Snarky Brides

Vacation before wedding?

Hi all,
Just want some outside opinions. My FI and I would like to go on a getaway a few months before our wedding. We have the means, but we just don't want to seem presumptuous taking a vacation and a honeymoon in the same year. What do you all think?

~Kristin
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Vacation before wedding?

• edited August 2012
    I'm sorry, I'm not understanding the "we just don't want to seem presumptuous" part.  Presumptuous to whom?  Yourselves?  Your friends?  Aunt Martha and her stink eye?  Are you planning to announce it to everyone?

If money and time off were no object, I'd be taking a vacation once a month.  I don't see the issue here.
  • LeiselEBLeiselEB member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    I don't think it would be presumptuous. If you want to, go for it. A lot of people take more than one vacation a year. 
  • I love vacation.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • We took a big vacation i August before our December wedding.  Who cares?  It's your money.  unless you're begging people to put money in a hineymoon registry, I don't see why there wold be any problem with it.
  • If I could afford it?  Sure, I'd go.
  • We took a vacation to Napa in May and are getting married in September.... I personally didn't see a problem with it.  We could afford it and our finances aren't really anyone's business but ours.  I don't think you should flaunt what you have, but you should never feel ashamed of what you've worked for, either.

And if you are a trust-fund baby,  you should never be ashamed of what your parents or grandparents worked for either :P 

Seriously, the only problem I ran into, is that in getting excited for vacation and enjoying our time out there, I neglected some wedding things (like choosing invites) that kind of put planning a little behind schedule.  But even that worked out just fine.  I'd just suggest being more aware of your planning timeline/deadlines, if you have any. 
  • Who is this supposed to be presumptuous to?  I don't get it.  If you can afford to go on vacation a few months before the wedding, do it.  No one's business but your own.
  • Sometimes we get snarky comments from our parents. His never go on vacation and mine never made the kind of money that I'm making at my age. We both work hard, me being a nurse, and him being a teacher, so we like to play hard when we have time off. Both our parents have generously offered to help pay for some of the wedding, but we're mostly doing it ourselves, honeymoon included. In the end, we do what we want regardless of what anyone says. :
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We went to San Francisco from Dallas for 5 days two weeks before our wedding. It was for one of H's best friend's weddings. It sounds like the worst idea ever, but ended up being GREAT because we made sure all of our little wedding things were taken care of before the trip and we coasted the last 2 weeks. The week before San Francisco SUCKED but the week before the wedding was SO relaxing.
  • Do you know what presumptuous means?

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • I don't see what the issue is. If you can travel, travel. I went to Europe in May and just got back from a week in ArgentinaI did get some "didn't you just get back from vacation?" questions but it was more from a "wow that's great" perspective than "you traveling biiitch" perspective.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_vacation-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fe49da13-63bc-4964-ade0-1c2d4f3bf2a5Post:b45bd79b-6393-4c14-8cae-8c6688a52d14">Re: Vacation before wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We went to San Francisco from Dallas for 5 days two weeks before our wedding. It was for one of H's best friend's weddings. It sounds like the worst idea ever, but ended up being GREAT because we made sure all of our little wedding things were taken care of before the trip and we coasted the last 2 weeks. The week before San Francisco SUCKED but the week before the wedding was SO relaxing.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

<div>We're thinking it would be nice to unplug from all the planning and craziness. However, our trip won't be two weeks before our wedding. I give you lots of credit, I'd be having a meltdown lol! Thanks for sharing our experience :)</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_vacation-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fe49da13-63bc-4964-ade0-1c2d4f3bf2a5Post:28fc3751-1825-4c6b-bb28-22806a755535">Re: Vacation before wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We took a vacation to Napa in May and are getting married in September.... I personally didn't see a problem with it.  We could afford it and our finances aren't really anyone's business but ours.  I don't think you should flaunt what you have, but you should never feel ashamed of what you've worked for, either. And if you are a trust-fund baby,  you should never be ashamed of what your parents or grandparents worked for either :P  Seriously, the only problem I ran into, is that in getting excited for vacation and enjoying our time out there, I neglected some wedding things (like choosing invites) that kind of put planning a little behind schedule.  But even that worked out just fine.  I'd just suggest being more aware of your planning timeline/deadlines, if you have any. 
    Posted by cbvcru67[/QUOTE]

<div>Well said!! LOL'd at trust fund baby......oh to be one. We really are blessed with having good solid jobs, we definately dont take any of it for granted. </div><div>
    </div><div>I feel like I've gotten a jump on the planning. Engaged this past April, so far have booked ceremony/reception site, officiant, photographer/videographer, and found my dress! </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 1) Take a vacation. You need a break from wedding planning.

2) I think it's awesome you're a NICU nurse. I thought about going into nursing when I was in college, and that was one area that really appealed to me.
  •  We are taking a cruise in November 6 months before our big day.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_vacation-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fe49da13-63bc-4964-ade0-1c2d4f3bf2a5Post:e53d4ec1-4c26-4d93-ba33-0d6c129dea54">Re: Vacation before wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vacation before wedding? : We're thinking it would be nice to unplug from all the planning and craziness. However, our trip won't be two weeks before our wedding. I give you lots of credit, I'd be having a meltdown lol! Thanks for sharing our experience :)
    Posted by nicubride15[/QUOTE]

I never would have planned it, but this was a wedding we just couldn't miss. It was truly the best thing ever, though. It was major motivation to finish up all the wedding planning so I could enjoy my first trip to SF. I didn't want to spend the money to make a trip I wasn't going to enjoy.
  • I would love to be able to take a vacation before the wedding!  I don't know if we'll be able to pull it off though!

I say do it if you can and enjoy!
  • My FI and I make a point to take at least one trip a year. We're going to Montreal this weekend, for example. Why would being engaged get in the way of our annual vacation? What would be presumptuous?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Vacation tickers fibromyalgia Pictures, Images and Photos Visit The Nest! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Nest!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_vacation-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fe49da13-63bc-4964-ade0-1c2d4f3bf2a5Post:5eac1849-49a3-43f4-b348-84931af974a6">Re: Vacation before wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]1) Take a vacation. You need a break from wedding planning. 2) I think it's awesome you're a NICU nurse. I thought about going into nursing when I was in college, and that was one area that really appealed to me.
    Posted by wrigleyville[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Being a NICU nurse has it's ups and downs, but one of my all time favorite things about it is getting pics of happy, healthy, adorable children. Makes all those LOOOONNNGGG night shifts (which are paying for a big chunk of this wedding) worth it :) I can't imagine doing anything else.

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think all NICU nurses and teachers deserve as many vacations as they can afford. :) Haha but honestly DON'T WORRY about what other people might think. You will probably enjoy some together-time before the wedding planning gets crazy. Go for it !!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards