Snarky Brides

This made me laugh (HG related)

A friend sent me this Youtube link, about how the HG series is one of the most challenged by parents who think it should be banned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoVvydV1XsY&feature=g-logo&context=G2e748a2FOAAAAAAAAAA

The funny part is when the video says it's challenged along with other American classics, like To Kill A Mockingbird and The Gossio Girl series. I did a head tilt at that.

Re: This made me laugh (HG related)

• Well that's just stupid. If parents weren't so busy being offended over everything they would realize what value the HG books do have. People get so caught up in the "kids killing kids" theme that they completely bypass everything else, like the social commentaries the books make and (what I find most interesting) the concept of fate and being trapped by a forced-upon destiny.
  • I have never understood why people want to get books banned. It always seems like the most often banned books are the ones with the greatest moral or life lesson to be had. Maybe these parents, instead of demanding the book be banned, should sit down and read the book, then let their kid read the book and afterward have a discussion with the kid about the book. But I'd bet a lot parents don't really want to put that much effort into parenting.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-made-me-laugh-hg-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:091e00db-0fdd-4e35-bf4b-df99de7765eaPost:8ef644ed-3539-44e2-b261-26377ee41485">This made me laugh (HG related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]A friend sent me this Youtube link, about how the HG series is one of the most challenged by parents who think it should be banned. <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoVvydV1XsY&feature=g-logo&context=G2e748a2FOAAAAAAAAAA">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoVvydV1XsY&feature=g-logo&context=G2e748a2FOAAAAAAAAAA</a> The funny part is when the video says it's challenged along with other American classics, like To Kill A Mockingbird and <strong>The Gossio Girl series.</strong> I did a head tilt at that.
    Posted by ZombieNates[/QUOTE]

<div>Who knew the Gossip Girls series could be ranked up there with the great American Classics?  I will head tilt that.</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: I completely agree with Mara.  </div>
  • Does no one appreciate the irony of the GG series being called "an American classic"?

• edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-made-me-laugh-hg-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:091e00db-0fdd-4e35-bf4b-df99de7765eaPost:cb62b75a-22b6-4e04-a3be-bc07bafca901">Re: This made me laugh (HG related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to This made me laugh (HG related) : Who knew the Gossip Girls series could be ranked up there with the great American Classics?  I will head tilt that. ETA: I completely agree with Mara.  
    Posted by lbarr088[/QUOTE]
    Ha, thank you! I was all, hmmmmmm.  Apparently my 2 literature degrees were not comprehensive enough :P
  • Yeah, TKAM, Catcher, Fahrenheit 451--they're all still targeted. It's bizarre to think about , but the ALA releases a list every year as part of Banned Books Week. My students really enjoy it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-made-me-laugh-hg-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:091e00db-0fdd-4e35-bf4b-df99de7765eaPost:c381cf34-d153-40fe-80af-fd6823af8538">Re: This made me laugh (HG related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This made me laugh (HG related) : Ha, thank you! I was all, hmmmmmm.  Apparently my 2 literature degrees were not comprehensive enough :P

<div>I saw your post directly after mine and thought "Hey, I saw it!"</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>I really think banning books is lame.  I guess I can see the underlying reason why parents wouldn't want their kids to read certain things but I take it all as a learning experience. I mean, for goodness sakes if your kid wants to read then let them read!  Instead of banning books, open the door for communication with your children.  Kids ask SO many questions and that's the opportunity for parents to put in their two cents.  Oh, but actually talking to your kids about certain subjects would require thought, and well, interacting with your kids.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-made-me-laugh-hg-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:091e00db-0fdd-4e35-bf4b-df99de7765eaPost:657578d0-3362-4317-939f-05a06e90f0ba">Re: This made me laugh (HG related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This made me laugh (HG related) : I saw your post directly after mine and thought "Hey, I saw it!" I really think banning books is lame.  I guess I can see the underlying reason why parents wouldn't want their kids to read certain things but I take it all as a learning experience. I mean, for goodness sakes if your kid wants to read then let them read!  Instead of banning books, open the door for communication with your children.  Kids ask SO many questions and that's the opportunity for parents to put in their two cents.  Oh, but actually talking to your kids about certain subjects would require thought, and well, interacting with your kids.
    Posted by lbarr088[/QUOTE]
    Who wants to actually talk to their kids? ;)

I agree with everything you guys said, obviously.
  • aggiebugaggiebug member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2012
    haha that is an odd addition to the list of American classics.

And I get- to an extent- restricting what young kids have access to at school.  The HG is NOT meant for preteens or even young teens IMO.  I don't think that age is able to grasp the social context and underlying message well.  

that being said, I think its a PARENTS responsibility to monitor what their children are reading not what everyone else's kids are reading.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Is this a joke?  The video title has "parody" in it.
    panther
  • My 11 year old cousin was reading HG around Christmas, his mom asked me if I thought she needed to read it.  I said yes, she got really annoyed.  Clearly she'd have rather I just took over the partenting for that one.
  • Both the HGs and Twilights series made the top ten list of 2010 for most targeted books
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-made-me-laugh-hg-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:091e00db-0fdd-4e35-bf4b-df99de7765eaPost:85adacfd-aaa6-4089-acaf-1d5603bcbc36">Re: This made me laugh (HG related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is this a joke?  The video title has "parody" in it.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]
    I think they put in parody for the depictions from the book/movie.  It really is a book that's been challenged, according to the ALA.
  • edited April 2012
    OH.  Well.  That's interesting.

For real though, I can kind of understand why.  It's a book about kids killing other kids.  That's kind of dark, you know?  I think teens are fine to read it but I am not sure I'd let my younger children read those books.

But, I suck.  So there's that.
    panther
  • This makes me think of my grandparents getting mad at my mom and dad for letting my little brother read Harry Potter. "Magic is the devil's work!" lol
  • I think Twilight should be at the top of the list for banned books. Seriously. Those books are such a crock of shiit.

I didn't know GG was a book series. Embarassed
  • I would be less opposed to books being banned for horrendous writing and plot development, Mara.

Kidding. I don't think books should be banned. But Twilight should be part of a large bonfire, complete with pitchfork-waving villagers.

Edie, here's a list of the most challenged books: http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100/radcliffes-rival-100-best-novels-list/

And this is information on why many of the classic, canonical books were challenged:
    http://www.ala.org/advocacy/banned/frequentlychallenged/challengedclassics/reasonsbanned
  • A friend posted this explanation of the Twilight series today and I found it rather amusing.

I remember intentionally reading some banned or restricted books when I was young. I can't remember what they were but I know they weren't nearly as titillating as I expected a banned book to be. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Celtic, that was pretty amusing :)
  • Girlie1030Girlie1030 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I can't post to the HG thing since I've never read any or plan to but my cousin who's an English teacher in Clark County NV was recently informed that they would no longer be teaching to novels or have any as required reading.  It is felt they are only a waste of time and do nothing to improve test scores.  So in another few years all of those classics that were required reading for us will likely be unknown by teenagers.  My heart broke a little.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-made-me-laugh-hg-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:091e00db-0fdd-4e35-bf4b-df99de7765eaPost:fd4ff117-30bb-4b78-87d1-b7f7110d0943">Re: This made me laugh (HG related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't post to the HG thing since I've never read any or plan to but my cousin who's an English teacher in Clark County NV was recently informed that they would no longer be teaching to novels or have any as required reading.  It is felt they are only a waste of time and do nothing to improve test scores.  So in another few years all of those classics that were required reading for us will likely be unknown by teenagers.  My heart broke a little.
    Posted by Girlie1030[/QUOTE]
    Actually, that's kind of happening here. As of next school year, our courses will be 70-80% nonfiction texts, with limited focus on literary works. 
  • wow my heart breaks!  
    Fred Rogers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-made-me-laugh-hg-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:091e00db-0fdd-4e35-bf4b-df99de7765eaPost:fd4ff117-30bb-4b78-87d1-b7f7110d0943">Re: This made me laugh (HG related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't post to the HG thing since I've never read any or plan to but my cousin who's an English teacher in Clark County NV was recently informed that they would no longer be teaching to novels or have any as required reading.  It is felt they are only a waste of time and do nothing to improve test scores.  So in another few years all of those classics that were required reading for us will likely be unknown by teenagers.  My heart broke a little.
    ... the fuuck? OMG. When are education administrators going to learn that standardized tests are not a good indicator of intelligence or learned knowledge. It's pretty easy to memorize shiit, and then forget it all once you've taken the test.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-made-me-laugh-hg-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:091e00db-0fdd-4e35-bf4b-df99de7765eaPost:6dd8fce6-b53b-431d-aea9-42cf5c6944c4">Re: This made me laugh (HG related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This made me laugh (HG related) : ... the fuuck? OMG. When are education administrators going to learn that standardized tests are not a good indicator of intelligence or learned knowledge. It's pretty easy to memorize shiit, and then forget it all once you've taken the test.
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]

Exactly! 

And like jcb, except it was my dad, got me reading early and the love of reading continues to this day.  But it was thanks to what I was exposed to in school that I don't stick with just one genre - it will run the spectrum from non-fiction to complete fluffy fiction. 
  • Apparently, the outlook here is that literature has no merit in "real life," so why waste time studying it? We can focus on any nonfiction text that helps prepare kids for the style of reading they'll be expected to do on standardized tests. 
  • marateamaratea member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-made-me-laugh-hg-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:091e00db-0fdd-4e35-bf4b-df99de7765eaPost:651b6777-d627-4cd6-9b5c-26cfa3be0087">Re: This made me laugh (HG related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Apparently, the outlook here is that literature has no merit in "real life," so why waste time studying it</strong>? We can focus on any nonfiction text that helps prepare kids for the style of reading they'll be expected to do on standardized tests. 
    This is so bizarre to me. Those dumbass 'if this is to that' questions on the SAT sure as shiit don't have anything to do with RL but if you want to get into college, you still have to learn it. I think there are many lessons that can be drawn from literature that apply to real life more appropriately than finding the length of the side of a isosceles triangle.
  • The ONE parent that ended up not being happy with me reading the book in class said, "It's just about kids killing other kids, right?" I asked if she'd read it, and she said no. I tried to explain that there was way more to it than that. 
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-made-me-laugh-hg-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:091e00db-0fdd-4e35-bf4b-df99de7765eaPost:9efd3a60-b074-4030-87b3-4577555bf748">Re: This made me laugh (HG related)</a>:
    [QUOTE] But it was thanks to what I was exposed to in school that I don't stick with just one genre - it will run the spectrum from non-fiction to complete fluffy fiction. 

I am trying to instill the same feelings in my kids.  And it would seem that you are proof that I can be successful.  Here is to hoping that they "get it" when they are older.  Thanks Girlie1030 for the boost today.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards