Registry and Gift Forum

A couple of questions about wedding registry. Please help!

Hey everyone,

I have a couple of questions about setting up my wedding registry:

1) How many stores should my FI and I register at? We were thinking Sears (for tools), BB& B and Target...is that too many?

2) My FI and I already living together and don't really need too much. We were thinking about just doing tools, maybe some things for the bathroom (towels, etc), bar ware and some cooking utensils we don't have. Do you think that's ok?

3) Lastly, what should I do about the bridal shower? Should there be a different registry for that? We are not putting a lot on our registry so I don't know what items should be on there for a bridal shower.

Sorry for the long post. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jackie
imageAnniversary

Re: A couple of questions about wedding registry. Please help!

• 1.  Generally you should register at 2-3 stores.  3 is fine, 4 starts to look gift-grabby.

2. The items you mentioned are pefectly fine to register for.  Don't feel like you need to register for things like china if you don't need/want them just because they are traditional.  You might also want to check out the post at the top of this page called "Don't know what to register for?" for more ideas.

3.  The same registries are for the shower and wedding.  You don't create two separete sets.  If you only put a small number of items on your registry, you should probably decline offers to throw showers for you.  The point of a shower is to shower the bride with gifts.  If there are very few items on your registry, it will be difficult for guests to find enough shower presents to give you.
  • Thank you so much, I really appreciate the quick response! I will look at the post and see if there is anything else that I can add.
    imageAnniversary
  • I agree with PP.  I would like to add that you might want to consider getting upgrades of items you already have.  A new set of sheets for your bed, a guest bed, new pillows, if you never got a particular piece of cookware (like a wok or something unique) that you would use.  You could also put things on the registry that you've always wanted but never had enough $$ to buy, sometimes several people may go in together to buy you a really nice gift.  Another recommendation I've heard is the prep for a child -- sheets that fit a child size bed, any kids rooms accessories, etc.  The day and age of "is this item appropriate for my registry" is starting to disappear... people understand that your registry is just your wish list and a good starting point to find something for you that you will ACTUALLY want.

Good luck! 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Everything you listed is completely acceptable. And since you and FI have most of the basics you could register for upgrade like a PP said.  For instance, FI and I have towels but not pretty display towels so we registered for that.

You can really register for anything except money and I personally advise to shy away from personal hygiene products like razors.  But really, just about anything. We are registered for a PS3 because FI's dude friends are throwing him a groom shower and I am pretty sure they aren't going to get on the Pottery Barn website and order our bedding as a gift :) 

You could have camping supplies if your are outdoors-y people, entertainment things if you really like movies and TV, etc.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_couple-of-questions-wed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:146661f4-fc46-4649-b198-33df6d0c1293Post:b36192aa-60b4-4eeb-8c7f-41d2c96b2efa">Re: A couple of questions about wedding registry. Please help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]kellya01, I would find it very strange if I saw that someone's wedding registry contained gifts for children that aren't even conceived yet.  Who knows, the couple might never conceive at all and would have all those baby gifts sitting around as a weird reminder that they couldn't conceive.  I can't see any good reason for a couple to register for baby-type gifts when the occasion is their marriage.  What would they put on their registry in the event that they do have a famiily -- pots and pans?
    Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]

<div>The OP was just looking for ideas, I offered a few ideas.  No one can be perfect and have all 100% wonderful ideas approved by all 100% of the people who read these boards.  It's a "take it or leave it" kind of message board... I was brainstorming.  Oh, and guest room or children's things are recommended on the registry guides at most major registry-available stores.  Sorry if my ideas didn't meet your full approval.  I can only please 1 person a day, and today may not be your day.  So sorry. </div>
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Is it suddenly getting nasty all up in here or is it just me? Goodness...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards