Snarky Brides

The worst wedding trends on Pinterest...

Re: The worst wedding trends on Pinterest...

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_the-worst-wedding-trends-on-pinterest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:693aa463-29a8-4af8-86c9-7e0a9aea53eaPost:5c816b1f-f2ed-46af-87fa-28da03fcf071">Re: The worst wedding trends on Pinterest...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The worst wedding trends on Pinterest... : For real. This drives me nuts. I'd hope you'd remember it just fine without photographic evidence. Although, my FI tells me he wishes someone had snapped my picture when he asked. He says it's the only time he's ever seen me speechless ;)
    Posted by CourtaniaLynn[/QUOTE]

<div>I have a really poor memory and so I love to make scrapbooks of everything. My FI knows me so well. He proposed by asking the waiter to take our picture, then got on one knee! So he totally did get a pic of our engagment. I didn't expect that. </div><div>
    </div><div>The thing is, though, I had/have no expectations for what he is supposed to do. I wouldn't have ever asked him to have a photographer or to have someone take a pic of it!</div>
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_the-worst-wedding-trends-on-pinterest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:693aa463-29a8-4af8-86c9-7e0a9aea53eaPost:93da55f3-720e-4008-99d0-4287bb15909f">Re: The worst wedding trends on Pinterest...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the guns thing was pretty tasteless (a lot like dragging the groom to the alter) but I don't see it as being particularly common, so I wouldn't call it a trend. I HATE the burlap thing. I get it, you are country and down home, but that doesn't mean you can't get dressed up for your own wedding. Also, burlap and lace don't go. Lace is delicate, burlap is rough, and it isn't an interesting or artsy contrast, it is just silly. Either your decor is delicate and lacey, or you are preparing to ship coffee and potatoes, not both.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA yes, exactly.  I also do not get 'burlap.'  Nor do I understand how EVERYONE wants to be married in a barn.  But then, I grew up in rural New Hampshire.  I think SOME people should get married in a barn, but most people who envision this clearly have never spent any time on a farm.  Barns tend to be full of bugs, mice, sometimes rats, smelly, drafty, and .... PORTA-POTTY.  Then again, *some* barns are quite stylish and comfortable, with working bathrooms, a/c, heat, and no rodents.  But - for the cost of renting these you might as well lump them in with just about any other wedding venue. I think the contrived premise that a barn is chabby chic and affordable means we are back to considering rodents and porta-potty rental.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_the-worst-wedding-trends-on-pinterest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:693aa463-29a8-4af8-86c9-7e0a9aea53eaPost:7cfde3ff-5e0c-4927-be56-09bac6e9619d">Re: The worst wedding trends on Pinterest...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm so glad someone started this thread!!! I love Pinterest, don't get me wrong, but the wedding stuff is just a little insane. A lot of my "peeves" are probably more about my taste than anything but: The words "rustic" and "vintage" used for EVERYTHING Mason jars (sorry!) Lace and burlap (SN: my fMIL has this on HER wedding board... IDK for who's wedding but it ain't gonna be in mine!) The "rules" for proposing (must ask parents, must have friends pick out the ring, must be photographed, etc) Any of the "duties" lists or the "who pays for what" lists! GIGANTIC rocks The "Someday my prince will come..." boards - i.e. the "I'm not actually in a committed relationship but I want to plan my PPD, too!" boards "Tiffany Blue" Gray and yellow Christian stuff (I'm agnostic, no offense to anyone religious) Ombre And my #1: Unnecessarily abbreviated words. i.e. "adorbs!" or "totes!" or THE WORST OFFENDER EVER: "hilar!"
    Posted by CourtaniaLynn[/QUOTE]

Your post is tots hilar!
  • Okay....I'm a gray and yellow bride.  In my defense, we picked our colors two years ago before the color combo threw up in every department store we have been to recently.  *tear* I still love it though. 

June 1, 2013 - finally making it official!

• Groomsmen in suspenders.

Engagement photos where the man's head is cut out of the shot, and the bride to be is smiling smugly. Ugh.

Stripey straws in mason jars.

People trying to recreate "The Notebook" in their wedding party looks.

Anything with "brides bitches" "my girls" or "diva"
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_the-worst-wedding-trends-on-pinterest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:693aa463-29a8-4af8-86c9-7e0a9aea53eaPost:3da85f41-6745-40df-b75e-890dab8dbf6d">Re: The worst wedding trends on Pinterest...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with the above poster that stylistic stuff doesn't bother me that much. What DOES drive me nuts on Pinterest, however is:  - super young girls who have amassed thousands of ideas for their "future wedding" before they can even legally get married. I guess most of us thought about what we'd like "one day", but Pinterest enables all sorts of unhealthy obsessing. -  pinning a ton of contrived "must have" pics.  I can't imagine the day of my wedding wanting to stand there for hours while the photographer precisely places one of our rings in the foreground so he can get us in the middle of it kissing in the background. *huge eye roll* -  4+ carat rings with tags like "so simple and dainty! Some day ... " (generally pinned by the demographic in #1) - lists of ridiculous bridesmaid duties. ("Have one of your bridesmaids carry a tray of bottled beer to the groomsmen before the ceremony!") Ain't no one got time for that  -3D wedding "nail art"  So many things make me ragey on Pinterest, but that's all I've got for now. 
    Posted by OjitosVerdes[/QUOTE]

I agree about the young young girls who have thousands of pictures for their future weddings that they aren't even legally able to do let alone afford?????? I myself am 28 and have been with my boyfriend for 4 years and we are hoping to get married soon so I do pin things that I find would be good for my wedding but I am definitely only pinning stuff I would actually do! It's amazing how obsessed people are with pinterest! I personally like weddinggawker.com as well for ideas.
  • I hear you on the someday brides who are under 18, but I'm glad they have an outlet for all of that sillyness, rather then them scaring their bfs off with wedding idea talk! LOL!
  • I would agree with the majority of the responses here, but I have to admit... 

I'm going burlap! 

My wedding is Cuban/Latin themed and Burlap is a very popular fabric in Cuba (not just for the coffee).

Before I even knew burlap was a trend, I decided to incorporate it in our theme. 

Ultimately, I could care less about what other people like or HATE.  I'm going for originality and inviting my friends and family to a huge celebration of love.  Food, dancing, drinks and fun is what it's all about for us.  If I like something and it works, yay for me!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MUMFORDING!  YES!  There is a name for it, and I totally agree that it's going to be the powder blue suits of the 70's in 20 years.  I do think that part of the fun of wedding photos is looking back and seeing the crazy styles though.  No matter how timeless your wedding is, some elements will definitely be of the 20-teens or whatever.

What really grinds my gears more than just groomsmen in suspenders is the super-casual groom with the dressed to the nines princess bride.  It's fine and all if you want a casual wedding, but then make everything casual.  You can't have the groom in jeans and a flannel and then walk down the aisle in a 5k gown.  That just looks DUMB.  
  • RM1982RM1982 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_the-worst-wedding-trends-on-pinterest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:693aa463-29a8-4af8-86c9-7e0a9aea53eaPost:4d9e0444-81a4-42b0-9b7a-e7768d903043">Re: The worst wedding trends on Pinterest...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess it just depends on person and personal opionion. We loved to hunt, and I have ridden horses all my life. We are doing the rusic type wedding. And my fiance will make sure there is at least one photo with our hunting dogs and guns.  We are using mason jars just because they are so inexpensive and it depends on how its set up i guess.  My cake is far from cookie cutter, we are doing some version of this and he has no idea. I told him no when he wanted it and am surprising him. But thats all just kinda of us i guess.
    Posted by Waffle21[/QUOTE]

<div>That cake is awesome!</div>
  • I agree with a lot that has been said. 

I really do not like the bride dragging the groom to the alter stuff. I know it is kind of a joke, but it just feels like they don't want to be there. Kind of that belief that there is a bit of truth in every joke.

I also do not like those "Mr. Right"/ "Mrs. Always Right" signs on the chairs. Both parties will be wrong at times. It seems unfair and disrespectful to imply the Groom will always be wrong, even as a joke.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited November 2013

• aefitz29 said:

yeah i never liked the whole over elaborate propsal, especially the whole must ask my fathers permission. that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. you are not property and you should be allowed to marry to marry who you want.

My fiance asked both of my parents for permission. He made arrangements to sit down with them during a brief stint of them visiting in town. It wasn't to ask for my hand as property but to get their blessing because it matters to them. I thought it was incredibly sweet and above and beyond for him to arrange that meeting.

I didn't know anything about it but his mom told me after the proposal how nervous he was to speak to my parents. She was really impressed with her son and so were my parents.

It showed my parents the great deal of respect he has for them. Just the act of asking permission showed he cared for their opinions Their approval means that they trust him to be there for me even after they are gone. They were surprised that he asked because 'no one does these days' and thought the world of him for doing so.

I thought the world of him for doing so...

I don't think it should be required considering everyone's family dynamics are different but for mine it was the right thing to do.

Side note: I asked him what he would have done if they said no. He told me he would keep trying until they said yes. That was the sweetest thing I have ever heard. The proposal wasn't elaborate beyond that. He asked me in my living room the day before my birthday.

This. My fiance went to my hometown without me knowing and asked my parents for their approval. I already knew that they really liked him, but getting their blessing was them really saying that my parents want him as a permanent part of the family. I'm really close with my whole family so this was important to me. My parents then helped him plan the proposal, and they even surprised me (they drove 11 hours!) the morning he proposed.

I agree, though, that it's definitely not required to ask the father/parents for permission.

I think a lot of it depends on how old you are and how independent. (Also, some parents say no!) We discussed the whole asking permission thing in advance. To me, it felt illogical because I had been out on my own for the better part of 10 years. I wasn't living under their roof or their rules, or financially dependent on them. I think it's different if the bride is younger and not so independent yet--then asking is still a nice courtesy.

• PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2013
    kitty8403 said:
    aefitz29 said:

yeah i never liked the whole over elaborate propsal, especially the whole must ask my fathers permission. that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. you are not property and you should be allowed to marry to marry who you want.
    My fiance asked both of my parents for permission. He made arrangements to sit down with them during a brief stint of them visiting in town. It wasn't to ask for my hand as property but to get their blessing because it matters to them. I thought it was incredibly sweet and above and beyond for him to arrange that meeting.

I didn't know anything about it but his mom told me after the proposal how nervous he was to speak to my parents. She was really impressed with her son and so were my parents.

It showed my parents the great deal of respect he has for them. Just the act of asking permission showed he cared for their opinions Their approval means that they trust him to be there for me even after they are gone. They were surprised that he asked because 'no one does these days' and thought the world of him for doing so.

I don't think it should be required considering everyone's family dynamics are different but for mine it was the right thing to do.

Side note: I asked him what he would have done if they said no. He told me he would keep trying until they said yes. That was the sweetest thing I have ever heard. The proposal wasn't elaborate beyond that. He asked me in my living room the day before my birthday.
    This. My fiance went to my hometown without me knowing and asked my parents for their approval. I already knew that they really liked him, but getting their blessing was them really saying that my parents want him as a permanent part of the family. I'm really close with my whole family so this was important to me. My parents then helped him plan the proposal, and they even surprised me (they drove 11 hours!) the morning he proposed.

I agree, though, that it's definitely not required to ask the father/parents for permission.
    I think a lot of it depends on how old you are and how independent. (Also, some parents say no!) We discussed the whole asking permission thing in advance. To me, it felt illogical because I had been out on my own for the better part of 10 years. I wasn't living under their roof or their rules, or financially dependent on them. I think it's different if the bride is younger and not so independent yet--then asking is still a nice courtesy.
    I've been out on my own over 6 years and am 27 years old. Granted that's still a young bride to some? I have my own house and my parents do not contribute financially to my life. They don't even live in the same state as I do. I think it comes down to the inter-workings of your family and traditions. It will definitely be illogical for some depending on your relationships.
  • aefitz29 said:

We had been together over 6 years so my family was waiting for a proposal. I never mentioned asking my parents... never crossed my mind.. maybe because I knew they were waiting for it to happen just like I was.

After he proposed (while on a romantic trip to Boston) and I said I couldn't wait to tell my family he told me that he had asked my father (with a bottle of rum and had a drink together) and even my stepfather (with a bottle of red wine - again had a drink together). Not only did he ask both men in my life AND then he brought their choice of alcohol to them, that meant the world to me and my family. I already knew he was the right man for me but that sealed the deal <3

Anniversary
  • Going back to the worst Pinterest ideas. 

I created a private board that only me and a few of my bridesmaids can pin and see. I like the element of surprise when it comes to our wedding. I don't want my guests to be like, "oh yeah, of course, I saw it when she pinned it.

I have a Pinterest friend who posts about her future wedding (she isn't dating or engaged) --- to each their own I guess. Not judging, but it feels good to plan and browse wedding stuff (however cheesy and silly it may be on Pinterest) when you are actually engaged. 

I didn't look for wedding anything before I started dating, while I was dating; and now that I am engaged, I do it and it feels fresh and new. But again, to each their own. 

I've mentioned it before on one of these boards, but I went to a wedding last November and EVERYTHING was inspired by Pinterest. You name it: Mason Jars, Burlap, Signs about where to seat, sand ceremony, barn setting, and even the angel's breath flowers... 
    I can't stand those signs about where to sit.
  • Going back to the worst Pinterest ideas. 

I created a private board that only me and a few of my bridesmaids can pin and see. I like the element of surprise when it comes to our wedding. I don't want my guests to be like, "oh yeah, of course, I saw it when she pinned it.

I have a Pinterest friend who posts about her future wedding (she isn't dating or engaged) --- to each their own I guess. Not judging, but it feels good to plan and browse wedding stuff (however cheesy and silly it may be on Pinterest) when you are actually engaged. 

I didn't look for wedding anything before I started dating, while I was dating; and now that I am engaged, I do it and it feels fresh and new. But again, to each their own. 

I've mentioned it before on one of these boards, but I went to a wedding last November and EVERYTHING was inspired by Pinterest. You name it: Mason Jars, Burlap, Signs about where to seat, sand ceremony, barn setting, and even the angel's breath flowers... 
    I can't stand those signs about where to sit.
    But how else will you know where to sit????

Just kidding.  I hate them, too.  And pretty much everything mentioned on this thread.

I definitely can't stand any of the "rules" for proposals.  Because obviously the setting/whether he asked "permission" (still not sure how I feel about this one, on the one hand I know my father loved that FI asked him, but on the other hand, I'm a grown ass woman, I don't need anyone's permission to marry)/whether a photographer is there/the ring are soooo much more important than the person asking the question.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • AM26561AM26561 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2013
    I'm so glad someone started this thread!!! I love Pinterest, don't get me wrong, but the wedding stuff is just a little insane.

A lot of my "peeves" are probably more about my taste than anything but:

The words "rustic" and "vintage" used for EVERYTHING
    Mason jars (sorry!)
    Lace and burlap (SN: my fMIL has this on HER wedding board... IDK for who's wedding but it ain't gonna be in mine!)
    The "rules" for proposing (must ask parents, must have friends pick out the ring, must be photographed, etc)
    Any of the "duties" lists or the "who pays for what" lists!
    GIGANTIC rocks
    The "Someday my prince will come..." boards - i.e. the "I'm not actually in a committed relationship but I want to plan my PPD, too!" boards
    "Tiffany Blue"
    Gray and yellow
    Christian stuff (I'm agnostic, no offense to anyone religious)
    Ombre

And my #1:

Unnecessarily abbreviated words. i.e. "adorbs!" or "totes!" or THE WORST OFFENDER EVER: "hilar!"
    This!!  Grinds my gears to no end!  There is only one Tiffany blue and it is Pantone 1837.  Not every light blue, robin's egg color is "Tiffany blue."  And I don't understand the "Tiffany theme" either?!  It's not a theme, you're colors are just aqua/black/silver/etc.

Edit: It clearly irks me enough to respond to a 9-month old post...
  • The over dramatic proposals and the super "out there" wedding and engagement photography! My FI is pretty shy and traditional, so to get him to even kiss me during our engagement pics was a stretch, let alone twirling in the fields and making out with me against a church while our whole family watch. There are VERY few guys that would feel comfortable doing that!

Also the country/rustic thing is very cute, but it's been DONE- and by people I'm pretty sure have never seen the inside of a barn until their wedding day!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh man.
    The pinterest boards drive me insane.

I don't mind the mason jar thing, or the burlap lace thing...except that it's everywhere!!

I also don't understand this trend of buying a bunch of vintage crap like typewriters, old letterpress things, teacups, picture frames and all this stuff to set around on tables as "artistic decorations".
    Like I've literally seen photo after photo where people have this guestbook table absolutely piled with vintage junk that yes, it is cool stuff, but really? at a wedding? WHY.
    It doesn't somehow make it "shabby chic" or "vintage" to have a bunch of junk from antique stores piled around everywhere. it just looks sloppy like you couldn't think of what the heck to decorate with and grabbed a bunch of random crap out of the house and piled it around.
    I am pretty certain no one did that even back in the 20s or whatever era it's "supposed" to look like.
    Unless you met antiquing, or say, are both writers, then I could understand the typewriters/etc. But otherwise? Just leave the tables plain! EVERYTHING does not have to be "decorated".

Or the weird set up of putting an old window behind the bridal alter. I've seen that a bunch of times too.
    It just looks off to me and is distracting.

Also not a fan of the above "naughty" photos where the butts are hanging out. Are we 5? Save that stuff for the bachelorette photos if you HAVE to do it?

My fiance and I did take a photo after he proposed, but it was like 15 mins later and it was just a photo on our phone of us together. I think it would be pretty weird to have a photographer hiding somewhere to snap pictures. I know people do that, but I personally wouldn't freak out about not having that happen.

The bride dragging the groom to the alter cake toppers always bother me too. I feel like they're childish and sad. Like oh hahaha look, he doesn't REALLY want to get married so I forced him to propose and look at me I got MY dream wedding!

That goes for the rings as well. My guy got me a gorgeous ring and yes originally I thought it would be nice to have a band with small diamonds in it to match for my wedding band. But I would much rather have him pick out a really beautiful expensive wedding band, get whatever he wants, and me get a plain gold band instead. I already have one super beautiful nice ring, I don't "need" two of them.

• The naughty bridesmaids pics? What on earth is the point? It's neither funny nor Interesting. What's it supposed to say? Good god, what an unbelievable waste of 5 minutes to pose that shot. A I missing something here? To me this looks unbearably tacky.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards