Canada-Ontario

Master of Ceremonies?

My wedding is in 3 weeks, and we just had our MC drop out on us!
I've asked all my family and friends and no one is comfortable doing it for us.
Our DJ is a friend, and would rather not be the MC... I don't know what to do!
Is there a way around using an MC? Or MC for hire? lol
Help!

Re: Master of Ceremonies?

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm. I know that paid DJs will usually agree to MC if you ask, but I guess you can't force your friend to do it.

Can you write out the exact script for an MC and see if that helps some people feel more comfortable about doing it? They don't necessarily have to make speeches or jokes; if you boil it down to just telling them when to announce what's happening, maybe it won't be so daunting for them.

Otherwise, I think you could get away with no MC, but you should simplify the schedule as much as possible, and tell anyone making speeches or toasts EXACTLY when it's their turn to speak. For example, just have all speeches after dinner and tell the speakers "Just go up to the mic, you're up first/second/third / after [previous speaker]." Things should be simple so that things can run themselves without the MC to direct things.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    hmm, i'm sorry, that's too bad. Is there anyone that works at your venue that could do minimal MC duties? They could make announcements about hosekeeping rules (no smoking etc) and do introductions, and announce the cake cutting.
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I read in an article that is is not uncommon to make the best man the MC? maybe you can do a tag team with the best man and maid of honor?

Another idea is instead of having one MC, maybe if you had two people may feel more comfortable rather than feeling like they are in the spotlight.

All the best!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards