Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Facial before Engagement pictures???

Okay, I've only had one facial in my life and that was quite a few years ago.  My fiance and I have our engagement pictures this coming Monday and I was thinking about getting a facial to re-energize my skin.  Currently I have one scheduled for Friday--3 days before pictures.  I've heard lots of different things as to some people break out, some don't, the extractions are what causes the most reddness/blotchiness, etc.  My skin is more combination--oily right now from the warm humid temps and prone to acne.  Do you think it's okay to get a facial only a few days before pictures or should I hold off?  What have been your experiences with facials??  Thanks for the help ladies!!

Re: Facial before Engagement pictures???

• edited July 2010
    Do you have sensitive skin? My skin is just like yours, combination and oily during hot weather, definitely prone to breakouts. I have sensitive skin too on top of that -- so facials if not carefully chosen can cause me to break out. IF you do get the facial I would just tell the lady not to do the extractions and leave that part out. You will be red most likely, although it doesn't last forever but still.... just be careful. If you have chemical sensitivity I might consider rescheduling the facial for another time. :) have fun with your engagement photos I LOVED doing that!

http://www.kennypangblog.com/wwwkennypangblogcom/2010/6/14/joy-matt-engagement.html
  • edited July 2010
    First off, let me start by saying that I'm a licensed esthetician in Massachusetts. That said, there is no such thing as "combination" skin. You can have dry skin in certain areas and oily or normal skin in certain areas on your face, but you cannot have both in one place. It either is or it isn't normal/dry/oily. Some people may need two moisturizers because their skin varies greatly throughout. Most people with normal skin tend to have oil in the tzone and are fairly dry out toward the cheek area (i.e. the "normal" part). Oilier skins are oily throughout and dry are dry throughout. It is important not to confuse "dry" with "dehydrated." Dry skins lack oil, dehydrated skins are lacking water. It is possible to be oily and dehydrated. All of this fluctuates with season, your skin type never, ever, ever, ever changes, but skin conditions (acne prone, dehydration, sensitivity) do. As far as your facial, 3 days before is a perfect time to re-energize your skin with a clinical treatment. Talk with your skin-care professional about your concerns. Finishing masks generally calm redness associated with extraction, but extraction generally isn't necessary for every facial. If it's a concern with a client who's preparing for a function, I generally just do the nose if it's particularly clogged. Stick with a soothing facial for sensitive skin and you'll be golden.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit NewHampshire.Weddings.com
  • Well I was told combination means dry/normal on cheeks and oily in the t-zone. Isn't that what most people mean?
  • edited July 2010
    To answer your question JoyMatt: Oily in the tzone and drier toward the cheek IS normal skin. It is normal for people to produce oil in this area, it is where the most is produced, even on a skin that is otherwise considered "dry." Oil production in the tzone and drier in the cheek area is "normal." The oil is produced in the area and flows to other areas of the face. In a normal skin, you glisten more in the tzone. With oily skin, you produce a LOT more in the tzone and it causes excess oil all over. Dry skins tend not to produce enough oil. There is no such thing as "combination" skin. You can't be oily and dry in the same spot ... they're contraindications. You can be oilier in areas, but it's all about balance. Be careful not to confuse "dry" with dehydrated. If you're talking tight, itchy, dry to the touch, it's dehydration and that's a skin condition, not skin type. It IS possible to be oily and dehydrated, which 99% of my clients call "dry" and say they're skin is combination. It's lacking water, not oil.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit NewHampshire.Weddings.com
  • Sweet, I have "normal" skin.. thanks! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards