Favors

What do you think...

Been struggling with an idea for favors, My Mom & Aunt came up with this - - I'd like some input from you girls!

2 white taper candles, tie them up pretty and put a cute, nice saying w/ it.  its simple, in expensive, and elegant !  i thought it was good.  could say smthg like---

as Axxx took Sxxx as his wife
Sxxx said, "You are the light of my life"!
May the light of your life always shine bright.
Your presence here has been such a delight
Thank you for being here and have a good nite .
Mr. & Mrs. XXXXX

Re: What do you think...

• edited December 2011
    I think it is an adorable idea! Cute, simple, inexpensive, and different!

Great idea, and cute poem!

~cmr4828
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, great idea! I also love the poem.
  • Brie2010Brie2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would have nothing to do with two taper candles.  I don't have any candlesticks in my house.  I'd "forget" them at the table.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't mind the candles, but the poem is really poorly written.  Leave that out, and I'd be okay with it.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • juliels53juliels53 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love it! That poem is cute! It's something different that I think everyone will appreciate!
    In story books marriage is a happy ending. In real life it's a happy beginning. Living my happy beginning since September 18, 2010! Planning Bio & Vendor Reviews
  • kmg977kmg977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    SOOOO CUTE!!! who cares that some ppl said they don't use candles lol....pretty most people have some candles around there house! Also the poem is prefect! GO for it, your guests will love it (and they will probably get used). 
  • S_A_FriedelS_A_Friedel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback!
    Re: the poem - my Mom said she threw it together off the top of her head, so if I do decide to use it, I would critique a bit.
    Also re: candles, IDK If I'd go with tapers, maybe a Yankee votive or something more for every-day use than tapers.

Thanks again though, I really do appreciate it :)
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    i don't like that idea. i would leave them because 1) i have no need for them 2) why would I want candles that have a poem about you and your husband?

i think that with favors if you feel you must do them then do something like food or drinks. people are going to appreciate that more than candles

• S_A_FriedelS_A_Friedel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like I previously mentioned, the poem is not ON the candles - its on the tag that I would tie aroundt he candle as part of the wrapping.
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I still don't like it. It sounds like a waste of money because people are going to just leave it there or just throw it away when they get home.

• janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're going to do candles, I would do something other than tapers.  Do something with a candle holder that they can burn it in.  I have two candlesticks in my house, but they are for decorations on my mantle and they keep the same candlesticks in them year round.  Taper candles would probably get left behind.  But if you really want to do tapers, you can get them pretty cheap at the Dollar Tree.
  • edited December 2011
    Love the poem, it's very sweet!

Here's a great link for candle favors: http://thefavorlounge.theaspenshops.com/category/candle-favors.html
  • edited December 2011
    We did something similar for my sister in laws shower for the favors. We used votive candles, made up a cute poem, and actually hot glued it to the candle and put rhinestones in each corner. Everyone LOVED them and this was about 4 years ago and I know for sure some people STILL have them as memories! Its a really cute idea and people will appreciate the thought put into it. Those who dont, oh well. Your wedding is not a reason to seek out a gift EVERY person who comes to your wedding will like. If they dont like it, they wont take it and youll have a few extras for keepsakes.
  • jensgf2010jensgf2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that is a great idea and so well written! :)
  • bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It's not a good idea.  Without candle holders, candles are pretty much useless.  I wouldn't do it.  Give something your guests can eat.
  • vanessah78vanessah78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my sister did something similar to this for her wedding.  She wrapped a box of matches in silver paper, and tied the candles to the match boxes with a little piece of ribbon.  It looked really nice, and went over really well.  and I don't think it was overyly expensive.  She got the candles at IKEA, at a really good deal (it was a bulk purchase)

I still have no idea what I'll do for favors, but I got a while yet to decide, we aren't getting married until 2012. 

good luck to all of you girls
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards