Getting in Shape

**Kwith

I read the mfp comment but it will not let me respond back.

Tell me more about the soy milk... I have always been to scared to try it but I love coffee and miss it.
For days like yesterday, I would have killed someone for the coffee but I knew I would be over cals because of dinner.
Is there a huge difference in taste? I drink 2% on cereal and use french vanilla creamer in my coffee normally.  

Getting Hitches 08/09/2014

Re: **Kwith

• Kwither you drink soy milk?!?! 
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  :(:( 

*sad face* 
    It's so bad for youuuuuu :( 

Oh, and Yeah Almond Milk runs between 40-60calories per cup. I drink unsweetened vanilla almond  milk (when I'm too lazy to make my own.. like right now :P ) and it's 40cal 
  • No please chime in...
    I am a chicken when it comes to trying new things so if someone can give me advice on how to sweeten my coffee so I can have some again, please chime in.

Its been 25 days without soda or coffee hence the having it again!!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_kwith?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:dafd7377-35cd-4612-aa76-f22c5e868454Post:a9102ab9-d6a5-4a9b-9616-62dc78e85a62">Re: **Kwith</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kwither you drink soy milk?!?!  noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  :( :(  *sad face*  It's so bad for youuuuuu :(  Oh, and Yeah Almond Milk runs between 40-60calories per cup. I drink unsweetened vanilla almond  milk (when I'm too lazy to make my own.. like right now :P ) and it's 40cal 
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I love me some almond milk.  

</div>
  • Firsttimer

Why is soy milk bad for you over almond milk?

What is the difference between the two... I honestly do not know!

• edited January 2013
    My reaction was similar to fisttimers. Unfermented soy is bad because it's estrogenic. Fermented soy (tempeh) is ok.
  • I'm not Firsttimer but it's probably the whole phytoestrogen debate and a mix of how a lot of soy is GMO (I still love my tofu and eat it ... organic tofu though).  The almond milk I buy is cheaper than soy milk.  I'm a cheapwad so that made my choice for me ;)
  • It's certainly a taste difference. I love the taste of soy milk. LOVE. I also love tofu. 

But soy is badnewsbears. 

People assume it's a health food because vegetarians turn to it, but soy is used as a perservative and is thrown into almost all fast foods as FILLER. Scientists are starting to think that soy is the culprit for the rise in cancer cases, as well as premature puberty in children. (not to mention that it's almonst impossible to find non-GMO soy in the United States)
    High in protein? You betcha. I wish it was a glorious health food, as it's a bit of a challenge to be vegan and avoid soy :P 
    People think that soy is such a big thing in asian culture, and they are all so healthy. They eat FERMENTED soy (think miso, some soy sauces), which is actually good for you. But they don't cram it into all burgers, breads, cheese, etc. 

There are soooo many reasons.. but this list keeps it short and easy to underrstand. 

Of course, like anything, it's fine in small quantities, and I certainly believe it's better for you than cow milk, but there are still better options (if you're not a picky eater) 
  • edited January 2013
    From personal experience aspect: 

My best friend has been a vegetarian since she was about 8 years old (she is 22 now). She has huge boobs and a badunkadunk (yeah. she looks amazing. Pretty much hate her guts ;) haha) but it came at a price. 
    Doctors have told her that ocurred because of her soy intake (She is a soy maniac and always has been, tofu at least one meal a day, soy sauce on everything, soy milk with her 5 cups of coffee a day, etc). and because of that, she now has a crap thyroid. She can adjust her diet now, but it's too late. It will be a struggle for her life. Once you mess with the thyroid, it's pretty much messed for life :/ 
    They worry that she may struggle with her fertility when she chooses to have children as a result of her high soy diet (and apparently this is also why she constantly gets UTIs). They also worry about her ending up with breast cancer because of it all (and science is slowly starting to point fingers at soy for breast cancer, since we eat it sooo much without realizing it and has become much more common now, as has breast cancer). 

She looks amazing, and that is a pro of her high soy diet, but it was a con for her brother, who has fatty tissue in his chest that he can work his butt off to get rid of.. it's not going anywhere. Thank you, soy. 

• edited January 2013
    Meh, I don't think you led anyone astray.  It really is with moderation.  Without looking at specific studies you don't know the quantities of soy, how long, actual "n" of the experiments/studies... the list goes on.  I mean, heck, EVERYTHING just about relates to cancer nowadays.  This is coming from someone who works in cancer research, not just trying to be contrary.  

ETA:  Kwith doesn't sound like a soy maniac to me.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_kwith?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:dafd7377-35cd-4612-aa76-f22c5e868454Post:b2579b0c-8353-48d5-86a5-e8fe6458fd9d">Re: **Kwith</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'll have to browse the information and see what I think.  I typically only use about a quarter cup a day in my coffee, so I'm not overly worried, but it's worth looking in to.  Thanks for the info, Firsttimers.  And nike, I apologize if I've led you astray with my soy milk recommendation.  Maybe under the circumstances check out almond milk instead? ETA:  firsttimers, between yesterday's bananas incident and today's soy milk, you and I are on the outs food wise this week.  We need to work on that.
    Posted by kwitherington[/QUOTE]

<div>bahahaha I know.. I was just thinking that. </div><div>"...dammit.. she is going to hate me ... " </div><div>
    </div><div>I would say that if that's all your having, you're in the clear.. As long as you're aware that any fast food, tv dinners, etc that you eat are stuffed with soy. It's really just something to be aware of. And if you're sticking to organic/nonGMO then you're doing even better. </div><div>
    </div><div>I don't think you led her astray, as I think anything that's not cow's milk is the better choice, And I think soy creamer or almond creamer is a great way, nike, to kick yourself off the dairy creamer. </div>
  • This is all very interesting.... I am going to try both and see which one I like I guess. All I want it for is coffee in the morning. I didnt mean to start this huge debate!!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_kwith?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:dafd7377-35cd-4612-aa76-f22c5e868454Post:a4e15f70-7c90-4aa3-bede-c3d140d47151">Re: **Kwith</a>:
    [QUOTE]Meh, I don't think you led anyone astray.  It really is with moderation.  Without looking at specific studies you don't know the quantities of soy, how long, actual "n" of the experiments/studies... the list goes on.  I mean, heck, EVERYTHING just about relates to cancer nowadays.  This is coming from someone who works in cancer research, not just trying to be contrary.   ETA:  Kwith doesn't sound like a soy maniac to me.  
    Posted by lbarr088[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Yeah, agreed. (and btw I'm envious of your cancer research... My dream job would be stem cell research or anything at the CDC in Atl. :) ) </div><div>I think all we can do is be informed and try to make the best choices to keep a balanced diet. </div><div>
    </div><div>I'm really not one to talk. </div><div>I love lay's chips :o) bahaha</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_kwith?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:dafd7377-35cd-4612-aa76-f22c5e868454Post:0f9e7ae8-6aaa-4138-b4f2-28d80e385bca">Re: **Kwith</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is all very interesting.... I am going to try both and see which one I like I guess. All I want it for is coffee in the morning. I didnt mean to start this huge debate!!
    Posted by nikegrl688[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>haha you'll have to let us know what you think between the two. I would choose soy over almond as far as creamy/taste goes so I won't be surprised if you feel the same. </div><div>
    </div><div>It's a good health/fitness topic :) </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_kwith?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:dafd7377-35cd-4612-aa76-f22c5e868454Post:a0125b97-962a-4417-b37c-5559d692ab9c">Re: **Kwith</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: **Kwith : Yeah, agreed. (and btw I'm envious of your cancer research... My dream job would be stem cell research or anything at the CDC in Atl. :) )  <strong>I think all we can do is be informed and try to make the best choices to keep a balanced diet.</strong>  I'm really not one to talk.  I love lay's chips :o) bahaha
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

<div>I completely agree with this.</div><div>
    </div><div>Also, don't be too envious.  Cancer research isn't such a glorious job as one would think!</div><div>
    </div><div>I like having conversations like this.  I don't necessarily think of it as a debate.  I think it's good to throw a bunch of opinions out there, then research for yourself and come up with works best for you.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_kwith?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:dafd7377-35cd-4612-aa76-f22c5e868454Post:99565168-457b-4c18-bf1a-126b9349f995">Re: **Kwith</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's certainly a taste difference. I love the taste of soy milk. LOVE. I also love tofu.  But soy is badnewsbears.  People assume it's a health food because vegetarians turn to it, but soy is used as a perservative and is thrown into almost all fast foods as FILLER. Scientists are starting to think that soy is the culprit for the rise in cancer cases, as well as premature puberty in children. (not to mention that it's almonst impossible to find non-GMO soy in the United States) High in protein? You betcha. I wish it was a glorious health food, as it's a bit of a challenge to be vegan and avoid soy :P  People think that soy is such a big thing in asian culture, and they are all so healthy. They eat FERMENTED soy (think miso, some soy sauces), which is actually good for you. But they don't cram it into all burgers, breads, cheese, etc.  There are soooo many reasons.. but this list keeps it short and easy to underrstand.  <a href="http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/170-scientific-reasons-to-lose-the-soy-in-your-diet/" rel="nofollow">http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/170-scientific-reasons-to-lose-the-soy-in-your-diet/</a> Of course, like anything, it's fine in small quantities, and I certainly believe it's better for you than cow milk, but there are still better options (if you're not a picky eater) 
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

I'm not a regular on the GIS board but I decided to be nosey and peek in here.

Thank you so much for your post. I was recently diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and my Dr. said Soy is definitely not for me. She gave me literature that was so confusing but your link and post kinda sums it all up.

A friend of mine is trying to get me to start ViSalus shakes but I'm skeptical about meal replacement shakes and I'm not convinced they're not Soy Protein.
  • I have tried both soy and almond milk.  I can't really taste a difference.  Honestly they both taste gross to me.  To be fair, I think cow milk tastes even worse than soy and almond milk.  Ugh, I'm grossed out just thinking about the taste. 

I use soy milk on my cereal (I'm lactose intolerant), but that is about it.  FI is a big milk drinker and he likes the soy milk, but hates almond milk.  So that is our input. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_kwith?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:dafd7377-35cd-4612-aa76-f22c5e868454Post:2def2270-680a-41d6-93a0-9769a3c3ce2b">Re: **Kwith</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: **Kwith : I'm not a regular on the GIS board but I decided to be nosey and peek in here. Thank you so much for your post. I was recently diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and my Dr. said Soy is definitely not for me. She gave me literature that was so confusing but your link and post kinda sums it all up. A friend of mine is trying to get me to start ViSalus shakes but <strong>I'm skeptical about meal replacement shakes</strong> and I'm not convinced they're not Soy Protein.
    Posted by mcda04[/QUOTE]

<div>You should be.  Have you seen how many calories are in those?  Squat diddly.  You cannot replace a "meal" with such few calories.  No bueno.  If you find out more about the ingredients and do decide to use it... have it be a snack.  </div>
  • edited January 2013
    I can't do half and half.  My belly would hate me at even a splash.  I mean, I've done it but when I'm in the comfort of my own home ;)

ETA:  I also believe that the calories they were giving were for a cup of the milk.  I'm sure just a splash of soy/almond milk would be about the same as half and half calorie wise if not a teeny bit less.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_kwith?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:dafd7377-35cd-4612-aa76-f22c5e868454Post:655f63e7-f4a3-44a8-959b-a3788ddc5e58">Re: **Kwith</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: **Kwith : You should be.  Have you seen how many calories are in those?  Squat diddly.  You cannot replace a "meal" with such few calories.  No bueno.  If you find out more about the ingredients and do decide to use it... have it be a snack.  
    Posted by lbarr088[/QUOTE]

A year ago, my co-worker invited me to "lunch" with her. She said she was taking some shakes that supressed your appetite and they gave you tea and an Aloe shot and it was great. I decide to give it a try and when we walked in, realized it was an Herbalife distributing center type thing, I didn't want to fall for it, but I did. After two weeks of doing lunch shakes, I didn't lose an ounce and I was starving myself. The consultant tells me "Oh it's because you have to do two shakes instead of one" mind you, I only wanted to lose 10-15 Lbs, which I knew I could lose with diet and exercise. I asked her how many calories were in these shakes (they prepared them with fruit and protein) and she says, Roughly 200 but definitely less. I told her this was very little and I'd gain it right back within a months time. Her response "that's the thing, you shouldn't stop taking them". That did it for me, I never went back.

Even if I made myself a grilled chicken breast with vegetables for dinner which is very healthy; I'd be consuming about 300 calories. No wonder people have to be on this those things for the rest of their lives.

The Visalus my friends want me to try is supposed to be a "different" concept. but I'm not trusting anything they can't give me answers on. Apparantly, I have to go to a "Challenge Meeting" to find out more. Yeah. No Thanks.
  • It would be because of how awesome you are!!!

Thank you all... I will be taste testing this weekend and fill you in on monday

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards