Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Wedding Cake - Giving it to guests in a 'to-go" bag

we will be service dessert at our wedding so we wanted to have our guests take home a piece of wedding cake to eat later/tomorrow/etc.

do you know a good way to package the cake? looking for a good to-go bag that is also "safe" to put food in.

thinking of putting it on/in wax paper and then inside a small handle gift bag. 

any better ideas? any good places to get the bag/wax paper?

i'm DEFINITELY overthinking this one. lol....but thanks for your help!

Re: Wedding Cake - Giving it to guests in a 'to-go" bag

• Options
    I wouldn't just put it in a bag, wax paper or not. There are cute boxes you can get from Oriental Trading and places like that. Not sure what size you are looking at, but cupcake boxes might be a good option. Then if you really wanted a bag put the box in it. As a guest, I wouldn't want to carry a piece of cake home in a bag without a box.

• Options
    Your baker would be able to recommend boxes.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    As a guest who would definitely want to eat that cake later, please don't opt for a bag.  The frosting will stick to it and you will end up with mush.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_wedding-cake-giving-it-to-guests-in-a-to-go-bag?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:8fd84aed-b6b1-4e18-8c45-443b06d3153fPost:e542d0e3-a719-4fe6-b41b-762f4b7222f0">Re: Wedding Cake - Giving it to guests in a 'to-go" bag</a>:
    [QUOTE]As a guest who would definitely want to eat that cake later, please don't opt for a bag.  The frosting will stick to it and you will end up with mush.
    Posted by kmmssg[/QUOTE]
    Yup, exactly. There are plenty of cake boxes available. You may be able to purchase them through the bakery or you can go & get them yourself online. Search for 'cake slice box' and you'll get a lot of sites. 
  • Options
    JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2012
    I agree with PP, definitely opt for a box instead of a bag.

I would also check with your venue to make sure you can do this.  I've thought I've read of people saying their venues wouldn't allow them to have guests take home leftovers.  Are you planning on having a traditional cake and then having the venue box up the slices?  I would imagine they will probably charge you a cake cutting fee for this. 
  • Options
    As a cake decorator, I second the notion that bags are a bad idea.

Small favor boxes would be best, but keep in mind that if you have buttercream icing it is a bit greasy so you want to make sure the box will hold up, the bottom especially.  Alternatively, you could use parchment paper to line the bottom of the box.  Wax paper would work too but I prefer parchment.  I don't recommend tissue paper with anything that has frosting.

Have you thought about cupcakes?  They're generally more travel friendly (you can get individual cupcake containers at various places).  And IMHO a cupcake to go usually has a nicer presentation than a slice of cake to go, unless the person is really really good at cleanly slicing and serving (I for one, am not).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards