Maryland-Baltimore

My Silver Swan Bayside Ladies....

Have you been having major issues with them? Or is it just me?

I was schedule for my tasting in Jan. I was called the week of my tasting and told Taylor was no longer working there. Ok.. no biggie I like Amelia and she was who I was originally working with.

Move on to February I emailed and called about a million times to try to re-schedule my tasting. Finally I have a date of March 12th.

Last week I was called @ 4pm and told it was a whole new chef and management team. And that my menu would be honored but she would like me to look at the new menu.. No I have had my menu set since Oct. I have alot of vegans and veg coming so I made sure everyone was happy.

Now I just got my new bill...and it went up almost 4k!!!

Oh and now she wants to yet again change my tasting day. I get married in 67 days and haven't even picked out anything there.

I am majorly stressing out over this!!!

Till Baby E Money Comes! BabyFruit Ticker pregnancy Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: My Silver Swan Bayside Ladies....

• seralee5804seralee5804 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And hopefully did not just make my self sounds like a crazy person. I am just STRESSED!
    Till Baby E Money Comes! BabyFruit Ticker pregnancy Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • mybooboosmybooboos member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG - I was just about to post about this as well. 

I received an email from Amelia in January, tellimg me about Taylor's "demise",  No big deal there.

I was supposed to have my tasting in January, but was told the kitchen was being redone, and tastings would be rescheduled in March.

Today, my WP heard from Amelia, who said:
    * There is a new chef (since the October cocktail tasting we attended)
    * They are changing the contracts for all brides, adding a 20% gratuity charge, since it wasn't added on the original one.
    * If I want to attend my tasting on the 25th, I have to agree to the addtional 20% charge.
    * Due to poaching issues in the Chesapeake, there is a moratorium on Rockfish - which is part of my dual plate entree, and it may not be available in time for my wedding (July).  I truly believe this will not be an issue by the time July rolls around.

My questions were:
    * Why is there a new chef? (There was a mgmt change and they wanted new blood, which is what happened to Taylor as well).
    * Are brides that are getting married in less than a month, have to pony up the 20%? (I was told yes)
    * Why wasn't the gratuity added to begin with, like with limo companies? (Taylor's error)
    * What if you don't believe the service you received was worthy of 20%? (They are willing to work with me on this).
    * How do I have a tasting of my dual plate entree, if half of the entree is missing?
    (no answer on that one yet).

I had planned to bring an envelope with my 20% tip, so the amount is not the issue for me (the Rockfish issue has me way more stressed).  What I'm not happy with is the way this was handled, and the strong armed approached of "pay up or else".

Thanks for listening to my rant.  Keep me posted on how you end up handling your situation with them.
    Presentation is everything!! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank You!! I thought I was the only one!!!!!

I will make sure I tell you about the tasting and how everything goes.

My FMIL was going home last night and looking over what she has already signed. (She was pretty ticked and told Amelia how tacky this is LOL)

PS. I was thinking this might be why Taylor "left:- (The last one)

http://www.weddingwire.com/reviews/silver-swan-bayside-stevensville/579f7a3495688dc0.html

I read that and was lk OH MY GOSH! What did I sign up for
  • edited December 2011
    im sorry that youre going through all of this...sounds horrible. You might want to make other arrangements if possible...if they are this disorganized outside of the wedding...imagine how they will be for your event. Hope for the best for you!!
    More than words.....
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!!

I only have lk 65 days to go, so I am stuck.

So hopefully it turns around.  My FMIL is waiting for the new manger to call her..

Fingers Crossed!
  • edited December 2011
    AAK!  FI and I met with Amelia in January (after the post you ladies put about Taylor not being there anymore), and after we left, I felt very comfortable with things.  Now you have me worried.  Amelia made no mention of the 20% gratuity, and I don't think it's fair for them to tack on other fees after we've already signed.

Our wedding is still a little more than a year away, but I'm afraid of what could happen between now and then,  Hopefully, they'll have everything sorted out by then.  Looking for another venue is not an option for us at this point.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

edited December 2011
    Hang in there Seralee!  At this late date, make sure you get the experience that you were expecting, and have paid for.

We've asked to have a meeting with the management prior to our tasting this month.  It is customary for a business to extend the offer to discuss any price increases directly with the client, and to offer to sit down with them to ensure that all their concerns have been addressed - not do so via an email.

Both my FI and I felt that them conveying, "sign the new contract prior to the tasting" was not practicing great customer service.  Maybe they just don't know any better.  Maybe Amelia is swamped with stuff since Taylor's demise, and the new mgmt is throwing things at her.  I'm sure it's not easy for her to be the bearer of bad news.  BUT, that doesn't excuse making a client feel under appreciated. 

I was told that due to their recent renovations, they are booked solid for all of 2011 and most of 2012.  I hope this new found fame doesn't go to their head, to the point where they no longer value their clients.  My issue was not the increase in funds, since we were going to provide a tip anyway. It's the manner in which it's been handled.

I'll see how I'm treated when I meet with them later this month.  I need some "warm fuzzies" from them at this point.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree! It has nothing to do with the money (20%), just the way they handled this whole situation. If they had been honest upfront I don't think it would have a been such a big deal. But to tell us bits and pieces ..Idk and my price in food went up almost $20 bucks. Amelia said Taylor sent us a new copy of how much the food went up when we picked our new menu.. (I don't know how going from Steak/ Crab Cake to a Short rib / crab cake was $20 bucks? Steak should be more...) So as of yesterday they lowered the price per person like $10. Still not the point!

As of yesterday Scott the new manger had not called my FMIL back, she wanted to also have a meeting with him. 

Ahh is this wedding over yet? I am ready for the honeymoon!! LOL Tongue out
  • edited December 2011
    Hello,

I am having my wedding at the Silver Swan on April 16th. I just want to calm everyone down a little bit. I was in the same boat of having my tasting rescheduled twice and then them hiring a new chef after I had already tasted the food with the previous chef...so I was a little frustrated too. We had our tasting this past weekend and I want to say that I am 100 times more excited than I was before! The new chef is amazing! His food is a lot better than the previous chef and he is willing to accomodate to your needs and he tries to work your theme into the food! And Amelia is amazing as well. To be honest, I'm glad Taylor is gone, she was difficult to get a hold of. Amelia is very quick with responses and is willing to do what it takes to make your day special.

When Amelia first told me about the 20% gratuity added onto the contract, I was a little upset too. But after she explained it to me and talking to my parents about it, it's actually a good thing. If you think about it, you are supposed to tip the staff at the end of the night anyways. Now this way, it's already included. So at the end of the night you don't have to worry about it.

And with the rockfish, yes it is a dissapointment. We had it on our menu too. But this is no fault of the Silver Swan. They have banned catching rockfish everywhere in Maryland. So no one can get it. It sucks, but there is nothing you can do. We tasted the tilapia instead and it was really good, but in the end we decided to upgrade to the sea bass, which is phenomenal!

So anyways, I hope this puts everyone at ease a little bit. If you have concerns, I definitely suggest voicing them to Amelia, she'll work with you to make you feel more at ease.

But the new chef is wonderful, Amelia is wonderful and overall I am so happy with this venue! I think it is going to be the wedding I always dreamed of! I cannot wait for the big day! 43 days!!! :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    @Magpipes - I'm glad everything worked out for you.  I'm sure your day next month (yikes!) will be everything you dreamed of.

I still debate the issue over the Rockfish, since most of the other restaurants on Kent Island are selling Rockfish (at least they were last weekend).  We weren't sure why others can get it and they cannot.  We'll see what happens, and hopefully works out for me as well.
  • TheillTheill member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Magpipes,
    First of all congrats.  Now that you have completed your experience with the Silver Swan, is there any advice you can give us future Silver Swan Brides?  Despite all the changes going on, did everything go great?  Can the future brides calm down a bit?  Or are there things you would recommend we approach differently/be prepared for?  Any insight you can provide is appreciated.  Hopefully its all positive, for your sake and ours!
  • msjamiedoodymsjamiedoody member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So hopefully things will get better...however Amelia is now gone.  And no one bothered to call/email to let me know.  Now granted my wedding isn't until Sept, but my tasting has been cancelled 2x as well as the owner is somehow unable to give me copies of my planning session.  I'm attempting to plan from CA, and it's getting to be beyond difficult to even get straight answers out of any one. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards