Maryland-Baltimore

Swan Harbor Farm

Hi ladies!  I'm new on here as I have just started the wedding planning process.  As a quick intro, my name is Leslie and I got engaged in April.  We are planning an October 2011 wedding with appox 100-150 people.  We are hoping for an outdoor ceremony and indoor or tented reception somewhere between DC and Delaware since I live in DC and my FI and most of his family is in Delaware.  Does anyone have any reviews or feedback on Swan Harbor Farm in Havre de Grace, MD?  I really fell in love with the place but wanted to know if anyone knew of any major red flags before moving forward.  Thanks!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Swan Harbor Farm

• edited December 2011
    It's an absolutely beautiful venue - and very affordable!  They book very far out...so I suggest moving quickly if you are set on it!  The only drawback is there is a subpar hotel selection in the area.
    June 2011 Siggy Challenge: My Dress

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I've seen some gorgeous weddings there! Never heard a bad thing and lived in Harford County my whole life.

They did build some new hotels right on 543 and Rt 7, right off 95 and really close to SHF. My future in laws have stayed in the Candlewood suites and the Springhill Suites, they are both really nice and brand spankin new! Good luck!
    imageimage
    The two loves of my life
  • edited December 2011
    I've never heard anything bad about them.  We had an outdoor ceremony and indoor/outdoor reception at Liriodendron and used Dean and Brown Catering.  Dean and Brown also does a lot of weddings at Swan Harbor Farm and they are amazing.
  • edited December 2011
    We strongly considered it for our wedding but Havre de Grace is a little too far for us. But it looks breathtaking from the pictures on the website!
    Sept 2011 Signature Challenge

Photobucket

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• writergirl28writergirl28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was looking into them for our wedding as well, but they book up extremely fast. You should check out the calendar on their website before you contact them. I didn't see the calendar and the lady who handles the weddings there sent me a really rude email saying how I should have the decency to check the calendar before I waste her time!  We didn't even have a set date, just wanted a Saturday evening in May or June. I was totally turned off by her response to my email.  They were also completely booked for all Saturday evenings up until Sept or Oct the last time I checked.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I loved it - but I didn't like the rain plan. I didn't like that if it were raining guests would have had to walk to the farmhouse from the tent to the bathroom.  The option for a tenting ove rthe walkway wasn't available either.

When I looked in Aug of 2009, ever Saturday in May & June of 2011 were taken.
  • MagpieJCAMagpieJCA member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to a wedding there and it was great!  The only minor issue was there were a few people walking from the docks across the field behind the couple during the ceremony but nobody really noticed and everything else seemed to go off without a hitch!
  • edited December 2011
    I think it depends on how many people you want to have because the house is not that big to host a large reception. With 100-150 I think you'd be looking at a tent and I dont know if i would recommend that in October. unless you're thinking the beginning of October (though the first weekend looks booked) because it is usually pretty cold at night at that time of year. (though i think you can rent heated tents)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies!  I really do love the place, although I really didn't like the rain plan either so fingers crossed for good weather.  We are planning early October so hopefully with the sides down in the tent later at night it will be warm enough.  I have the contract, but just wanted to get some more opinions and feedback before sending it in.  Thanks again!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lrandall325lrandall325 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes!  My FI and I were pretty much set on there, then we went to an open house there and it was pouring, the rain plan is not a good one at all!
  • What is the rain plan?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards