Virginia

Outdoor Wedding - Hampton Roads, VA

I have always dreamed of having my wedding outside, not on the beach but on grass with flowers and trees nearby.  My wedding will be in June in Hampton Roads (we live in Virginia Beach) and my fiance and I are looking at Botanical Gardens in Norfolk this weekend. I'm a little worried that their prices might be too high for us but I am having a hard time finding another outdoor venue for the ceremony.  Does anyone have any suggestions of any good outdoor locations in the Hampton Roads area for a wedding of at least 300 people?
~elizabeth hope

Re: Outdoor Wedding - Hampton Roads, VA

• edited December 2011
    I am getting married at Fort Monroe Gazebo in May and it is only 80 dollars and hour including set up and break down plus chair rental. Though Im really not sure what will happen to the base in June because it is going inactive. If your interested give them a call.

http://www.monroemwr.com/gazeborental.htm

the picture on there doesn't do it justice!
    (once i get home from work ill post a photo)

Dreama =)
    May 21st,2011
    "to make you feel my love"
    dreamaandavid.weebly.com/

Photo taken by Bit of Ivory Photography
  • edited December 2011
    Check out the Hermitage Museum in Norfolk.  It's a waterfront/non-beachy/wooded property but may be hard for a large wedding. 
    The Pagoda Oriental Gardens in downtown Norfolk might also be an option.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah I agree about the Botanical Gardens. We crossed them off of our list pretty quickly when I saw the price tag.
    Another option, although probably not any cheaper, is Founder's Inn at Regent University. They have a really nice patio in front of a lake. Not sure how many it seats though.
    A golf club might also be a good choice, like Kiln Creek Golf Club in Newport News or Cahoon Plantations in Chesapeake or Cypress Point Golf Club.
    The VA Zoo also does large tented weddings, although your group would be too big for the little gardens that they have.
    You could also try:
    Signature Country Club at West Neck - Va Beach
    Francis Land House - Va Beach

• edited December 2011
    thanks everyone so much for all your help!  i have looked into some of the options you suggested, if you think of anything else please let me know!  : )
    ~elizabeth hope
  • edited December 2011
    I live in Virginia Beach too and am getting married at the Botanical Gardens.  We also wanted outside, and not on the beach.  The issue is that we already had our hearts set on a reception location in Virginia Beach, that just didn't have an area for a ceremony.  We looked what seemed like everywhere and couldn't find anywhere that we liked that would allow us to do the ceremony only.  We checked out the Cavalier Yacht Club, the Virginia Aquarium (really cute spot) and the Cavalier on the Hill but none of them would let us do it without the reception as well, and the Signature was already booked for a wedding (not sure if they'd let us do it without a reception, we just heard they were booked and didn't even ask).  The Hermitage was way out of our price range and also only did ceremony combined with reception.

it is a bit pricy but for the Renaissance Court, a tram, chairs, the rain location (Rotunda) and the membership to the gardens it was $1750.  You could cut $200 off that if you did a different garden location.  For what you get I'd never do a ceremony and reception there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards