Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Curious about your photo packages

Hi everyone-
I'm just starting to navigate the world of photography- which is more complicated than I realized. I haven't been able to determine yet what industry standards are (waiting on responses) so I thought I'd ask you about your experiences. A few questions, if anyone would be willing to give pointers?

Did you buy copyright and if you did, were you allowed to:
1) Share on/submit to wedding blogs, share on your own blog and post on Facebook?
2) Edit your photos as you saw fit (cropping, photoshopping out crows feet/a spot on his suit/that beach chair in the background, etc., changing the color/contrast)?
Did your photographer indicate he/she would seek permission before selling photos of you to others?

Did you get hi/lo res photos or just one or the other, and if so, did you get all of them?
How long was your engagement shoot? Did you have any prints/editing/ included?
Did you get an album? Was having an album important to you?
Did your cancellation policy allow for full refund at any point? Any special considerations for death of bride or groom (I know, grim)?
What was your postponement policy (i.e. due to region-wide weather emergency)?
Did you just say the hell with negotiating any of that and just get wedding insurance?
What percentage did you put down for deposit?

I'm certainly not asking anyone to go through and answer all that- just any feedback is helpful. Thanks so much!

Re: Curious about your photo packages

• Did you buy copyright and if you did, were you allowed to:  Yes.
    1) Share on/submit to wedding blogs, share on your own blog and post on Facebook?
    Anything I posted on the internet (FB, TK, etc.) had to be the ones with my photographer's watermark.
    2) Edit your photos as you saw fit (cropping, photoshopping out crows feet/a spot on his suit/that beach chair in the background, etc., changing the color/contrast)?  I certainly could have but it wasn't necessary as she did all of that for me.
    Did your photographer indicate he/she would seek permission before selling photos of you to others?  No.  The photographer owns the images and all rights and can do with them what they wish.
    Did you get hi/lo res photos or just one or the other, and if so, did you get all of them?  Hi res of all my images (800+)
    How long was your engagement shoot? Did you have any prints/editing/ included? 2 hours and I got a DVD of all of my images, which were edited
    Did you get an album? Was having an album important to you? Yes, and yes.
    Did your cancellation policy allow for full refund at any point? No.
    Any special considerations for death of bride or groom (I know, grim)?  No.
    What was your postponement policy (i.e. due to region-wide weather emergency)? N/A
    What percentage did you put down for deposit? 25%, nonrefundable
  • Thanks for the feedback. It will help going forward.
  • I got printing rights but not copyrights with my photos. I believe that's how most photogs do it- you can print the pictures, but you can't claim them as your own or change them. 

I posted mine on facebook, plan on entering into contests if I find any(but give credit to the photog) and posted them on my wedding bio.

I got low res files for online, and my CD is coming with high res files.

Our engagement shoot was about 2 hours, and we got all the images with printing rights on a CD. As a bonus, the photog gave us one print on canvas. 

We took the engagement picture album out of our package, but will be getting a wedding album. It wasn't important to me at the time, because I thought I could make one online for a lot cheaper, but I think I undersatnd the quality better now and I'm glad we're going to have one.

I went through our contact and made sure there were allowences for Godly events, but I don't remember if we could get our deposit back.

We paid the total in 6 payments, so we put down 1/6th of the bill.
  • If you have a good photographer you should get rights to your photos. We are using Fotografie Atlanta. We just did our engagement session and they turned out amazing! We had a sneak peak on facebook within 2 days. < They only do this with your permission. I got a cd with all my pictures and even some prints included. They included a photo release at no charge. I think it is dumb to have to pay for a photo release. I am so happy with Fotografie Atlanta's work!

If you want to check them out here is the site... www.fotografieatlanta.com

Good luck and I hope your day turns out amazing!
  • Did you buy copyright and if you did, were you allowed to: Copyright was included in the package
    1) Share on/submit to wedding blogs, share on your own blog and post on Facebook? Yes
    2) Edit your photos as you saw fit (cropping, photoshopping out crows feet/a spot on his suit/that beach chair in the background, etc., changing the color/contrast)?
    Did your photographer indicate he/she would seek permission before selling photos of you to others? Yes

Did you get hi/lo res photos or just one or the other, and if so, did you get all of them?
    For the engagement shoot you get a CD that will print 4x6 images. For the wedding we get a CD that will be hi res and yes we get all of them for both.
    How long was your engagement shoot? Did you have any prints/editing/ included?
    It took 2.5 hours. However, it started raining in the middle of the shoot so we had to take cover for about 30-40min. Editing is included and we had to choice to use some of our $100 print credit towards prints.
    Did you get an album? Was having an album important to you?
    No, we get a $100 print credit but we will use those towards enlargements. Since we get the printing rights to all our pictures we will outsource the album to Shutterfly or other printing company which will come out much cheaper than having the photographer do it. I'd like an album but it's not at the top of my priority list.
    Did your cancellation policy allow for full refund at any point? Any special considerations for death of bride or groom (I know, grim)?
    If he gets sick and cannot shoot we have a choice between a substitute photog or full refund. If we had to cancel for any reason it was full refund minus deposit
    What percentage did you put down for deposit?
    About 35%
    "Love is like a butterfly; It goes where it pleases and pleases where it goes" David & Roxy March 2, 2013 Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards