North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

Hiring vendors through the grapevine - catering thoughts

Long time no see! School has been crazy and because of that, wedding planning has taken a VERY distant backseat. With that said, I won't be able to leave my class in November as I had originally hoped. Basically (and VERY nervously) I may have to hire a caterer without ever trying the food or meeting them. ***Chewing half of my nails off just thinking about it.****

So, I need some serious recommendations. I want to hear them - the good, the bad, and the ugly. Who can I trust, and who should I not even bother calling? What are your catering thoughts?

Thanks so much! :)

Re: Hiring vendors through the grapevine - catering thoughts

• Options
    delilahjzdelilahjz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually did the same thing.  I hired a caterer, well actually just put down a deposit, just by recommendations and their sample menus.  To be honest what tips the scales for me is how they communicate.  If you are polite and kind to them, I expect the same with prompt responses.  That is what we got with our caterer.  We have not picked a menu yet, but I gave them a budget and a few things my FI and I both like and she sent 3 or 4 sample menus to me.  I really appreciate people who go above and beyond in their work, because I like to believe I do the same in mine.  After that you just have to have faith and I am sure it will be great.  Oh we went with Black Pelican as Emily has been so good to me and my mom!  So I highly recommend :)  Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We've met with a bunch of caterers and only 1 actually fed us, so I don't think you really have to do a tasting with them to make a good decision. Honestly, all of the major caterers/restaurants down there have amazing food. I think any of the girls/guy on here would tell you that the caterer they picked is amazing, so you shouldn't worry too much about that. I agree with PP, communication is a MAJOR big deal. That's the main reason why we haven't decided on our caterer yet.
    We met with Black Pelican (PP is right - Emily was awesome! but the menu wasn't exactly what we were looking for, so we're not going with them), Red Sky (they fed us - food was to. die. for. and so easy to work with!), and 1587 in Manteo (maaaajor communication problems). We are going to OBX this weekend to meet with Lone Cedar Cafe and 1587 again (mainly for me to b*tch her out about how awful she is at communicating with me and to let her give us a reason why to choose her... I know I'm bad but she needs to know the truth!). I've eaten at Lone Cedar and their food is great. Also, all of the local people we met when we went down in the summer (Inn owners, our planners, etc.) ALL recommended Lone Cedar...so we'll see. All of the prices per person we got were pretty much the same, but some charge weird fees that don't really make sense...like an event fee, gratuity + labor, etc. Rediculous!
    Anyway, hope this helped! And after our trip we'll hopefully have a decision made and will let everyone know how all the meetings went. I really think you'll be fine choosing a caterer without meeting them face to face or trying their food. It's OBX - you can't go wrong! =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jendem8jendem8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are going to meet with Ortegaz next weekend.  From my communication with Lisa so far, she is really sweet.  We are also looking at Argyles - the food is really, really good.  So, we're between the two at the moment.  Ortegaz is definitely willing to work with your budget, and they have an extensive menu.  I can give you more information after we meet with her on the 21st.  I didn't choose Black Pelican because I think it's ridiculous that they won't do a tasting until you pay them.  But if you've eaten there before and like it and you're unable to have a tasting, then it's not a big deal.
    image June 22, 2012
  • Options
    JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If I was in your position when booking myself and did not have a chance to go down to meet with everyone, I would likely book Red Sky.  I think they are the most popular and from every single review, everyone is always raving about them.  Eric is super awesome as well.  I have never read, heard or seen one slightly negative thing about them.  I can vouch firsthand for the quality of the food, and Eric and head chief, Wes are awesome in my meeting.  Lots of the girls have used them and can add more. 

I feel in love with Ortega'z and that is who we ended up booking mainly due to the fact we LOVE southwest and they are directly next the the Budleigh, our venue.  But I don't think you can go wrong with Red Sky for any tastes. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I HIGHLY recommend Lone Cedar Cafe. Amy is very easy to work with, and will help you choose items that will fit within your budget. She also has an assistant, so one of them will answer your email within a day. The food is fanitastic! I am still getting compliments via facebook and phone calls on how awesome the food was. We set up an appointment to meet with Amy and they have a sampler for you to taste (sorry you will miss it!).  She sat with us while we decided on which apps to get based on the per person amount for each.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We booked our caterer without trying them yet.  We are using Red Sky. We are hoping to meet with them in November, if not then, another time.  We booked with the person who was most responsive to the emails I sent.  Also their are specific things I want on the menu and they were very accomodating and added their own thoughts and ideas to make the menu better, which the other caterers I talked with really did not.  In fact I have not met with them yet and so far I am most excited about the food than any other part of the wedding so far (except for the marrying my best freind part!) :)  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We also booked with Ortega'z.  We were most impressed by the combination of their responsiveness, delicious food, and they were just good people.  Also, its right next to the Budleigh where our reception is.  We also met with Argyles and adored their food.  I love Argyles' cakes.  We are going with them for the cake absolutely.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    rebecca2929rebecca2929 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We booked Red Sky and didn't have a tasting either.  I went with the caterer that was easiest to talk to and responded quickly.  Eric was great to work with and super helpful.  I gave him my budget and he was able to work within it.  The food was amazing and we had guests complimenting them all day.  I talked with several caterers out there and some of them took forever to respond and some of them never responded at all.  I think some of them have been catering so long that they look at it as just another cookie cutter wedding but Red Sky gives you the personalization that you're looking for.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I can tell you that even though the food at Coastal Provisions Catering in Duck was outstanding and we had rave reviews from our guest, I would not recommend them based solely on their coordinator Nina's, severe lack of returning phone calls in a timely manner.  While I understand that there are hundreds of brides to deal with through the wedding season, I am only paying for MY wedding and am only concerned about MY food choices, not anyone else's.  I say this b.c that is an excuse that Nina used everytime we didn't hear back from her for 2-3 weeks....and these were major questions we had that affected our invitations being sent out in time b/c this was a served dinner and we had to include menu cards with the invites.  We also are going back n forth with her right now b/c none of our guests were even aware there was tea, lemondade and sodas to drink b/c no one bothered asking them and only 8 people had coffee b/c the servers again, never asked.  When the coffee was brought our for those 8 people, they didn't even bring them on the saucers that we had rented.  We were very specific in making sure that they would ask each table and they didn't.  We had so many unused glasses that the rental company called us the following Monday to make sure that THEY didn't make an error on the order form b/c more than 3/4 of them were still in the rack and perfectly spotless.

Needless to say, either Nina needs an assistant or maybe they shouldn't take on more than they can handle b/c it was very frustrating throughout the entire planning process, that we didn't hear back from her for 2-3 weeks at a time and had to call the owner to get through to her. 

On a more positive note, I have heard fab reviews of Red Sky & Ortegaz during the past year or so that I have been on the board :)

• Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

Ohhh and I've missed you btw!!!  :)

• Options
    edited December 2011

It sounds like everyone has already said it . . . but I will also vouch for Red Sky.  We used them for rehearsal and reception.  We have used them another half dozen times for other functions when we have been down on the outer banks for our family vacations also.  Most weddings I have been too the food is the last thing anyone remembers.  My guest still talk in detail about the food they had at our wedding.  You will be satisfied with Wes & Cindy (owners) and Eric (coordinator)  And if you are looking for a planner or day of coordinator, you should get to know Eric's wife.  Nannett from The Proper Setting.  Next to the food, she made my wedding day easy.

• Options
    jendem8jendem8 member
    edited December 2011
    Has anyone used Kelly's or looked seriously at them?
    image June 22, 2012
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I've eaten at Kelly's and it was really good! That's all my experience w/them tho...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jendem8jendem8 member
    edited December 2011
    Same... I think we're going to meet with them when we go down in 2 weeks.
    image June 22, 2012
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We booked our caterer blind too because we didn't have enough time to fly into NC and do tastings and meetings.  We used Red Sky Cafe and I highly recommend them.  Planning a wedding all the way from Colorado in 4 months, communication was important.  I totally got that from Eric.  But, first I looked around and read lots of reviews, and took lots of notes on EVERYTHING.  Planning a wedding myself is so overwhelming, I had to.  But, I ended up with lots of resources and tips. We didn't know about, and missed, the OBX Wedding Expo, but I requested the magazine. Lots of the featured weddings and event properties used Red Sky too.  The menu was interesting and good food was really important to me if people were traveling a long distance to come.  I'll have to say they were real pros and it gave me a chance to really relax and enjoy my reception.  (That and the Ocean Blue Lemonade cocktails they were making me.)  HTH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I ate at kelly's when I was down there last June and the food was really good, but kind of forgettable if you know what I mean.  The restaurant itself was very old and dingy looking which I work in a restaurant and worked for a caterer for 10 years and something about that turns me off.  However, the food at Red Sky and Black Pelican were absolutely delicious!!  We didn't plan any tastings or meet with the caterer for any of the places because I wanted to see how I was served dinner and how the staff were towards us without knowing we were trying to book a wedding.  I will most likely go with Red Sky for our wedding, although I have to get in touch with Ortega'z.  Good Luck!!
  • Options
    jendem8jendem8 member
    edited December 2011
    I ate at Kelly's once and they went above and beyond for me because I am vegetarian and wasn't finding much on their menu... the owner even brought out free samples of grits since I had never tried grits before.  Red Sky was very nice to deal with over email, but I think their prices are a bit high - they also never asked about my budget or offered alternatives.  I probably won't meet with them (though I know that most brides on here rave about them).  Ortegaz has by far been the most responsive/friendliest, so I'm most excited to talk to them in person. 
    image June 22, 2012
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out the Outer Banks Wedding Association. They have a ton of awesome vendors and have been a big help for brides!
    http://www.outerbanksweddingassoc.org/

C
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_hiring-vendors-through-grapevine-catering-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:0aa07a9b-e77e-4add-91a3-12082ee49620Post:d53a6ae8-a0fb-4b20-8eab-a6108ae7cda5">Re: Hiring vendors through the grapevine - catering thoughts</a>:
    [QUOTE]You have got to call 11th Hour Events and talk to Rachel! She is wonderful and will give you honest advice. She is a great wedding coordinator! They have 2 reception locations on Roanoke Island and they do "all inclusive" weddings.  They can also work with your budget and travel to you and do the wedding at your location of choice.  We were so happy to use them for our wedding. The food is AMAZING! Her number is 252-473-5000 11thhourevents.com
    Posted by rkirby236[/QUOTE]

Please don't spam our boards.  While we appreciate recommendations and advice, vendors are not allowed to post here.  Thanks.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We hired Red Sky blind. Awesome! Such a wide variety of food, everything was awesome! We're still eating leftovers! Everyone is still talkin about how awesome it was! Def get the pork spring rolls, ribs, and stuffed chicken! My fave! Any questions just ask! We just got married! Oh also, the artichoke dip that is included is amaaaazing!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, it's been a few days since I've been on here gals. Thanks so much for all the thoughts. I think we're down to Red Sky and Ortegaz. Now if only I could make up my mind, darn it!!! :) 

I know I haven't been on here much at all lately, but I wanted to make sure that I wished all of you congrats! So many of you have become a Mrs since we last talked. YAY!!!!!!!

Hugs and Squishes <3
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_hiring-vendors-through-grapevine-catering-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:0aa07a9b-e77e-4add-91a3-12082ee49620Post:fa35311a-c8a7-4658-88b2-4d0def6945bf">Re: Hiring vendors through the grapevine - catering thoughts</a>:
    [QUOTE] Hugs and Squishes <3
    Posted by TeachLibrary[/QUOTE]

OMG Teach! You're adorable.  <3 it!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Has anyone used Good Life Gourmet? They were very responsive to me but that's the first one I've looked at.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've heard they have great food from someone who goes to OBX often, but I don't know how they are in their catering capabilities.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    okay thanks!  the pictures look good on the website... but I'm glad I found this message board because otherwise I feel like I'd be planning my entire wedding based on pictures on a website :)
  • Options
    seashells12seashells12 member
    edited December 2011
    Jendtennis...we are using Good Life Gourmet for my daughter's in June. We met with Steve twice when we where in OBX in August. First meeting was almost a two hour meeting. He is very thorough and goes through the entire wedding day with you. He also had some great ideas to add "wow" factors to the reception. The second meeting later in the week was a tasting! It was outstanding! Food is delicious! Going into our first appointment my daughter thought she really wanted an other popular OBX caterer but after meeting with Steve she absolutely loves Good Life Gourmet!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks seashells12.. that's great info.  i'm glad to hear it because i was very impressed with just my first conversation with Steve too.  He IS very thorough and I'm looking forward to working with him!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I met a few of my Vendors at the Good Life Gourmet on my planning trip.  The owner asked if I needed a caterer, but we had already chosen Ortega'z.  Loved their breakfast though!  Delish!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    funny! we are going there for breakfast on our planning trip this weekend :)  their catering quote to me seemed good and although i haven't compared it to other companies yet it seems like a fair price to me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    One thing to consider is check with them on extra fees.  Make sure the quote you got is the bottom line.  All caterers add taxes and gratuity.  Some have cake cutting fees.  Some have "event fees" (I'm not sure the need for this as who uses a caterer for something thats not an "event"? - ridiculous!)  Some include plates, napkins, silverware, barware and some don't.  These are all very important questions to ask :)  Good luck on your trip this weekend!  That is SO much fun!  Stop by Argyles for a piece of cake. haha! I'm sure everyone is so sick of me saying that but I am SERIOUSLY jonesin' for that cake!  Especially with the efforts to lose weight for a dress...haha!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards