Flowers

Tall centerpiece help!!

I am making tall orchid centerpieces similar to the one in this photo. They will be in approx 20 inch pilsner/trumpet vases.

My question is this: My arrangements will be pretty thick but how do I ensure the flowers do not sink into the vase? Will I HAVE to use floral foam? I really do not have time to wire each stem, cut them down and place them in floral foam etc etc. If I wrap the stems in some floral tape will it hold them together and secure at the top of the vase?

Or, if I fill the vase with water pearls and a floralyte at the bottom, will the water pearls keep the steps from falling down into the vase?

Suggestions please! Anything will help. :) thank you!

-Bree

Re: Tall centerpiece help!!

• edited December 2011
    Are "water pearls" glass stones used to fill vases and weight them? The stems won't sink into those; they'll rest on top.
  • edited December 2011
    umm. you could "cheat" and place a mesh type of something on top of the vase and "poke' the flowers through the mesh. Simple easy and cheap..a florist might think of it as a "frog", but thoses are usually at the bottom of the vase. Think of a strainer that catches hair in a sink maybe.. I'll try to find a picture for you, if you wish. I have also heard iof taking masking tape and making parralle lines one way and then making them in the other to make a grid, really cheap!Best of luck!
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_tall-centerpiece?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:903be28a-6929-410c-b89b-37169afe8030Post:4b81eaa8-9d39-4fdd-8f19-cccfd8d5af3d">Re: Tall centerpiece help!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]umm. you could "cheat" and place a mesh type of something on top of the vase and "poke' the flowers through the mesh. Simple easy and cheap..a florist might think of it as a "frog", but thoses are usually at the bottom of the vase. Think of a strainer that catches hair in a sink maybe.. I'll try to find a picture for you, if you wish. I have also heard iof taking <strong>masking tape and making parralle lines one way and then making them in the other to make a grid,</strong> really cheap!Best of luck!
    Posted by LisaLovesFlowers[/QUOTE]

Florists use a clear floral tape to make grids on top of vases and such when doing mounded arrangements.  This helps when first starting the arrangement to keep some stems in place.  But looking at the arrangement in the picture I don't think this is necessary.  I would take a bunch of orchids and place them in the vase (enough to provide a good base for the additional stems.  Then take your additional stems and place them strategically in with the other orchids.  Do not over think this...it is a very simple but yet statmement making arrangement.  Once all stems are in the vase none will sink down into the vase.  Your best bet would be to practice one to get a feel for it.

• edited December 2011
    get oasis clear floral tape and make a grid across the top then tape around the top of the vase to hold the grid on... hope that makes sence... make smaller openings to put the flowers through in other words. 
  • edited December 2011
      Put the curly willow in the vase first. You can even coil some up and put it inside the vase to give more support and visual interest. That should give you enough of a base to hold the orchids up. If not, you can always use floral tape and make a grid on top of the vase to support the orchids and curly willow. I think using clear glass beads is a good idea (especially if you're doing silk flowers) to give the bottom of the vase more weight. Otherwise, the arrangement will be very top-heavy and not too stable.
  • besaw.2besaw.2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for the advice! Some of you had asked about the water pearls-- they are basically water-holding beads.. so they provide the water to the flowers. Here is a link:
    http://www.crystalwaterbeads.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1904859

They look very nice with a floralyte at the bottom-- it illuminates the entire vase.

I will be using real red mokara orchids -- so the grid might work. I'll just have to play around with it, I think.

Thank you!! :) I'm so happy I don't have to use floral foam!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards