Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Re: : ?

• I'm in the Air Force too, and I have never heard of them forcing anyone to get married.  

You get one wedding.  If you do a courthouse now, you don't get a "big formal wedding" later unless you divorce each other first.  So, you can do your courthouse wedding now (with or without the trailer park theme), or you can wait and do the big wedding later.  Not both.  Sorry.  
    DSC_9275
  • It's because we have a child && they don't enlist single parents
  • Girlie1030Girlie1030 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_venue-trailer-park?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:f6f2ee83-720c-4a06-9e66-a871bc2b0c12Post:174bdcf1-9c91-4c26-873a-a8a462f51f7f">Re: Venue: Trailer park?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's because we have a child && they don't enlist single parents
    Posted by ChancyLynn00[/QUOTE]

Edited to add OP:
    <div class="Discussion_PostQuote">We are getting married in a month. JUST now planned. We were going to do a courthouse wedding but <strong>my mother suggested having a big redneck wedding in the trailer park. The decorating sounds way cute! </strong>We HAVE to be married by the end of October, due to the airforce. We have been together 3 yrs. I'm 18 he's 20. We have a kid && will eventually have a BIG formal wedding this will just be a cheap fun way of doing it So main question. Trailer park venue or not?
    Posted by ChancyLynn00</div>

Since she's DD everything. 
  • Well, you dd'd so I didn't get to see the original post but I think I can figure it out.  The AF isn't forcing anyone to get married, but none of the forces will enlist a single parent.  You either have to be married or hand over custody of your child to someone else while  you are in the military (unless you get married while you are in the military).  

Why did you delete?  Your post could have helped someone else out.  If you want to enlist, scale down your wedding plans and plan it before you sign the papers.  Easy peasy.
  • You get one wedding. Don't blame the military for your poor life choices. You're not being forced to do anything.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A month is more than enough time to put together a perfectly lovely wedding.  My SIL's wedding was planned in 3 weeks.  She had a dress, ceremony musician, about 70 guests, a full reception, a wedding cake, flowers, the whole nine yards.  You have to be flexible in your vision, but it can happen.  Do the big wedding now, or do a courthouse wedding, but you get one and one only.
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_venue-trailer-park?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:f6f2ee83-720c-4a06-9e66-a871bc2b0c12Post:1ccfcd80-b523-4cf9-8d94-e884e7175345">Re: : ?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wrong.  The military is full of single parents who enlisted although they had kids.  The military just wants to ensure that someone will be a guardian for the kids while the parent is deployed.  Name a second guardian, and you are fine. No good excuse for a do-over.  Get your wedding gown.  Get your wedding cake. Get married at your house with a few friends.  That's what soldier brides have done for generations.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>Retread - I am not wrong about single parents not being able to enlist without giving up custody.  My last 11 years were split between military personnel at the division level and the Recruiting Command.  Knowledge of enlistment criteria was required at both places.</div><div>
    </div><div>Single parents cannot enlist without giving up custody (if they have sole custody).  If you become a single parent while IN the service, you must create a Family Care Plan, name who the guardian will be, have their signature, and have it notarized.  I published many discharge orders for Soldiers who would not put such a plan in place.  I had one until I married DH. </div><div>
    </div><div>I have no doubt the Air Force has told her she can't enlist as a single parent, but that isn't a reason to have multiple weddings.  Two separate issues.</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA to add article from the American Bar Association on this subject:</div><div>
    </div><div><a href="http://apps.americanbar.org/family/military/silent/singleparent_enlist.pdf" rel="nofollow">http://apps.americanbar.org/family/military/silent/singleparent_enlist.pdf</a> </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • It REQUIRES a court document turning custody over to another person if they aren't married. PERIOD.  I did this stuff for 11 years, I know what the Hell I am talking about.
  • The part that's so distasteful about this whole thing is the "big trailer trash, haha we're getting so-called 'married'" attitude that the OP has. 

OP, there are people who would give anything to be able to legally marry the person they love. 

You seem incredibly immature and don't seem to have a clue what a marriage means. 

I suggest you put off marriage for a couple years and get some perspective on life in general.

Sorry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards