Registry and Gift Forum

questions - guests are sending gifts to our house

I am having a bridal shower at the end of September. The same people who are coming to the shower are choosing to send me gifts to our house. How should I approach this at the shower, since they will be attending but won't be bringing a gift with them? Should I thank them individually in front of everyone after opening gifts? So confused.

Thanks for your help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: questions - guests are sending gifts to our house

• Are you sure they are shower gifts and not early wedding gifts?  If you know they are shower gifts, would it be inconvenient for you to bring them with you to the shower?  If it's inconvenient, don't bother.  You should write TY notes for gifts as you receive them for both wedding gifts and shower gifts.
  • These are most likely wedding gifts.  People know to bring gifts to the shower - that is the point of it.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • I'm not sure. I just assumed its a shower gift, but I might be wrong.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • One of my FI's aunts sent her shower gift to our house because she didn't want us to deal with transporting it (despite that being the whole point of a shower).  I thought it was odd, but I got FI's mom to contact her and check if it's a shower gift that accidentally got sent to the house or a wedding gift.  Can you contact the people sending the gifts and ask them?  
  • This happened to me too.  I contacted the person and let them know I rec'd the gift and let them know that I was just checking that they intended to ship it to us.  They did - they just thought it was easier than all the extra transporting of gifts.  My shower is on Sunday so I plan on thanking her in front of everyone.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_questions-guests-are-sending-gifts-to-our-house?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:24c16dce-394d-4b2d-a4d8-445c2065d0f1Post:7c530027-56cc-4e7b-a46a-ae8aaf1934cf">questions - guests are sending gifts to our house</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am having a bridal shower at the end of September. The same people who are coming to the shower are choosing to send me gifts to our house. How should I approach this at the shower, since they will be attending but won't be bringing a gift with them? Should I thank them individually in front of everyone after opening gifts? So confused. Thanks for your help!
    Posted by mandm111[/QUOTE]

Are you sure they're coming to the shower?  Perhaps they can't attend and want to make sure you get a gift.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_questions-guests-are-sending-gifts-to-our-house?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:24c16dce-394d-4b2d-a4d8-445c2065d0f1Post:11b0ddcf-138d-4d04-8ecc-39f4b960a443">Re: questions - guests are sending gifts to our house</a>:
    [QUOTE]One of my FI's aunts sent her shower gift to our house because she didn't want us to deal with transporting it (despite that being the whole point of a shower).  I thought it was odd, but I got FI's mom to contact her and check if it's a shower gift that accidentally got sent to the house or a wedding gift.  Can you contact the people sending the gifts and ask them?  
    Posted by ericaandtom2012[/QUOTE]

I am having a shower back home this weekend and have started receiving presents.  I thought it was odd too, and I've packed a giant suitcase so I could bring home gifts, but some people preferred to just send them ahead of time.  I already sent thank yous and plan to thank those at the shower too.  I did clarify with a few people that it was a shower gift though.

• Do you have your address listed on your registry?  I recently ordered a shower gift from Crate and Barrel for a friend.  I wanted it shipped to me because I was going to her shower, but the Crate and Barrel website initially prompted me to ship to my friend's address.  I almost missed it and it would've been shipped right to her.  

Same deal with Target.  Once I bought a shower gift from a friend's registry on there and it wouldn't allow me to ship it to me.  It automatically shipped to them.
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've had the same thing happen. Also I've had gifts sent from people who can't make it to the shower but are coming to the wedding, so I don't know if I should thank them for the shower gift or wedding gift. I don't want to presume they are getting me two gifts. I've just been omitting what its for and saying thank you for the lovely x, looking forward to seeing you at y. Just send out the thank you ASAP. I don't intend to bring this stuff to the shower bc it js already unwrapped. For those who have sent shower gifts ahead of time I am just going to say thank you again in person. I think it would be weird to announce to everyone that aunt bertha bought me sheets, I already received them, but thanks.
  • Did they include cards with their gifts? For all my shower gifts, the cards said something about a bridal shower on them. Wedding cards did not. I would take a clue from the cards, if they have them, as to what occasion the gifts were supposed to be for.

I would find it odd to ship a shower gift way in advance and then show up empty-handed. I think they either can't make the shower, so they sent you a gift, or they are sending early wedding presents.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards