Catholic Weddings

Tuesday questions -- Pre-Lent Edition!

With lent approaching, I thought this would be fitting :)

1.  Do you know what you want to give up this year?  What are you thinking of doing?
2.  What are some more creative things you've given up in the past?

Feel free to add!!

Re: Tuesday questions -- Pre-Lent Edition!

• 1.  Do you know what you want to give up this year?  What are you thinking of doing?
    I am playing around with a few ideas, like giving up TV, sweets, or alcohol.  Those are really the only things I can think of giving up that would really impact me more than once or twice.  I am also considering taking up something, such as waking up 20 minutes early to say a rosary, or making a commitment to go to confession each week. 
    2.  What are some more creative things you've given up in the past?
    One year I gave up listening to secular music in the car, and would instead pray the rosary while I drove.  I drove a lot more then, so some days I'd end up saying 3 or 4 rosaries!  It really had an impact on me.  I don't have a commute anymore, and barely spend time in the car, so it wouldn't work for me now, but I recommend it to others for sure!

• I haven't yet come up with an idea for this year, but one year I "gave up" shoes.  I have a serious shoe addiction (they are all over my apartment, and I lost count of how many pairs I have years ago), so that year, I decided to wear one of only three pairs for the entire Lenten season - one pair of sneakers, one pair of dressier black shoes, and one pair of boots (as I was in NH and dealing with the snowy February weather).  I was in high school at the time, so my friends took it upon themselves to police me.  They all thought it was hilarious.

Definitely not the most mature or serious of things to give up, but hey, I was 16...
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_tuesday-questions-pre-lent-edition?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:b622d0d2-27b6-434f-bc33-00ed9a7698daPost:268d5c14-7cb1-44bc-b97a-e92e09329643">Re: Tuesday questions -- Pre-Lent Edition!</a>:
    [QUOTE]1.  Do you know what you want to give up this year?  What are you thinking of doing? I am playing around with a few ideas, like giving up TV, sweets, or alcohol.  Those are really the only things I can think of giving up that would really impact me more than once or twice.  I am also considering taking up something, such as waking up 20 minutes early to say a rosary, or making a commitment to go to confession each week.  2.  What are some more creative things you've given up in the past? <strong>One year I gave up listening to secular music in the car, and would instead pray the rosary while I drove.</strong>  I drove a lot more then, so some days I'd end up saying 3 or 4 rosaries!  It really had an impact on me.  I don't have a commute anymore, and barely spend time in the car, so it wouldn't work for me now, but I recommend it to others for sure!
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

I once gave up listening to any music in the car, which was a challenge.  I didn't pray the rosary in its place, but it ended up being nice to have that contemplative time every morning and afternoon.
  • 1. I'm giving up sweets to some extent. Mostly baking them and eating every.last.bit of it. Choosing better snacks. I'm also giving up lurking on social media where I don't actively participate. Here, for example, I actually grow in my faith, have relationships, etc., so I'll be around. But I lurk on TB (and lots of other sites) every day, but don't participate in any way (or have any desire to), and don't gain much from it. Ditto my Twitter account from which I have not so much as sent out one tweet. I can use that time for much for edifying things.

2. I entirely gave up caffeine one year. It was really hard, but that Easter Sunday latte tasted soooo good! I don't know how creative that it, but it's the best I have!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think the shoes thing is a really good idea!  I definitely notice the effect on my spirituality when I give up something (or take up something!) that impacts me each day.  Plus, there are so many comments in scripture about needing to give up our material things...by just having 3 pairs of shoes, instead of countless pairs, you definitely let go of material things!

• I haven't completely decided what I'll give up this year - probably will be something like giving up sweets and/or eating out, at least for lunch.  I've considered giving up caffiene, but that might be a bit too much of a shock going cold turkey.  I'll definitely switch my weekly Coffee Tuesday soy caramel latte (office pays for the staff to get a coffee/latte once a week) to just plain old coffee, so it's not as much of a "treat."

In the past, I usually gave up either chocolate or fast food.  One year in high school I tried to give up meat and go vegetarian every day instead of just Fridays.  My mom made me stop though because I ended up hardly eating anything since I was a picky eater and it was hard to find non-meat things that I liked.  It might work now that I"m a much more adventurous eater, but I'd have to end up cooking two versions of every meal because there's NO way my H will ever go vegetarian :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_tuesday-questions-pre-lent-edition?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:b622d0d2-27b6-434f-bc33-00ed9a7698daPost:d82c044b-c328-40c4-a3d6-ab3100b5f026">Re: Tuesday questions -- Pre-Lent Edition!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the shoes thing is a really good idea!  I definitely notice the effect on my spirituality when I give up something (or take up something!) that impacts me each day.  Plus, there are so many comments in scripture about needing to give up our material things...by just having 3 pairs of shoes, instead of countless pairs, you definitely let go of material things!
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

I never thought of it that way, but it's a great point!
  • I think I've finally decided on giving up sitting down in front of the TV as soon as I get home.  Instead I plan to read, pray, walk my dogs, or *gasp* get some work done.  I have a terrible habit of turning on the TV and just zoning out for hours, especially when I'm just exhausted from work.  In the meantime, I've got a book I've been "reading" for about six months sitting untouched on my bedside, and my goal of reading the Bible cover to cover in 2012 definitely didn't happen.

A few years ago I gave up "getting frustrated."  I read something about how it's not always about giving up a tangible thing, but rather changing something in yourself.  That year I remember getting REALLY stressed over things that were happening at work and it was just perfect to remind myself all through Lent to just turn to Christ whenever I felt stressed.

When some of my students found out, they told me "Oh, that's impossible with us."  =(
    Anniversary

• 1. Do you know what you want to give up this year? What are you thinking of doing?

I am actually not planning on giving anything up. I am actually making it that I will attend Mass every sunday and Holy Thursday/ Good Friday. The reason I am doing this is because I have not been going as much as I did when I lived back with my family at our home parish. I have not felt comfortable at this new parish where I live now and need to start becoming comfortable since this is where I will be living the rest of my life with. Traveling the 4 hours back and forth from current parish to new home would be a little crazy every weekend. I hate that I wonder off the beaten path from church since I have moved.

2. What are some more creative things you've given up in the past?

One year I gave up shopping and I did very well, but I don't believe I could do that this year since I am starting to look for clothes for the honesymoon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_tuesday-questions-pre-lent-edition?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:b622d0d2-27b6-434f-bc33-00ed9a7698daPost:c970d5c9-1e6b-47ad-a720-253938234a5b">Re: Tuesday questions -- Pre-Lent Edition!</a>:
    [QUOTE]1. Do you know what you want to give up this year? What are you thinking of doing? I am actually not planning on giving anything up. I am actually making it that I will attend Mass every sunday and Holy Thursday/ Good Friday. The reason I am doing this is because I have not been going as much as I did when I lived back with my family at our home parish. I have not felt comfortable at this new parish where I live now and need to start becoming comfortable since this is where I will be living the rest of my life with. Traveling the 4 hours back and forth from current parish to new home would be a little crazy every weekend. I hate that I wonder off the beaten path from church since I have moved. 2. What are some more creative things you've given up in the past? <strong>One year I gave up shopping and I did very well, but I don't believe I could do that this year since I am starting to look for clothes for the honesymoon.</strong>
    Posted by pittpoint1119[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Haha, I need to do this, since we are going to start practicing living on just my husband's income, but being pregnant kind of throws a wrench into that plan!  =(

</div>
    Anniversary

• 1. Do you know what you want to give up this year? What are you thinking of doing?  I usually give up alcohol (and fail miserably) but now that im living and eating healthier, i think i can actually do it this year since ive already cut back so much (just having 2 drinks only on fri and sat nights).  i gave up coffee one year - i will NEVER do that again.  i dont have many bad vices these days - giving up music in the car is an intreresting idea.

2. What are some more creative things you've given up in the past?  i have zero creativity in my past givings up.
  • 1) I haven't decided yet - but I usually always give up something and then add something (extra prayers, etc).

2) In the past I've given up food related things: cheese, adding salt, fried food. I've also given up shopping for clothes/non essentials.
  • This year I am giving up alcohol, I usually like to mix it up and try to challenge myself.  I'm also going to try to go to church every Sunday during lent, as well as Ash Wednesday and good Friday, I havne't been going much at all since I moved out and think this is a great time to reconnect.

I used to always give up soda but then I stopped drinking it completely so then I moved on to chocolate which is always hard for me because of my sweet tooth, last year I gave up French Fries
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Don't forget -- giving up sin isn't the same as a lenten penance.  You should be doing that anyway, and lent is a great time to start, but in terms of a penance, you should be giving up things that are enjoyable, but aren't morally wrong.  For instance, giving up chocolate or tv requires some sacrifice, and is good for you, but once lent is over, there's no problem with going back to your chocolate-eating, tv-watching ways.  Again, it's a great time to make a firm commitment to avoiding particular sins to which you're inclined, but in addition, we should be taking up an extra penance.

• 1.  Do you know what you want to give up this year?  What are you thinking of doing?
    I am going to try something new this year and give one thing away every day of lent.  This will help me get a handle on my materialism and since we'll be moving in the next few months it will help with that too (added bonus).

2.  What are some more creative things you've given up in the past? One of the hardest things I did was giving up speeding, I know that sounds awful!  It was really hard but I did it successfully.  I've done that twice actually :o)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I really like the idea of giving things away or cutting back on materialistic things.  I could really use some help with that, since H and I are planning to put our condo on the market soon and look at buying a house this year, if possible.  It would definitely be a good idea to cut back the amount of "stuff" we have before a big move.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_tuesday-questions-pre-lent-edition?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:b622d0d2-27b6-434f-bc33-00ed9a7698daPost:e14a7ef2-f505-4220-9f80-2e26dad7a07c">Re: Tuesday questions -- Pre-Lent Edition!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really like the idea of giving things away or cutting back on materialistic things.  I could really use some help with that, since H and I are planning to put our condo on the market soon and look at buying a house this year, if possible.  It would definitely be a good idea to cut back the amount of "stuff" we have before a big move.
    Posted by erin5286[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I was thinking!  And actually I'm pretty sure I stole the idea from someone on here ???  Did we have a lent conversation a while ago? I know I didn't come up with the idea by myself and I was thinking I got it from someone on here... hmm...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Man, I don't have anything creative planned. I am kind of planning on giving up "my shows" which is a lot of TV/Internet time. And would replace that (in theory) with reading and prayer, etc. I will probably last about 3 days with that one, though. Maybe chocolate, which is what I did last year, but then I just ended up getting hooked on coffee in replacement. Maybe I will just aim to get to stations each week and leave it at that. I did give up all snacking between meals one year which I did surprisingly well at, but with the wacky eating schedule I have now, I don't know if I could do it. We had a priest growing up who said we can fast from more than just food. We can fast from sarcasm, laziness, materialism, etc. My mom's friend then gave up sarcasm for lent which was really tough for her! :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Speaking of fasting, if you're already dieting, what should you do for days of fasting?  You're basically fasting already, but it's not for spiritual reasons, so it seems like it doesn't really count.  Anyone know?

•  

I’m thinking I’ll probably give up sweets and junk snacks. I don’t eat tons of this stuff but since I can’t do a proper fast because of nursing, I figure this kind of preserves the spirit of fasting. I did the same last year when I was pregnant.

I’ve never done anything really creative but DH once gave up speaking. It was actually during that lent that we started dating so that made things interesting. He carried around a little dry erase board and we learned a little bit of sign language.  By the end he had grown so used to it that it was hard for him to take it back up again.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_tuesday-questions-pre-lent-edition?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:b622d0d2-27b6-434f-bc33-00ed9a7698daPost:9399561f-37b2-4837-a730-4e65485a9254">Re: Tuesday questions -- Pre-Lent Edition!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Speaking of fasting, if you're already dieting, what should you do for days of fasting?  You're basically fasting already, but it's not for spiritual reasons, so it seems like it doesn't really count.  Anyone know?
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

<p class="MsoNormal">I’d probably do bread and water or just water. I’m<span>  </span>guessing that’s not anybody’s regular diet plan <span style="font-family:Wingdings;"><span>=)</span></span></p>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If one is already dieting, they can offer up the sacrifices as penance. Just because it was in place before Lent doesn't negate the penitential aspect of it.  And just because the season might not be lent, it still can be offered as penance.

•  1.  Do you know what you want to give up this year?  What are you thinking of doing? I think I'm going to continue waking up early to work out before work.  The mornings I don't work out I'm going to try and attend daily mass.  I am also being trained as an Eucharistic Minister, so I will be more active in the Sunday liturgy.

2.  What are some more creative things you've given up in the past? I have given up Facebook a couple times, the first being in college.  I ended up not missing it too much and found myself not needing to constantly be logged in.  It was a nice way to interact with my friends in person, rather than on the computer.
  • Giving up: We haven't officially decided yet, but we're going to do some combination of alcohol, a particular tv show, and having at least one night a week of "no screen time." We will also try to go to Mass more, which becomes easier b/c DH's parish starts offering an evening Mass during lent! yay! But also, this will be a weird Lent, b/c DH will be traveling for approximately half of it! thumbs down...

creative things: I dated for a while a guy who was Byzantine Catholic, and he introduced me how the Eastern Church does Lent, where basically they all become vegans. So I successfully did that a couple times. It's actually pretty easy, in our modern American culture, where there are so many "real" vegans, and like lactose-intolerant people, so you can find all sorts of butter/milk substitutes really easily. I actually really liked doing that, but it would be too hard with DH now b/c he is such a picky eater. I'm fine eating lentils and beans and veggies every night, but him, not so much! :-D
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards