Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

HELP! Winter Wedding- can I have short bridesmaid dresses?!

I've been searching for bridesmaid dresses for a little while now, and I'm getting frustrated. I'm getting married in January, so I assumed I need to have long dresses form my bridesmaids. Unfortunately, most of the dresses I've come across look like blah versions of dresses I saw when shopping for prom in high school. Is it a total fashion faux pas to have them in tea length or shorter dresses? I think short dresses are cuter anyways! PLEASE HELP!

Re: HELP! Winter Wedding- can I have short bridesmaid dresses?!

• Options
    I don't think it would be a problem.  Their dresses should really match your wedding (as far as the formality of the dress is concerned) they don't really have to match the season.  The only thing I could see being a drawback is that they might be a little cold if you plan on doing any kind of outdoor activities (like pictures). 
  • Options
    I think a short dress should be OK. I would suggest stoles or pashminas or something for them though if you're doing anything outside, so they can stay warm.
  • Options
    thank you ladies so much, i really appreciate the feedback!
  • Options
    I went to an outdoor wedding on the 23rd of January, and the bridesmais had on tea length dresses. It was about 30 degrees outside.
  • Options
    I had my wedding a few weeks ago, a blizzard with over 2 feet of snow fell Friday night into Saturday around 4, it was still snowing during the ceremony/transfer to reception. My girls wore strappy silver shoes (all got to pick their own silver shoe) and tea length dresses. One BM was 8 months pregnant.

http://ssphotography.wordpress.com/2010/02/24/jaclyn-jimmy-part-ii/

I got them a little wrap. They wore coats. There was heat in the church/reception hall, and I didn't make them get outside pictures taken (I would have gotten a few if the one wasn't 8 months pregnant). It worked, and I think it looked nice. No one complained about being cold either.
  • Options
    absolutly! go for winter freindly ones though, pick out a shrug or wrap to match the dress, closed toed shoes so stockings are an option, and fabric that is heavier winter fabric ie satin or silk dupioni
  • Options
    You can always give them a pashmina or wrap for a bridesmaid gift.  I only think it would be a faux pas if you force them to do any outside activities other than a few photos if the weather isn't too cold.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards