Second Weddings

Seriously?

I just posted this on the July board, but I thought you all would appreciate this as well.

I just got the most awkward phone call from this girl at our church. A little background: FI and I were both married before, and she moved here after we were both divorced and dating each other. A few months ago, she walks up to FI and says, "so I just heard the news that you were both married before."

How is that news? It happened three years ago. Anyway, this girl is like 23 or 24, has been very sheltered, but she is married and has a baby. So you think she'd have a little more life experience.

Anyway, she calls me a few minutes ago. She asks where the reception is, like it's not written on the invitation. I tell her, and then she asks, "so you'll have like dinner and dancing?". I tell her, and then she asks, "so you too will be dressing up? Like I can wear what I would wear to church? I just wasn't sure because I've never been to a second wedding before."

I did not even know what to say.

Re: Seriously?

• Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    I would have just started laughing.  But that's me.  She sounds young and very inexperienced.  When you see her next, ask her if she has any other questions for you.  I did not realize how many false assumptions and ignorance there is about second (or third or more) weddings until I began planning my wedding. 

Keep your sense of humor and, if it all becomes too much, take a look at this, it should give you a nice, deep belly laugh:  http://www.someecards.com/usercards/viewcard/MjAxMi0xMDIwYmJmZWQwNGJkMmQx
  • <div>Chalk it up to her being niave and if she's lucky she'll spend her entire life with her husband. However, should she ever find herself divorced she will be eating a great big slice of humble pie! You don't have to be defensive - but definitely set her (or anyone else) straight if they start in on you again. </div><div>
    </div><div>April</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://second.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_seriously?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:12eb15b0-b4b1-48d2-9032-c0fa6d3f76e7Post:26fe18af-db68-4b24-b4dd-c2fc5170f75a">Seriously?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just posted this on the July board, but I thought you all would appreciate this as well. I just got the most awkward phone call from this girl at our church. A little background: FI and I were both married before, and she moved here after we were both divorced and dating each other. A few months ago, she walks up to FI and says, "so I just heard the news that you were both married before." How is that news? It happened three years ago. Anyway, this girl is like 23 or 24, has been very sheltered, but she is married and has a baby. So you think she'd have a little more life experience. Anyway, she calls me a few minutes ago. She asks where the reception is, like it's not written on the invitation. I tell her, and then she asks, "so you'll have like dinner and dancing?". I tell her, and then she asks, "so you too will be dressing up? Like I can wear what I would wear to church? I just wasn't sure because I've never been to a second wedding before." I did not even know what to say.
    Posted by molly&dale[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Be glad she asked rather than just assuming something incorrectly, or whispering around.  That is a straightforward & appropriate way to handle a lack of experience with something.  I wouldn't work myself up over a judgement that is unintended. ~Donna
  • kaceymariekaceymarie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    hahaha wow it's like she's rubbing it in your face.
  • I agree about her naïveté...but honestly - I probably talk t myself that way more than anyone has addressed me out loud! I think '2nd marriage for each if us, so I shouldn't...register, have a gift table...wear white...get excited...let my parents help..." I am so glad my Mom said Let me help! And my sister aid "don't forget the gift table" and the team I supervise at work said "Register already!" However, I only talk to myself...for the record...I can't imagine addressing to another bride! I can't imagine being 24 either...
    ~~Mendi~~ ...Everyone has their price; mine's chocolate Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards