Snarky Brides

People who helped pick out their rings

BF and I have been looking around for E-rings. We have looked online and made one shopping trip. The salesperson kept talking about knowing it was the one, everyone has one perfect one, just like your husband, blah blah blah.

I think most of it was BS but now I am kind of freaked out spending this amount of money on a ring that I don't feel like is absolutely perfect. Am I just being crazy or did anyone actually feel that way about one ring?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: People who helped pick out their rings

• I don't want to get my hopes up that it will be soon but I'm thinking the next 6 months probably. We've had a lot of talks lately about our reasons for waiting and some of it just doesn't really make sense for our situation anymore. But we just went to look because he had been looking and wanted some help, but I know he's not ready to buy it right this second.

He also was worried about going together because he feels like it is taking away from the "suprise" so I know even if he bought it today he wouldn't be proposing right away.

• And everyone else, thanks that's kind of what I logically think, but then I start freaking out. I kind of feel like the salesperson was hinting towards having one specially made when he kept asking if each one was perfect. I'm assuming that would cost more but maybe I'm just cynical about salespeople.

• Aww, well yay :)
    Do you have a certain style or anything that appealed more to you?
  • Ama!! It's been forever!

I knew the elements I wanted in mine and basically picked it when I found it. DH and I were open about what I wanted and actually found the same ring on a website and said "this is it!" I'm like that though - did the same with my dress. I don't think you have to feel like there has to be a "this is the one!" moment, but I do think you have to like it enough to obviously where it forever.
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • How have you been Roxy? Are you and T getting there?

I actually do have one ring that I am absolutely in love with but it is on the internet and BF does really wants to buy from a brick and mortar store. That is probably not really helping my freak out. I'll post a picture in a second, I have to go get it.

What style do you like?

• It's from Brilliant Earth. I'm not sure if I would want the band too or a simpler band, but I love the detail and haven't found anything quite the same around here.

• That is really gorgeous. I think the matching band is really lovely with it.

• Hi Brooke! I know I know, I'm kind of shocked you all even remember me! And thanks, I'm kind of in love with it! I like the band too but I have really small hands and can't decide if it would be too think on my finger with both. I guess it doesn't really matter since BF doesn't want to order online. We were just in San Francisco last year too, maybe I can convince him we should just go back and buy it. That sounds totally cost effective.

• I can understand your BF not wanting to order online, but we did it, and everything turned out fine :)

It looks like it has a vintage feel - have you tried looking for something similar in non-chain jewelry stores?
  • Ama- that's gorgeous! I've heard having rings custom made is not as much as one may think. So maybe look into having one done?

I ring I love is online or in NYC only, I think T is ok with that though. No new word on where we're at...
  • I think that is our problem Brooke, we don't really know where to look. We went to a couple chains and one local, but the local was super expensive and out of our price range, and still didn't really have anything similar. I like the vintage look to, the side stones are easy to find but not the engraving or whatever on the sides.

His boss told him that he got his wife's from Blue Nile and has ordered other presents for her their, so he wants to look there because he feels more comfortable with the recommendation. They didn't really have anything I liked as much either. So I guess I just need to find someone who ordered from Brilliant Earth or start asking around for where else to look around here.

• Maybe also try some Estate rings?
  • We thought about that too Roxy but I honestly don't even know where to start with that!

• Do you have a picture Roxy? I'd love to see it!

• The whole 'the one' crap annoys me.

We did a lot of shopping, and I found a ring I loved.  I don't think I was 100% sure at first, but once it was on my finger I found that it is absolutely perfect for me and that I can't wait to stare at it for the rest of my life.  :-)
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Hahaha I have it saved as "THE ring". I'm that type though, I know what I like (sometimes- with somethings :P) and I know this is my favorite.
  • That's beautiful Roxy! I wish I could be that decisive (about anything!).

• Haha I have my indecisive moments but when it comes to silly things like rings, vehicles, boots...I know what I want.
  • I saw a ring on a website, and then realized that the jeweler, whose work I had long liked, was actually an hour or so from me.  So I sent a request to the jeweler to see that ring, and then when we got to our appointment, they had pulled about 20-25 rings of the same size and style (champagne & cognac diamonds).  I didn't remember which one of them I had seen on the website, but my fiance did, and it was actually the one I ended up picking out.  So I guess there was a one, but I was just so excited to be shopping with him that any one I loved would have been "the one."
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KentuckyKateKentuckyKate member
    First Comment
    edited September 2010
    I had "the feeling" about my ring.  But that's the kind of shopper I am in general.  I picture what I want in my head, and then go on a wild goose chase to find it, and I'm usually not satisfied until I do.  This applied to my ring of course, but also little things like a sweater in an exact shade of green that I imagined, or a white sundress with blue flowers...

So basically, I pictured my ring, crossed my fingers that it existed somewhere, and then looked everywhere until I found it. 
    Abigail Rose, EDD 6/8/13 BabyFetus Ticker

Nose Job Blog
  • I should clarify my 'the one' statement - I more mean that I dislike the pressure to find the be all, end all ring.  If that makes any sense. 

• edited September 2010
    That ring is absolutely gorgeous!!!

But back to the original questions, I had a "this is the style I have to have!" moment. I got it narrowed down to two rings and I could not decide to save my life so I took one of my BFFs with me to look at both of them which actually helped a lot.  FTR we already had the chapel booked, we were just waiting for DH to build his savings up before he bought the ring so it's not like anyone was going to be shocked when he proposed anyway!

I also used to tell DH that I get a 15 year upgrade which sounds horrible when I write that out but imagine my surprise that I actually love my ring so much that I never want to give it up!

ETA: I just reread this post and I sound like a complete biotch, I swear I'm not a horrible person!
  • Sucrets I definitely agree with you. Honestly I am not sure I even agree with the concept of "the one" for a fiance let alone a ring.

I do believe my BF is perfect for me, I just think if we had made different choices in our lives and not found each other, we would have found someone else perfect for us. So um yeah, how am I supposed to find THE ONE in a ring? I think there is probably more than one ring I would like to wear for the rest of my life, and I am letting stupid salespeople get to me.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_people-helped-pick-out-their-rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5a2a24d8-0362-49ec-9b0c-4255939451b8Post:22ef6906-2503-444e-95c5-cd7e5ef9e242">Re: People who helped pick out their rings</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sucrets I definitely agree with you. Honestly I am not sure I even agree with the concept of "the one" for a fiance let alone a ring. I do believe my BF is perfect for me, I just think if we had made different choices in our lives and not found each other, we would have found someone else perfect for us. So um yeah, how am I supposed to find THE ONE in a ring? I think there is probably more than one ring I would like to wear for the rest of my life, and I am letting stupid salespeople get to me.
    Posted by amalama[/QUOTE]

You + me = twinsies.  I completely agree with your statement.

And, I felt that way about a dress.  I found something that I liked and was a good price.  Could I have found something better?  Sure, but I also didn't want to fall in love with something twice as expensive, and I know that I would have.

• nda_roxybabenda_roxybabe member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited September 2010
    Jenna- haha it's ok. T keeps asking if I can get a cheapy now and upgrade later. I told him I'd rather wait for something I love and keep forever. I've had a ring, from him. It is pretty but I don't want to have a 2nd ring just to have a 3rd ring.

ETA:  sorry. See, that comes of whiny too. I don't mean it that way. My point is when I get a ring, I wont want to upgrade it. I'll want it to be forever. The whole sentimental nonsense you know?
  • Jenna I don't think that sounds bitchy at all. I would be totally okay with doing that too, would probably even like doing that, but BF is a lot more sentimental than me. He definitely wants the ring he proposes with to be a forever ring.

• Probably a good idea Roxy! My original thought when we first decided to get married was that being straight out of college and heading to med school that I wouldn't get anything too special but we ended up being really dilligent with our funds so I ended up getting a ring I loved.

My mom also got a bangin upgrade on her and my dad's 25 year anniversary so naturally I was thinking I'd want to upgrade one day!
  • My mom got a new ring for their 10th which is awesome. T is always like "but, you'd want abigger diamond if you could have one.." and I'm like no, I dont think so. I think if I got the ring I wanted, I'd be content with it forever.
    Then again, who knows.
  • Roxy I definitely don't think I would want to upgrade my diamond (well based on what he has been looking at and our already shared finances so I have a pretty good idea what he can afford). Like I said, I have small hands and big and flashy just isn't my style. When they asked at the jeweler what sizes we were looking at and I gave a maximum instead of a minimum the jeweler laughed at me!

So I guess if I wanted to change it I wouldn't necessarily be "upgrading", just changing the style. I think that's what has me freaked out, I know he would hate that so I'm feeling a lot of pressure to pick something I will never want to change.

And I think I'm going to have to say good night girls! I need to straighten up because BF's mom will be here tomorrow morning to babysit and I hate her seeing the house messy, and I have a little studying to do too. Now that I've been back once I'm sure I'll be around more though. Night ladies!

• Haha don't stress about it. I'm pretty sure you'll end up loving whatever he picks :)

Goodnight!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards