag of red skittles from me. I know, its weird, but its my thing.
Were inviting 200 people and i know not all 200 will show, but i will make enough favors for 200 so there are extra just in case. 
Thats A LOT of red skittles. So i was thinking that i should start buying a bag of skittles whenever i go to the store and picking out all the red ones and putting them in a seperate bag till my wedding. In November 2011. Will they go stale?
The skittles website is no help, its just a bunch of fan videos and funny sayings and no help at all. Neither is thier facebook page.

So ladies, i am asking yall....Will they keep till then? Do skittles go stale?

I know it would be easier to just use all the skittles, but red skittles are my thing, and now im kinda obsessed with the idea. 
"For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul" -Judy Garland

Re: Skittles...?

• Enchanted616Enchanted616 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Haha, I laughed while reading your post.  Not at you, but because your story was so cute. 

Yea, it is pretty much impossible to order just red skittles, but they do sell the berry mix which is pretty much red, pink, and purple.  I know thats not exactly what your looking for, but its just a suggestion.  I used to work at a candy company that went out of business, and my mom bought cases and cases of candy for her theater room.  That was probably eight months ago, and it was past its expiration then (their shelf life was about 5-6 months, if I remember, but they are very conservative on those), and they are still fine.  I think you'll probably be fine, but thats just me.  Safety wise you'll be fine, its just pretty much pure sugar.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Finished BC and not preventing since June 2010.
    Actively trying for baby #1 since July 2011.
    SA completed 5/29/2012. No sperm found.
    11/12: Dx: Congenital Bilateral Absense of the Vas Deferens.
    Genetic Testing needed as this is a mutation of Cystic Fibrosis.
    IVF #1 with ICSI planned for 2013.
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
  • CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think candy will last, though I've noticed with certain candies, the shell turns white on the outside after a little age.  I wouldn't start doing this until next summer or so, or just buy them and do it all at once.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • edited December 2011
    I'm kind of grossed out by the fact that you will be hand picking all of the red skittles out.
  • edited December 2011
    I think skittles will last if they stay sealed until closer to your wedding. If you just put them in another bag they will probably go stale because they will have been opened for over a year. 

I really do suggest using all of them. I love the red skittles too but I really love all the colors. What are the chances that your guests will like just the reds. If I were a guest I would enjoy the red but be disappointed I missed out on the other colors I liked. My brother hates the red ones and always gives them to me. See what i'm saying? Just because you only like the red ones doesn't mean your guests will.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_skittles?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:83899106-b60f-406b-bc4c-5c3e9f3fbac0Post:b3478d39-33df-496f-8a6b-03c7fbc5c954">Re: Skittles...?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm kind of grossed out by the fact that you will be hand picking all of the red skittles out.
    Posted by frogurt814[/QUOTE]

Good call on that. It probably wouldn't hit me until I saw the favor but I would be thinking...gross I hope they washed their hands before picking out the red ones.
    Anniversary
  • MilleRsBestMilleRsBest member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "ew, there's a booger on my skittle!"

"Ick, I have a hair!"
    someecards.com - What's the difference between peanut butter and jam?
  • edited December 2011

i think you can probably order Red Skittles.  try calling Dylans Candy Bar.

• edited December 2011
    Enchanted- i didnt know about the berry mix. gonna have to check that out.

Reese-Thanks for the suggestion..ima check that out too.

Fogurt, Suz and Mille- i had every intention of washing my hands before. I wash my hands before I touch any food that will be eaten by someone other than myself.

also Suz, I could use all the colors but someone might not like skittles at all. Dosent matter what edible favor i do, i run the chance of someone not likeing it.

"For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul" -Judy Garland
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't think you would pick through skittles with dirty hands.  I'm just kind of picky about my food so I would be grossed out by the idea of someone touching every single one of the skittles in my favor bag.
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Skittles get hard when they get stale.  I am a skittles freak so I usually always have them around my house.  Actually one of my shower gifts was a ton of big bags of skittles and hot tamales (with a check).  If you're looking to unload all the other colors, I'll PM you my address!

I would probably wait until closer to the wedding to do this.  Skittles will stay fine when unopened in the bag.  I would wait until maybe a few months before the wedding.  Get a few good Ziploc freezer bags that you can put them in and keep them sealed well.  As long as the are sealed and the air kept out you will be fine. 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Skittles even get hard in their packaging if you leave them around too long, so I can't imagine they would stay fresh for very long. I love the mini-packs they have around Halloween, but by the time I get to the last few packs, they're hard and gross.
    imageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    yea thats what im thinking ima have to do. just wait til closer to the wedding. maybe just take one weekend and do nothing but sort skittles.
    Thanks for all the input yall!
  • Caraydo84Caraydo84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would suggest getting gloves.. you might wash your hands before you start but what happens if your hands get sweaty?? the dye my come off the skittles on to your hands and/or your sweat would be all over the skittles...
    I'm just saying...
    and i just want to say good luck with sorting through all that!!! ha ha sounds awful tedious to me!!

November '10 SC: Favorite Fictional Coupleimagemy BIO updated 10/20/10 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Personally I am a HUGE fan of skittles. Especially on long road trips, just give me an oversized bag of skittles and i'm a happy girl. But I have found that they can get hard after a while. They lose their chewy inside. I would recommend as stated in PP looking around for websites that will let you order one color specifically. I dont think Dylan's Candy store does this with Skittles but they def do with M&M's. Maybe you can switch to red M&M's instead? On their website you can even have messages or pics printed on the M&M...Just a thought.

Now I need a bag of skittles!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards