Snarky Brides

Anyone else hunkered down?

I'm pretty bored and cooped up. I got out of work early because of the storm and will probably not have work tomorrow at this rate. I'm flipping back and forth between four weddings and storm coverage. Just kind of waiting for the power to go. Our lights keep going in and out and the tank filters keep gurgling. 

Our house is surrounded by huge, old trees. FI is worried about the pines on one side breaking our fence. I'm worried about the maple over the garage taking out the garage roof and our cars. We had a big old laugh last August when we bought our home owners policy because it doesn't cover hurricanes. Pfft, hurricanes in CNY, never. Jokes on us now I guess. 

What's everyone else up to?
                                                                              Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Anyone else hunkered down?

• Stay safe!  I hope the trees don't fall on your house.

I'm far away from Sandy, and feel almost guilty about our sunny 68* forecast for the entire week.

I'm trying to stay awake until I can leave at 4.  DH's BFF is coming over for MNF and we're going to celebrate his birthday.  I need to make a beer run on the way home.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm hunkered down and already drinking wine!  Federal government (my client) was closed today and closures were just announced for tomorrow, so we're all teleworking and business is as usual...except virtual.  It was fun today but now I'm kind of getting stir crazy, and worried I don't have enough wine for another hurricane day!  Just hoping power stays on (and TV and internet), and hoping that FI doesn't get called in to work tonight, and doesn't have to stay over tomorrow (he's a police officer).

CNF-stay safe with all those trees!  We're in a condo, and the top unit doesn't have trees above it, so I think we're ok...with water being our only concern since our courtyard has bad drainage.
  • im in staten island ...staying calm and safe for now!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was just gifted a bottle of reisling, plus we have some white cat and chocolate lab in the fridge, so we're petty good on the wine front, haha.

It's louddd outside. The dog keeps getting startled and barking. The college FI works for lost power about 15 minutes ago, so we're just kind of waiting around to see what happens. 

Fingers crossed for you FI Free! 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-else-hunkered-down?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6e16e0d1-c19d-4093-8c52-d7908afa799dPost:e20110cc-15e8-462c-848e-97ce2fa19618">Re: Anyone else hunkered down?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was just gifted a bottle of reisling, plus we have some white cat and chocolate lab in the fridge, so we're petty good on the wine front, haha. It's louddd outside. The dog keeps getting startled and barking. The college FI works for lost power about 15 minutes ago, so we're just kind of waiting around to see what happens.  Fingers crossed for you FI Free! 
    Posted by cnf2013[/QUOTE]

<div>After the storm in June he spent 2 days directing traffic, and even drove an old lady somewhere since so many roads were closed and she couldn't figure out how to get around!  He's also the cop that rescues cats and dogs and other creatures.  After the June storm, he was working traffic at a major intersection and saw something black rolling around traffic, ran over, and saw it was a kitten.  It ran up into someone's car, and he stopped traffic in all directions (this is a 4 lanes in each direction major intersection), grabbed the cat out of someone's wheel well, palmed the kitten Simba (Lion King) style, and ran across the intersection to put it in his car.  I'm just surprised he hasn't brought anything home yet!</div>
  • HI Ladies! I'm hunkered down in NYC! The flooding is crazy and there are lots of power losses. We've been lucky so far! We're pretty protected where we are. Things are definitely nuts though - watching the coverage is a little scary! My office was closed today and will be again tomorrow.

The dumb people on the news are driving me nuts. There was a guy jet-skiing in the East River... REALLY? You're not only risking your life but risking the lives of the people who will have to save you. Not cool man! Really grinds my gears.

Hope you're all staying safe and dry!
    Photobucket
  • Glad to see you ladies somewhat calm and staying safe as can be.
    I too am staying put in the eye of the story as it's about to hit just about 45 minutes from me in PA around 1am. The winds are up about 60mph now and not much rain fall thank goodness. A lot of places are closed, tons of jobs are closed today and tomorrow. I on the other hand work at a grocery store so we were open today and will be all night, all day tomorrow etc. The best thing to come out of this right now is the time bf and I have gotten together today. It was nice since we get so little time to begin with.

Praying for everyone's safety and that power doesn't go out and if so it won't be out long.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • freebread03freebread03 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited October 2012
    Our local newswoman is a trip!  Two of her references while reporting down in Rehoboth, DE (she's DC-based though):

(1) "not much happening here...like my dating life" when referring to the ocean

(2) "wear weatherproof mascara" in reference to the most important thing she learned today.

I want to have drinks with this woman!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-else-hunkered-down?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6e16e0d1-c19d-4093-8c52-d7908afa799dPost:04f3aab4-8017-46a1-b93b-f361af0fa52b">Re: Anyone else hunkered down?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our local newswoman is a trip!  Two of her references while reporting down in Rehoboth, DE (she's DC-based though): (1)  "not much happening here...like my dating life" when referring to the ocean (2) "wear weatherproof mascara" in reference to the most important thing she learned today. I want to have drinks with this woman!
    Posted by freebread03[/QUOTE]

Haha - that's awesome.
    Photobucket
  • cnf2013cnf2013 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-else-hunkered-down?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6e16e0d1-c19d-4093-8c52-d7908afa799dPost:04f3aab4-8017-46a1-b93b-f361af0fa52b">Re: Anyone else hunkered down?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our local newswoman is a trip!  Two of her references while reporting down in Rehoboth, DE (she's DC-based though): (1)  "not much happening here...like my dating life" when referring to the ocean (2) "wear weatherproof mascara" in reference to the most important thing she learned today. I want to have drinks with this woman!
    Posted by freebread03[/QUOTE]

<div>I'd like to be her friend!</div><div>
    </div><div>We still have power! Still flickering, but power none the less. Had to rebolt the awning to our house, the wind ripped a bolt right out of it. But so far no trees are down. Granted, it's supposed to be worse later and tomorrow. </div><div>
    </div><div>Stay safe ladies!</div>
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm hunkered in Maine. Just misting and a little windy here, but nothing bad. Watching Jeopardy with my grandmother- she's so badass :) 
  • We're okay- no loss of power or internet or water here! We might be out of work for a while, though...H works on the Upper East Side (we're in Queens) and I work in Zone A in Long Island City so who knows what's underwater over there. MTA still shut down, none of the Queens/Brooklyn side bridges and tunnels are open, and the winds are still gusting, albeit a lot less than yesterday. The sun is trying to break through and I'm hoping to get out of my house sometime- major cabin fever here and our neighborhood fared better than a lot of others- we're lucky.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards