Washington-Seattle

Ceremony Ideas Needed!

What is something we could do instead of the unity candle/sand thing?

Re: Ceremony Ideas Needed!

• edited December 2011
    Are you wanting a specific "unity" thing instead of the traditional sand or candle ceremony? Or are you just wanting some other things to help fill the time?

For example, I don't think we're planning on a sand or candle ceremony. However, our officant is going to hand out slips of paper to family members to read during our ceremony. Like a poem, or something broken up into parts.

Something cool I saw on Four Weddings was when they passed around the rings in a small bag for each guest at their wedding to be a part of the ceremony. I think the couple was reading a poem during this.

I really like the idea of including family in the ceremony in unique ways.
    Anniversary
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did a lei exchange (since we were in Hawaii).  You can fill the time with whatever you want, though.  If we'd had a local wedding, instead of any other ceremonies, we'd probably have gone with readings that were personal to us.
  • edited December 2011
    We did a wine ceremony instead of the unity candle/sand ceremony.  Since we are not super religious it fit us really well.   It was pretty straight-forward and if you would like the words the officiant used PM me  - he gave me a copy of the ceremony for us to keep. 

Plus you both get to have a sip of wine during the ceremony - what's better than that?  :)
    Married my best friend September 26, 2010 image
  • edited December 2011
    You could do a handfasting. I got this idea from a posting a long time ago. Here is the idea that the other knottie shared, unfortunately, I don't remember who it was.

"What you do is put a scarf around your hands and then our commissioner said some really nice words... they used it back before there were wedding bands.  This is what he said:

These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as you promise to love each other. These are the hands that will work alongside yours, as together you build your future These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, and with the slightest touch, will comfort you like no other. These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief fills your mind These are the hands that will wipe the tears from your eyes. These are the hands that will help you to hold your family as one. These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it. And finally, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and old, will still be reaching out for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness, with just a touch ...

You could always change up the words or make it unique to you. I thought it was a great idea.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kinmir - I think that handfasting ceremony was on my bio for a long time. :)   It was actually knottie Mandysmear's (she posts on E regularly), and I agree - I think it's beautiful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards