Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Ways to add hints about atmosphere/attire on your invitation??

I'm having my wedding at the group camp area of a state park. It has tons of outdoor space, little rustic cabins, rec hall, fire pit, dining hall, etc. I'm planning to get a simple tea length dress and my FI isn't rocking a tux or anything. We are probably doing a pig roast or bbq/grilled style meal. My close friends 'get' the idea but I'm afraid some of our family members only know how to associate 'wedding' with formal/traditional attire. How can I drop the hint on my invitations about the atmosphere/attire? If I say casual, will they think jeans? Help! 

Re: Ways to add hints about atmosphere/attire on your invitation??

• The style of your invitations and the way you have your wording should dictate how formal or how casual your wedding is. Technically it is "poor ettiquette" to tell your guests how to dress. Unless it's black tie, you shouldn't put any specific wording for dress code on the actual invitation - I would put it on your website if you're having one. Some are going to wear whatever they want no matter what you say. Lol 

• offbeat9offbeat9 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for the advice. I'm honestly not too concerned with etiquette -  We've pretty much tossed it aside for most other decisions we've made haha. (Not in an offensive way, just doing what we prefer to do instead of what I guess is expected of us)

I'm not doing a website or traditional invites either. I'm designing a very simple flat, one-sided invite and small "info" card that will be stuffed in an envelope and mailed. I and was planning to allude to atmosphere there on the info card, where there'll be specific directions for parking, any other necessary details. I just didn't want people to be uncomfortable all night and heels would actually be kind of dangerous in the outdoor terrain/fire pit area. I was thinking maybe something like "Barbecue, Games, Dancing & Bonfire to follow" would be a good "hint." 
  • Is it inside or outside? I think ppl would figure the state park location is more of a sundress place than wearing a dressydress or something. :)
  • It's a combo of both.. ceremony outside, dinner inside, bonfire/outdoor games (crochet, cornhole etc). The only thing that may change is if it's an incredibly gorgeous day, we could move it entirely outside but I doubt that happens. 
  • IMO I would be direct and tell your guests to "dress comfortably for the conditions"

• I'm going to a wedding next month and their reception is outside. Their invitiations have the vintage/rustic theme and they tied all the pieces with twine and then attached a little tag that said something like "The reception will be in the grass, so be sure to wear the kind of shoes that you won't fall on your..."

Although I wouldn't write something like that on my invites, I thought it was a funny reminder for people and a saying like that would only really go with a casual wedding like theirs. Not sure if you'd like that but just wanted to share it as an option!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OMG, that's hilarious. I might actually use that. Our wedding has a humorous/fun vibe and that sounds like something I'd say. Thanks!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards