Ohio-Cincinnati

DJ Opinions? (DJ Brian Harris, Catered Sound, Party Pleasers, Old School Entertainment)

Hi Knotties!

I think I have my DJs narrowed down to choose between Brian Harris, Catered Sounds, Party Pleasers, or Old School entertainment. Have any of you works with these DJs?

Also, do any of you have tips for how to choose a DJ? I'm trying to find one under $1k, and it's proving to be pretty difficult!

As always, your advice is so appreciated!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: DJ Opinions? (DJ Brian Harris, Catered Sound, Party Pleasers, Old School Entertainment)

• Brian Childs- I highly rec him. I've been to several weddings he's done and all are great. He is $595 for 4 hours and $50 each addtl hour. pchilds1@cinci.rr.com
    Jenn & Jason
    September 27, 2008
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_dj-opinions-dj-brian-harris-catered-sound-party-pleasers-old-school-entertainment?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:e0fa637d-97e8-4f65-9551-6b1093d7287aPost:6ca7288b-7157-4538-bf02-23f77534523e">Re: DJ Opinions? (DJ Brian Harris, Catered Sound, Party Pleasers, Old School Entertainment)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Brian Childs- I highly rec him. I've been to several weddings he's done and all are great. He is $595 for 4 hours and $50 each addtl hour. pchilds1@cinci.rr.com
    Posted by jenn1981[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I really wanted Brian Childs, but unfortunately, he was already booked for our date. :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited July 2012
    I'm almost certain that Brian Harris is going to be over $1000. We're using Dan Edwards for 5 hours for under a grand. I've heard that he charges for a consultation whether you use him or not. I think that's pretty crappy. We decided to just book him off of others' recommendations, so I'm not sure if this is still true.

ETA: The consulation fee doubles as a deposit if you do use him.
  • I will always recommend Party Pleasers...

They have various levels of packages and definitely some under a grand! Check out their FB page, the endless pictures of thank you notes speak for themselves. I've worked with them for work functions and been to weddings where they have been a vendor and they have been great in both roles. They also have the cheapest uplighting I have seen out of any vendor!! You can do lots of add ons to your package or make it as small as you want.

Good luck - let us know who you go with!

• Not familiar with any of those - but we used Jeff Cowens of CincySpinnerDJS and he was amazing. Online song selection - really felt like he "knew" us - and knew what to play. Also does a really awesome crowd-pleasing "newlywed" game.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We used Joe Griffin THRU Steve Bender- I believe we paid $595. And he was good. Really.
    Anniversary
  • We are going to use Joe Griffin but we paid a lot more than 595! Nice deal lindsay
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_dj-opinions-dj-brian-harris-catered-sound-party-pleasers-old-school-entertainment?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:e0fa637d-97e8-4f65-9551-6b1093d7287aPost:3f7b7ce3-e984-4c1c-acbc-c0768f895fd7">Re: DJ Opinions? (DJ Brian Harris, Catered Sound, Party Pleasers, Old School Entertainment)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I will always recommend Party Pleasers... They have various levels of packages and definitely some under a grand! Check out their FB page, the endless pictures of thank you notes speak for themselves. I've worked with them for work functions and been to weddings where they have been a vendor and they have been great in both roles. They also have the cheapest uplighting I have seen out of any vendor!! You can do lots of add ons to your package or make it as small as you want. Good luck - let us know who you go with!
    Posted by justengaged777[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with this, we also went with Party Pleasers and couldn't be happier.</div><div>
    </div><div>Our DJ was Jeff Clarke, who is considered a "master DJ" and costs extra.  Our reception was also ethnic and he was on top of all the Asian traditions we talked about beforehand.</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • On a side note - Clearheavens - I followed your earlier rec for alterations and went to Kim Dao...so impressed! Thank you!
  • We are using Keith through DJ Toad. He is 900 for unlimited amount of time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • We met with Brian Harris because he was the DJ for two friends' weddings.  He is well over $1000 and offers a lot of "extras" we didn't want (mic time items, not lighting or decor things).  He was pretty inflexible and I didn't apprieciate how "sale-sy" and pushy he was.  I think he puts a lot of time into his business, but I thought he was over priced and didn't feel comfortable doing business with him. 

We have booked with Party Pleasers (also a recommendation from a friend).  Our wedding isn't until September so I can't say how they were day of, but to date I've been just satisfied with them (probably about a B rating).  I've had a number of confusing and misleading conversations with them and they've tried to back out of agreements that we talked about earlier.  Tim (the owner) has always stepped and corrected the situation and honored everything, but dealing with his office staff prior to that has been frustrating.  Like I said, Tim has come through and honored everything, so I don't have fears or horrible marks against them.  There have just been some hick-ups.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_dj-opinions-dj-brian-harris-catered-sound-party-pleasers-old-school-entertainment?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:e0fa637d-97e8-4f65-9551-6b1093d7287aPost:274c994b-f0b8-4b5a-9e93-e169e370cce3">Re: DJ Opinions? (DJ Brian Harris, Catered Sound, Party Pleasers, Old School Entertainment)</a>:
    [QUOTE]On a side note - Clearheavens - I followed your earlier rec for alterations and went to Kim Dao...so impressed! Thank you!
    Posted by justengaged777[/QUOTE]

<div>That is awesome!  I also felt the same way about her.  There's nothing better on this board than people loving and enjoying a rec I made.</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We are using Catered Sounds. We are paying $475 for six hours and they are doing our ceremony too. So they are bringing two soudns systems and lighting and they have an awesome online music planning tool that you are able to edit up to two days before your wedding. I really liked them, because they have been doing it for a while and it is not their full time job and just do it for fun. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited July 2012
    Wow thanks for all the feedback!

I went ahead and asked BH what his pricing was (we'd been going back and forth and he was doing that whole "want to meet with you before telling you pricing thing") and was up front with my budget, so looks like that's off! Thanks for the tip though on his pricing though, guys!!! So appreciate it! I'm glad I went ahead and talked to him about that before wasting both his and my time!

I'll let you know what else happens!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are going to sign with Party Pleasers. We have heard nothing but good things about the company. What really stood out for us was the lighting that they do. I don't want to have to worry about decorating this big, plain, ugly wall at our venue, and using lighting seems to be a good solution. Lighting does get pretty pricey, but the basic DJ package is $995. (More experienced DJs there cost a few hundred more.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well, I've set up meetings with the three remaining for next weekend and the weekend after, so we'll see! Catered Sound is estimated at $575, OSE at $799, and PP at $995 (though I don't think that includes the mini set-up we'll need). So, we'll see!

Just wanted to keep ya'll updated!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2012
     Hello all,

My name is Phil, and I am the owner of Old School Entertainment LLC. Let me start by congratulating all of you on impending nuptuals. No matter what company you choose, it is important that you get what you want, at a reasonable price point, and that you are treated like a person with a VERY important event in which your vendor is honored to be a part. The concept of "Master DJ" is more of a sales tool than a fact, though oft times one may pay more for a more experienced DJ, a more talented DJ, and/or a DJ with a radio background. Price points often reflect the company's marketing budget more than their performance. Formals are more expensive than casuals due to the additional consultation, and planning assistance you should receive from your vendor. There are very good DJ's at every price point. What mostly separates DJ's and DJ services is PROFESSIONALISM. Each of the companies listed in this discussion are (overall) very capable, so the purpose of my post here is not to disparage any other DJ, or DJ company, nor to "plug" mine. It is rather to educate the customers on what you should look for.

1. Price points. Honestly, it's worth whatever you would sue for in the event the service provider made a mess of your special day. That said, your future need not be mortgaged on your special day either. Know your budget, know what your NEEDS are for the service, and know the fair market value of the service being provided. Will the provider customize for you, or is it "this is the package" with no flexibility. Often, the price point tells you how many "bridal shows" they do each year, or on how many sites they advertise. Many are tremendously expensive, and YOU pay for it in the rate.

2. Testimonials/References. A legitimate professional will have verifiable testimonials to offer, and even references you can contact. Use that as a guide for insuring you have a PROFESSIONAL service.

3. Chemistry. Do you have a chemistry with the DJ? Can you meet him/her BEFORE you commit? Its important that you like each other. No one wants to spend their special day with someone they can't stand, is overbearing, or thinks its a day for them to "shine". Match the DJ to your personality, and not just your budget.

4. Customer Service. How quickly do they respond to you? How do they work with other vendors. Do they have a desire to become a "part" of making your event special, or simply sell a service for the event?

5. Larger versus Smaller Companies. Big companies tend to have an assortment of DJ's and a lot of flash. This is not to say that they don't deliver. As with any product or service, the larger the provider, the less personal the service tends to be. Smaller companies come in two categories. "Boutique" type providers who provide great service, cater to higher end clientele in general, and have no desire to mass produce their product, and those who want ultimately, to enter the mass production arena. All have their place, and as with all products and services, there are good ones and bad ones.

These are starting points for you during your search.

Visit our website anytime http://www.osellcdj.com Good luck to each of you in your search for various vendors, and may you have a WONDERFUL event!
  • Just fired Catered Sounds this morning! This was the 2nd meeting I set up to meet with Tom, and the 2nd time he was a no show! Called him both times while I was waiting for him and he non-chalantly told me that he couldn't make it. No call to let me know or anything! Surely wouldn't trust that he'll show up on my wedding day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards