New Mexico
Options

help

ok new mexico ladies my dad its traditional and wants to invite the whooollllleee family and i just want freinds and family that i talk to and are close enough to share our wedding day with. did any of you have an issue as mine.

Re: help

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sort of, but not so much with family, since both of us have relatively small families.  However, my fi wants to invite people he hasn't seen or talked to in years.  If your dad is paying I wouldn't worry too much about it, if he isn't, you might want to tell him, he can invite x number of people, bottom line.  Good luck.  What wedding venue are you using?
  • Options
    SandiaLizSandiaLiz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep! My whooooole family is coming! We wanted 50 - 75 and ended up inviting 140 beause of exactly that problem. I do think it comes down to who is paying for the wedding as well as really evaluating what you want. If you are paying for it yourselves then you have every right to decide how many people can come. If not, you have to balance your wishes against what the family wants. If a small wedding is really important to you than you need to let your dad know and be willing to deal with the consequence of hurt feelings. But it is valid. It is your wedding! 

As someone who ended up with a much larger wedding I have to say it isn't so bad. I have been shocked at the love and support we have felt from so many people. It feels great to know we are starting our lives with so many people behind us! Plus, on a totally terrible and selfish note...lots of presents! :-) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ditto Sandia! WE wanted a small wedding and ended up with 120. It was awesome, and we stll had room for more! We couldnt believe all tye love and support either! GL in your decision!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    clujan50clujan50 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the input ladies and I am goignt o have our reception at The Cooperage since we are going through their catering..
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We actually had an almost identical situation with the future mother in law, except WE are the ones paying for the wedding. We finally changed all our plans (because she had caused the guest list to shoot up to about 225)

We settled on having our wedding be small (changed the venue and the city even lol) it's only going to be family and the wedding party. Less than 100 people. A week after that, we are letting the mother in law throw a huge party/reception and invite anyone she wants. We're making it a pot luck and casual. We can still get our first dance, and enjoy our time with everyone, without killing our budget entirely. Plus the mother in law is happy and off my back.

If your dad is paying, it might be tougher, but it would be worth it to sit down and present a similar idea to him (if you and your fiance would like that idea) and let him know what it means to you.

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    clujan50clujan50 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks i will 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards