Wedding Etiquette Forum

Did you wear heels on your wedding day?

I'm curious if people who don't usually wear heels chose to do so for the wedding, and how it went. I don't usually wear them because I've never found a pair that was comfortable for more than 30 minutes. Any stories/ideas?

Re: Did you wear heels on your wedding day?

• I wore a short heel so I wouldn't be taller than H. I got them from steponedanceshoes.com, they were pricey, but I honestly didn't feel them at all all night. They were so comfortable.
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I did for the ceremony and for photos, and then promptly changed into flipflops. I hate heels.
  • I wear heels every day, so I guess I'm not much help.  My suggestion would be nothing more than 2" and a wider heel rather than a skinny one if you want to go with heels.  Oh, and definitely get some gel inserts if possible (I'm always gellin').

Why not just go with a cute pair of flats?  I've heard of plenty of brides who did that.

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • ok - related question - Nebb - did you find yourself tripping over your hem because it was hemmed for your heels?  I guess it depends on what kind of dress you have.  I bought some really expensive Cole Haan shoes with Nike Air technology and hated wearing them during my fitting.  I will be wearing flippies at the reception for sure.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    There are comfortable heels to be found.  I was playing with the idea of getting ballroom dancing shoes or character shoes because I know I can stay in those for hours without problem.  But I also just got 3 inch platform high heels in white that are very comfortable so I can switch if needed during the reception and not have my dress drag on the floor.
  • I wore short heels; no more than 2-3inches, if I remember correctly. I wish I would have worn them in advance to break them in---as comfy as they were, I still got blisters. So, if you wear new shoes---bring bandaids with you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • hell yes, i did. i love heels, but mine weren't that comfortable. i wish i would have gotten the dr. scholls inserts- i hear they work well
  • leaynleayn member
    First Comment

i NEVER wear heels....i'm just not that kind of girl.  i am wearing these cute little flats that match the color of the bridesmaids dresses.  my dress is long, so you'll only see them when i peek them out on purpose.

Smile

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My everyday shoes have heels, usually about 2 inches. And when I get dressed, I often wear much higher heels. But on my wedding day I actually opted for lower than usual heels -- about 1.5 inches. My ceremony was outdoors and I didn't want to worry about sinking into grass. And I knew it was going to be a LONG day and that I wanted to be as comfortable as possible. I tried on a lot of gorgeous high-heeled shoes and ended up with a kind of blah pair that were super-comfortable.
  • I've always wanted to wear heels, and I'm hoping to find a pair that I can wear for the wedding and also for work in the future. The inserts and gel stuff sounds like a really good idea. I can usually wear heels with tights, but my feet sweat if I don't (gross, sorry) and it gives me blisters.

Lisa, I've thought about getting flats, but I'm trying to avoid hemming my dress (I'm planning on selling it after the wedding).
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I didnt trip at all, not that I remember atleast. It DID get very dirty though.
  • I wore 4" heels for the ceremony, pictures, first dance, and table visits.

I NEVER wore heels, but they had a little platform, so it helped.

I changed into 2" platform flip flops and was fine.

My dress didn't bother me at all and I didn't trip on the hem.
  • Yep, 5 inch heels and I wore them 8 hours.  I have to wear heels though because I'm short & chubby, so I need the elongating effect of heels.  I was a little concerned about the pain, but honestly, I was so happy and a little buzzed at the reception that I never even thought about it.  I had major blisters after the wedding, but it was worth it.  I love my shoes.
  • tlv204tlv204 member
    First Comment
    I wore mine for most of the day, until about 10 pm when I finally gave in and switched to flip flops, but really they were pretty comfortable. I wear heels relatively often though, but these shoes are comfy enough that I wear them to work occasionally, and if I can wear them all day teaching, you know they're comfortable! Mine were by bandolino, but I've worn others from that brand that weren't nearly as comfy, so maybe I just got lucky.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • I never wear heels and I don't really care to because I find them uncomfortable.  I wore knee high white chuck taylors.  No one could see them unless I lifted up my skirt, I was comfortable all day, and I got some fun pictures with them.  But I wear chuck taylors almost every day so I guess it was pretty normal for me.  

If you want to wear heels, I would say do it, just find a shorter heel and break them in before your wedding day and you should be fine.
  • Good to know! I'm trying to find a more affordable version of this style:

Alexia, I LOVE the platform flip-flop idea! I'm 5'9" and have never worn platorm anything, but that sounds like a great option. If I decide to wear heels, I'll definitely get some off those to avoid dragging my dress around if I take my heels off.
  • what you can do to prevent blisters i am not totally sure but i do know that Band-Aid makes a blister band-aid that may help for the heel. i would definitely ask some of the extreme runners who post what they do, other than buy comfy shoes, there might be a form of athletic tape that may help with it. also i think there are a few brands that have additional support, ones that have things like nike insoles
  • For blister prevention i suggest pre band-aiding sensitive places of your feet. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_did-wear-heels-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9f56d462-fd20-4ca9-8b26-04bfea5034c5Post:45ef3946-2fd2-4136-a119-9b0300849d7c">Re: Did you wear heels on your wedding day?</a>:
    [QUOTE]For blister prevention i suggest pre band-aiding sensitive places of your feet. 
    Posted by andy71781[/QUOTE]
    Andy took the words right out of my mouth.
  • ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    I wore flats. I don't do heels.
  • edited May 2010
    I like those heels, Poli.  I was just looking at them last night.  If you sign up for the Bali sweepstakes you get 20% a regular priced item.  I also have a Kate Spade coupon at home, I can check to see if its still good & if there's an online code.

My blister-prevention band-aid recommendation is the kind made with duct tape.  Most band-aids fall off my feet, but those things stay on for days. 
  • Ooh, fang! That's awesome! Let me know :)
  • I am, but I'm also bringing flats for me to change into right before the dancing starts.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • I wore 3.5 inch heels the whole day without a problem.  The best thing I did was get the Dr. Scholls gel foot pads--they helped a ton. 
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_did-wear-heels-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9f56d462-fd20-4ca9-8b26-04bfea5034c5Post:8036144a-f5f7-418c-9329-a73092f60e03">Re: Did you wear heels on your wedding day?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wear heels every day, so I guess I'm not much help.  My suggestion would be nothing more than 2" and a wider heel rather than a skinny one if you want to go with heels.  Oh, and definitely get some gel inserts if possible (I'm always gellin'). Why not just go with a cute pair of flats?  I've heard of plenty of brides who did that.
    Posted by lisarose7[/QUOTE]

Ditto for me!

I wear heels almost every day, but I sit in an office & push papers...

I do plan to wear my heels for 99% of the day. I did buy a pair of flats though just in case (just got at Target. Basic white ballet flats.)

I would add too you may consider a pump, or heels with straps that go farther up your foot rather than a flip style. They are easier to keep on your feet, so you don't get tired scrunching your foot up as you walk.

I did get inserts too.
  • I'm planning to wear wedges. I bought these, but dyed them Apple red to match the BM's dresses. We're also having an outdoor wedding so heels would be a disaster. :)

http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&catentryId=6110510

I'm probably still going to get some gel inserts because they're still pretty high and I don't want to be in pain.

• My sister never wears dresses, let alone heels. She wore white nikes that said the bride on the back of them in green.  The groom had a pair that he changed into for the reception.

She wore a long dress so it didn't really matter and it would have been really out of character for her to have worn dress shoes.  I don't think that helps you but you should feel inspired to be yourself.

Me?  I'll wear 4 inch hooker shoes.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Btw smokey, I have to tell you (even though it's probably creepy) that based on your gorgeousness and beerness of our sig pic, I would completely fall in love with you if I liked girls. Just sayin'.

Thanks for the tip, Brie!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_did-wear-heels-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9f56d462-fd20-4ca9-8b26-04bfea5034c5Post:84af5553-cbba-402b-8582-dd56bbb4b105">Re: Did you wear heels on your wedding day?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Btw smokey, I have to tell you (even though it's probably creepy) that based on your gorgeousness and beerness of our sig pic,<strong> I would completely fall in love with you if I liked girls.</strong> Just sayin'. Thanks for the tip, Brie!
    Posted by polichik[/QUOTE]

You wouldn't be the first, my friend.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_did-wear-heels-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9f56d462-fd20-4ca9-8b26-04bfea5034c5Post:ff51eac6-0aa9-4474-9604-11d44c594dd0">Re: Did you wear heels on your wedding day?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good to know! I'm trying to find a more affordable version of this style: Alexia, I LOVE the platform flip-flop idea! I'm 5'9" and have never worn platorm anything, but that sounds like a great option. If I decide to wear heels, I'll definitely get some off those to avoid dragging my dress around if I take my heels off.
    Posted by polichik[/QUOTE]

Here's one that's relatively close:
    <a href="http://mksfashion.ecrater.com/search.php?cid=715246&keywords=yellow+pump">http://mksfashion.ecrater.com/search.php?cid=715246&keywords=yellow+pump</a>
    They're only 21.99, but only go up to size 7.5 :-/
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards