Illinois-Chicago
Options

Catholic marriage prep in chicago

Hi everyone-

My fiance and I are getting married in Michigan, but have permission from our priest to do marriage prep in Chicago (the 1 day bootcamp). We are 28 & 29, but have been living together for over 2 years. When I looked at the precana classes through the archdiocese, there are 2 different classes: one for people in their 20's and one for people in their 30's, that live together, or have been married previously, etc. 

I'm just curious about the difference, as I feel like we could go through either. Our priest knows we both live in Chicago, but we don't think he knows we live togther & we don't want to say anything to him just in case it would make him not be able to marry us. I also don't want to go through the "in your 20's not living together" class and not be able to be honest about our relationship. 

I'm just curious if anyone has gone through either prep that is in the same situation. 

Thanks!! :) 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Catholic marriage prep in chicago

• Options
    I do not have any firsthand knowledge as to the difference between the two classes.  However, if you really want the class to have any significance at all, I would encourage you to take the class that more closely resembles your current life situation. 

I would also encourage you to be truthful, if asked, about your living arrangements.  At some point, the truth will come out, particularly when it comes time to take care of basic paperwork issues.  Although every parish and every priest is different, I think you will find that many are more lenient regarding cohabitation.

My daughter and (then) fiance were with their priest one evening taking care of paperwork.  Father asked my daughter for her address.  She gave the house number and street name, followed with "unit A".  Her fiance was then asked to offer his information.  He sheepishly relayed the same house number and street name.  At that point, Father interrupted him, and interjected, "And that would be unit B, right?"  After a timid response of, "No?", and a slight chuckle, the issue was dropped.

Good luck~
  • Options
    Hi! We recently did the one-day Pre-Cana for couples in their 20's, even though we moved in together after we got engaged. The living-together issue never specifically came up in the class, at least not that I can remember. Most of the discussion is between the couple or in small groups -- not so much with the instructors.

We are in our late 20's and have never been married, and I would say the class we chose was the right one for our situation. Hope that helps!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Although we're in the Chicago area, we didn't do either of those classes, just had pre-cana through our church. We had only been living together a short time, but we did disclose it to our priest right away. It turned out to be no biggie, really. We didn't get asked anything personal (you know). I think the church has this view that couples who have lived together might have a different perspectives from couples who have not, so that's why they separate the classes. They probably will have a few different topics/questions relating to living together that don't pop up in the other class. I'd say be honest and go with the second class without fear :)
  • Options
    I think they just separte in different areas so that you are in a class with your peers.  We are actually still looking for a place to do precana since we are unable to attend all dates by the church near our home.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    521image 126image 39image 356image RSVP Date: August 1
  • Options
    We're on the younger end of the age range (25) but since we've lived together for 2 years, we're doing the pre-cana for those who already live together, thinking that it will skip some of the "how to organize a household" stuff.  Our priest doesn't seem to care that we've been living together (he's been over for dinner at our apartment).  I think that most are really practical and understand that so many people are cohabiting before marriage.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited February 2012

My FI and I have also been living together for approximately 2 years and the Priest was totally fine with it.  The Priest highly recommended we do the weekend retreat but our work schedule do not coordinate with the precana schedule.  The priest told  us we can choose either the class for people in their 20's or the couples living together/ previously married /or couples with children class.  We are both 26 and the priest said we would benefit from both classes.

• Options
    Thanks everyone. We decided to go with the "special" class...this way we don't have to worry about what we say & I don't really want to lie!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards