Pre-wedding Parties

Tight Budget Wedding

My fiance and I are on a tight budget (as of right now we are paying for the wedding entirely by ourselves). We weren't planning on having an engagement party since it would cut down on cost to have less events. Now we are thinking about not having a wedding shower as well. Im not really asking if its okay not to have a wedding shower because I know its our choice but can't we just combine it with the reception and have everyone bring whatever gifts they wish to give us there?

Re: Tight Budget Wedding

• Engagement parties, bridal showers, and bachelor/bachelorette parties are gifts that are planned and paid for by people that want to give them to the bride and groom. These are completely unnecessary and shouldn't be expected or demanded. It's tacky, rude, and considered gift grabby to throw these parties in your honor. Just plan the wedding you and your FI can afford and host your guests properly. You can have your wedding at a non-meal time and just have cake and punch. Nice and easy!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_tight-budget-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:3904cdf5-becc-4a81-9c0a-c6b3e1fa462aPost:1c2478de-ba89-4e80-a21f-acbefa2eac39">Tight Budget Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are on a tight budget (as of right now we are paying for the wedding entirely by ourselves). We weren't planning on having an engagement party since it would cut down on cost to have less events. Now we are thinking about not having a wedding shower as well. Im not really asking if its okay not to have a wedding shower because I know its our choice but can't we just combine it with the reception and have everyone bring whatever gifts they wish to give us there?
    Posted by JillianRose21[/QUOTE]
    What?  NO.  You cannot combine a reception and a shower.  The point of a shower is for people to shower you with gifts.  The point of a reception is for you to thank your guests for coming to witness your marriage ceremony - it's your gift to them.  On top of that, you cannot host or plan your own shower anyway, and the same with engagement parties. 

• JoseD12JoseD12 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2012

It's your wedding so do it your way and have fun:) By opening the door for guests to bring gifts to the reception be prepared for anything to arrive or for more visitors delivering gifts directly to your home. (Just my opinion)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards