Christian Weddings

QOTW - Week of 5/1/2011 - Videography

Are you having a videographer for your wedding, having someone videotape it as an amateur or not having video at all?  What did you consider when making this decision?

Re: QOTW - Week of 5/1/2011 - Videography

• iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't want to pay a professional to do the video so I was thinking of asking a friend to tape it for us with no editing.  DH has done wedding videos himself (his degree is in video production and he has the equipment to do it professionally) and did not want to have an amateur video so he didn't want anything at all if it wasn't professional.  

My mom and I talked about it and she said that she wishes that video cameras had been around when she got married because she would love to have a video of her wedding.  So I really wanted to have it taped.

About a month before the wedding, one of my friends asked me if it would be okay for her to video the wedding.  I got DH's permission to let her do it for us and he consented to it (although he refuses to watch it).

Since I missed a lot of the wedding myself (everything that happens before the bride enters the church), I am so glad we have it.  It was really fun to watch and I'm sure I'll want to watch it in the future.  I don't even care that it is not professional.
  • edited December 2011
    We got a videographer. It was something we went back and forth on. FI wanted his uncle to videotape it but I wanted his uncle to just be able to enjoy it and not have to worry about recording anything. We ended up hiring a professional through our photographer because they had just started doing videography so they are recording all the ceremony and reception for a fairly good price.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We can't decide what to do.. My mom wants us to get one but we aren't sure if we would really watch it. Also, we would rather have the $1k (or more) to spend on other things. We have time to make the decision but it is a toss up so far!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    We got one and it was an easy decision because I always knew I wanted video. I love videos in general and I am all about preserving memories. I still watch my high school choir concerts and musicals haha. I know, weird, but I love it! I will probably watch our wedding video at least once a year if not more haha. 
  • edited December 2011
    Fi's family is taking care of that. They did a nice job on his sister's videography so I trust they will do a nice job on ours. We are on a very limited budget and that was one area that I didn't want to splurge on unless we had the money which we don't. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    FI and I don't have the money in the budget.  Unless we trip over a stack of hundreds between now and the wedding, we won't be having any, lol.  Though I'm not opposed to the idea of some of the guests doing amateur video and sending that to us if they don't mind.  I might ask a few guests if they'd be interested.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did.  My dad had a client who was a videographer so she gave us a 50% discount!  I am so glad we have it.  The only thing I would have done differently is asked for all the raw footage.  She did a great job editing, but there are some things that I would love to see that didn't make the cut.

We watched it probably 20 times (or more) in our first year of marriage.  That number went down in the 2nd year and by the third year we were only watching it a handful of times.  Nowe we watch it once a year - on our anniversary.
  • mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're still thinking about it. We have friends that could do it...we would just need to ask.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • edited December 2011
    We're not going to... we're both picture people, so I spent the money on a photographer instead. Never really felt strongly about videos one way or the other. One of the GMs has a nice video camera, so there is a possibility someone will offer to videotape for us, in which case I would of course accept.
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    2 guys FI went to church/high school with now own a videography company.  Their entire family is coming to the wedding, and the guys are doing videography as their gift.  They did FSIL's as their first wedding and the video was awesome then.  I can't wait to see what they can do 5 years later.  :)
  • edited December 2011
    i really really want someone to do it! 
    its not in our budget (AT ALL!) for a videographer but i really want a video, even if an amatuer does it. (:
    We just watched FMIL's wedding video and it was priceless - she cried (they have been married for 11 yrs!). Their best friend filmed it (who is our officiant hehe). 

I think we will just have a friend film. i know i will miss a lot before i walk in..and i wanna see it all. (:
  • edited December 2011
    I never thought about the stuff I would be missing... so now I think I am going to have some one do it... I don't want to miss anything!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards