Snarky Brides

Anyone else noticed......

2»

Re: Anyone else noticed......

• In Response to Re:Anyone else noticed......:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Anyone else noticed......: Ugh, Wikipedia is the devil, at least in academia. Whenever I teach a course with a research paper, I have to specify that Wikipedia is not an acceptable source. I still get students citing it, and in some cases quoting. Way to read the syllabus and detailed handout about the paper. IMO it is fine as a starting point but never the end all of info.
    Posted by jcg98[/QUOTE]

Sorry, JCG, but I didn't read any further than your post.  I had a college professor who threatened to fail us if we EVER cited wikipedia.  Then she did it.  Best. Thing. Ever.

My mom is a high school librarian and she still tells that stories to her high school English classes.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-else-noticed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:52f2ca39-2de8-4cd9-ba81-9ed50f824b49Post:39a0c6cc-6add-4e5f-90da-cdef30195f02">Re: Anyone else noticed......</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone else noticed...... : .........except that stealing is against the law...........and oh yeah...i think murder is too.
    Posted by shayna25[/QUOTE]

<div>I am not a lawyer, I am merely a law student and I suggest that you consult a fully barred layer in your state regarding these statements (disclaimer, blah blah) </div><div>
    </div><div>but, um...</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm fairly comfortable with the statement that stealing, theft, and murder are illegal.  </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-else-noticed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:52f2ca39-2de8-4cd9-ba81-9ed50f824b49Post:64b27634-0ed8-45d4-8c41-d05b590672e2">Re: Anyone else noticed......</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone else noticed...... : So you're saying that Emily Post (an accepted etiquette guru) and the Emily Post Institute (ditto) writing the rules of etiquette is opinion, but a bunch of men in suits writing that stealing is wrong is a fact?
    Posted by TheFutureMrsRohlman22[/QUOTE]

I wasn't sure who to reply to first, but I guess I will start here. Yes that is exactly what I am saying, and I think anyone with a brain would agree. You and the other few people that have stated similar things are really reaching if you want to compare something that is illegal to something written in a book with no laws associated to it. Emily Post may have written a book about etiquette, and she may be the accepted as the "guru" as you put it, but it makes it no less an opinion. Lots of books have been written on various topics. For instance, in many circles Dr. Spock is considered the guru of child Psycology. However, it was still just his opinions on child rearing and how it should be handled that was published.

As for the woman who said there are no Stepford Wives around here, I'm doubtful. But perhaps you would like it better if I referred to all of you as lemmings since you don't seem to have any ideas of your own and your just following along with what some book told you.
    ?We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act. Joy follows them like a shadow that never leaves them.? ~ Buddha
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-else-noticed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:52f2ca39-2de8-4cd9-ba81-9ed50f824b49Post:595b637c-e58a-4527-afc7-8d91143159b5">Re: Anyone else noticed......</a>:
    [QUOTE]YES. that's actually the reason i traveled on over to this board....i thought it was for venting about rude brides....which I have also noticed that almost anytime anyone asks for advice, people don't just give advice, they give their opinion in just about the rudest way possible.   Seriously, give your opinion, but there's no need to be rude about it or tell people how they HAVE to do things.  I'm so sick of seeing things like that.
    Posted by shayna25[/QUOTE]

I agree with this - So, to answer the original question... Oh hell yes, I have noticed a LOT of women are terrible to each other on this site over the strangest things.  It's shocking to me that women who seem to think themselves classy stoop to the levels they do when it comes to "giving their opinion."  It seems to me that if you're giving information about ettiquette (even if it's something you consider to be fact, and not just opinion) you should do it in a tactful way, otherwise you're being a hypocrite.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards