Wedding Reception Forum

Folding Chairs - Be honest!

So, I'm getting married in 9 days - totally a good time to start thinking about this stuff... and my reception hall is a rec center - very nice, vaulted ceilings and all, but it comes with grey metal folded chairs (bingo hall style). Everyone had convinced me from the beginning that the grey chairs are fine, no one would notice and that we shouldn't pay extra for nice chairs. Well, that was fine until this morning. I am freaking out about the chairs - I want white ones... they aren't in the budget at all, but I feel like my reception hall is going to look terrible now. We are doing long lines of banquet tables with burlap table runners and milk glass filled with various blooms, pom garlands and paper lanterns handing from the ceiling, etc. The theme is whimsy fun. No elegant anything at all...

SO, I called the rental place, and they have 250 chairs immediately available for $2 each. Should I rent them and make sure my hall looks nice or am I worrying about nothing and skip it? Keep in mind this isn't in our budget at all, I would have to ask my mom for money to borrow, or something? Do people care about chairs? Will they matter in my pictures?

Please be honest.

Re: Folding Chairs - Be honest!

• Are chair covers any cheaper? To be totally honest, I almost never remember chairs, but those grey metal ones, like they have in prison functions... I'd probably notice that.

Sorry, just being honest!!
  • Honesty?  Save the $500.  No one cares about chairs except people in the wedding industry who try to convince you that such things matter when they don't.

You're thinking of empty chairs.  Within minutes of the people arriving at your reception, those chairs will have suit jackets hanging on the back.  They'll have wraps draped over them.  They'll have people sitting in them, talking and laughing and enjoying your ceremony.

If I were a family member of yours, I'd say save the $500 you'd spend on a different chair, and use it for your home.  Or something you'd love to do on your honeymoon.  Or buy something off your registry that you didn't receive.

I could not possibly care less whether the chairs I sit in are Chivari or folding.  And I'm guessing your that guests feel the same way.  Don't let the wedding tv shows and websites and magazines suck you in to something so silly.

Enjoy your wedding!  =)
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • lemkenlemken member
    First Comment
    Chair covers are out of the question for me because I don't like them, they don't match my theme at all, and they cost equally as much. I would rather  deal with metal chairs than have chair covers. I am getting sucked in by looking at too many blogs and magazines. Do you want to know the funny thing though - I had the hardest time actually finding pictures of wedding receptions with chair pictures?! It kind of made me laugh a little... but I still want white chairs :)
  • any way to ask the rec center if you can update the chairs by painting them white? you can get a big bucket of paint and start at it. they might like the idea of them spruced up. because of your time crunch though you might not have the time.. what about bulk pillow cases that have a design on them, they are a cheaper option then cover. idk if you have enough time for them to be shipped though. really though i wouldnt waste the money on renting chairs. sorry.. not worth it. if there is someone that judgemental to say oh wow, ugly chairs then they are rude...
  • If you had the time and could get some friends together, painting them with white spray paint would go pretty fast and be a lot cheaper.

Honestly, I think the white would look better.

Also honestly, if it's not in your budget don't break the bank for them, it'll be FINE.
  • Personally, I wasted money on chair covers as I liked that look much more than plain chairs.  Yes, I said I wasted money.

Spending money on white chairs when you have gray chairs available seems really unnecessary.  People will not notice your chairs.

I'm sure you've been a wedding guest before, can you picture the chairs?  I think most people remember food, booze, how much fun they had, etc.  Chairs don't usually come up on that list.

imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • What I notice about chairs is that I have a place to park my bum.  We had chiavari chairs which I liked, but I mostly liked them because we had the chair rental price waived.

People will not notice or care that you have gray folding chairs.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_folding-chairs-honest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:3435b707-a88f-4412-88d8-12e4964e9cd9Post:3fd2f53e-bb01-46f0-80e3-4270b4e379a6">Re: Folding Chairs - Be honest!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are chair covers any cheaper? To be totally honest, I almost never remember chairs, but those grey metal ones, like they have in prison functions... I'd probably notice that. Sorry, just being honest!!
    Posted by Knittibell[/QUOTE]

yeah, ditto
  • Depends on your priorities. But I think it would be worth the money to get the white ones because I do think it would make a big difference in the overall look and feel of the site.
  • I agree that it depends on your priorities. I think you know the white ones will look nicer. Chairs and colors do make a difference. Part of planning a wedding is planning an attractive reception and that includes the chairs.
  • jed15jed15 member
    First Comment
    Do they charge a setup and takedown fee for the chairs as well? We ordered 270 white chairs for my ceremony, which are $3.50 each, but then each one is an extra $2 for delivery and setup/takedown. Since your budget is already tight, this may be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I don't think anyone is going to gush over your white chairs if you get them, and the grey ones should be just fine.

IMO, chair covers look like big diapers. I absolutely hate them, and if you want nice ones, they are usually a lot more than $2 each to rent and have setup.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • um i hate folding chairs with a passion. they're uncomfortable. i dont care how a chair looks really, it's comfort that i'm looking for-and they're not it.
    if the other chairs are just white folding-forget it. but if they're more comfortable then i say go for it!

• could you just add a bow to them or something? Go out a buy a ribbon or some tulle to fashion something? Maybe hang extra poms from the back?
    ~basquing in the wedded bliss~
  • Does your price include delivery and pick up? Do you have people to place the chairs, is there a place to store the metal chairs so they aren't out in the way?

I'd prefer the white chairs but $500 is a lot to drop on renting chairs. I'd have to think a lot about that before dropping that much money, especially if I have to also pay for delivery and pick up and if I have to figure out someone to place the chairs for me or try to do it myself on my wedding day.  Will they look better and be more comfy? Yes but $500 and maybe more?
  • You asked for honestly. I hope you meant it.

If you can't afford $500 for chairs, why are you having such a big wedding. 250 people is a lot. If it was me, I would have invited less people so I would have had sufficient funds.
  • lemkenlemken member
    First Comment
    Well - had you had read the entire post - you would have seen that I was convinced very early on it didn't matter, and now with 8 days left, I feel like it does matter. It absolutely would have been in the budget had I saved for it originally, but since we didn't anticipate an additional $500 in our wedding budget, it was put towards other things. We could come up with $500 if we really needed to, but it would have to be a temporary borrow from the rents. Our large wedding is because we have massive families and parents that invited everyone - so there's not much we could have done about that, and we made it work.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_folding-chairs-honest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:3435b707-a88f-4412-88d8-12e4964e9cd9Post:9c320511-c45e-4ced-8910-0ddff344f4a9">Re: Folding Chairs - Be honest!</a>:
    [QUOTE]You asked for honestly. I hope you meant it. If you can't afford $500 for chairs, why are you having such a big wedding. 250 people is a lot. If it was me, I would have invited less people so I would have had sufficient funds.
    Posted by Lisa8888[/QUOTE]

Lisa:  that was pretty snotty and uncalled for.  She does have sufficient funds.  She's not shorting her guests on anything that matters:  food, drinks, etc.  She's not even shorting them on seating.  They'll have chairs to sit it.  She's merely questioning the wisdom of spending money to change to appearance of the chairs.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • $500 is a lot of money to come up with last minute.  Think about something you really really really want that costs $500.  Now, in a months time, are you going to be happy that you spent the money on the chairs, or would you rather have that new set of china that wasn't purchased off of your registry?
    Photobucket
  • lemkenlemken member
    First Comment
    Thanks trix1223, I was going to call her a snarkasaurus, but decided I shouldn't be petty :)

Anyways - I'm pretty bipolar on the subject.... we can get price down to $1.75 a chair, but that doesn't include set-up, etc... so it's another job that we have to make someone else do, and at this point it may be too late. My fiance has reminded me consistenly about all of the sweet things that can be done with $500 and that maybe I should drop it. We'll see how I feel on Monday. It's crazy how much your mind wanders a week before you wedding!! Maybe I'll just ask my photographer to avoid the prison chairs in her pictures as much as possible and I won't even remember having them!!

PS - no guest is getting short changed at our wedding, we have beautiful chairs at our ceremony too, it's just the reception that may look like a fancy prison. Open bar all night, tons of food, live music and dj, photo booth, dessert bar, etc. - these are the things that people will remember. It's going to be an awesome and fun wedding, regardless of what our guests are sitting on :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_folding-chairs-honest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:3435b707-a88f-4412-88d8-12e4964e9cd9Post:9c320511-c45e-4ced-8910-0ddff344f4a9">Re: Folding Chairs - Be honest!</a>:
    [QUOTE]You asked for honestly. I hope you meant it. If you can't afford $500 for chairs, why are you having such a big wedding. 250 people is a lot. If it was me, I would have invited less people so I would have had sufficient funds.

Seriously?  Because obviously what kind of chairs you have at your wedding are more important than the guests that are there.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.  No one is going to notice. We have brown folding chairs at our wedding and it was not a big deal at all.  You don't even notice them in the pictures.  Can you honestly say you remember what kind of chairs were at the last wedding you attended?

Do you value pretty chairs over the important people in your life?
    Photobucket
  • I wouldn't worry about it.  If it bothers you that much, try keeping the lighting a bit low.  But honestly, people don't really notice chairs, especially once the room is full.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Nobody will remember the chairs. They will remember how stunning and happy you and your husband were on the day you married one another...no worries and have a wonderful day!!
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Don't bother with the chairs - they don't really matter.  No one will even notice, or care.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_folding-chairs-honest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:3435b707-a88f-4412-88d8-12e4964e9cd9Post:e9ce77c0-2066-4d34-8fb7-261c838068b8">Re: Folding Chairs - Be honest!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folding Chairs - Be honest! : Lisa:  that was pretty snotty and uncalled for.  She does have sufficient funds.  She's not shorting her guests on anything that matters:  food, drinks, etc.  She's not even shorting them on seating.  They'll have chairs to sit it.  She's merely questioning the wisdom of spending money to change to appearance of the chairs.
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

The OP asked for honesty and I honestly replied.
  • I did read your entire post. You asked for honesty but apparently you didn't mean it.

"Everyone had convinced me from the beginning that the grey chairs are fine, no one would notice and that we shouldn't pay extra for nice chairs."

Apparently you were concerned about the grey chairs in the beginnning because you originally stated that everyone convinced you from the beginning.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_folding-chairs-honest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:3435b707-a88f-4412-88d8-12e4964e9cd9Post:f9a57707-bbd8-472c-aa12-221bee5b33f7">Re: Folding Chairs - Be honest!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folding Chairs - Be honest! : The OP asked for honesty and I honestly replied.

The honestly, Lisa would have been : I think grey folding chairs are fugly and I wouldn't use them.

The snotty was:  Why would you not budget for all your guests?  You shouldn't have invited so many people if you couldn't afford it. 

Because that wasn't at all the issue.  And it didn't make sense to make the leap that you did.
  • lemkenlemken member
    First Comment
    Lisa, if you have $500 to drop on random things like chairs a week before your wedding, you're a far better planner than I... and I would also assume that you must be more well off than me. Had I planned for it, it would have been there - but it was never in the plan until now. Like trix said, saying grey metal chairs are ugly and that I should try to find something different was the feedback I'm looking for... not that I don't know how to budget or treat my guests.
  • I've seen Lisa be a snotty brat on many a board. I'd just ignore her, hun. Chairs don't matter. When you look back on your wedding a year from now, you're not going to think "Gee I wish we had white chairs!". You're going to remember how much fun  you and your guests had and how happy you were.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards