Wedding Etiquette Forum

Any Halloween plans tonight?

Any plans?  We live in a rural area so we don't get trick or treaters anymore.  DS and I are going to find a Dracula movie non Netflix and eat french bread pizza.

We had a party over the weekend for our granddd who is moving to TN.  Had about 45 people there, most in costume.  Best one was the lone black guy dressed as Where's Waldo.  No one could find him.  I thought it was absolute genius.

You guys doing anything tonight?

Re: Any Halloween plans tonight?

• Choir practice at church. Tongue out Since tomorrow is All Saints Day, we have Evensong planned. We don't get ANY trick-or-treaters in our subdivision, probably because there are no streelights or sidewalks.
  • We have streetlights and sidewalks; yet our neighborhood rarely gets trick-or-treaters; not even the little kids who live across the street.  It's an "I don't get it" I guess.  I see kids up and down the other blocks but most don't venture here.  I asked H about it since he's owned the house for 20+ years and he said it's always been like this.  The block is shunned for some reason.  I'm on shift tonight so I won't be heartbroken by the lack of kids.
  • I'm in NYC, so Halloween was pretty much canceled due to the hurricane. :(
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_any-halloween-plans-tonight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5281b774-719f-47d0-ba2e-f07bc9e4aeecPost:c7c330ef-d39a-4734-a11e-c0ed2e9571e7">Re: Any Halloween plans tonight?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm in NYC, so Halloween was pretty much canceled due to the hurricane. :(
    Posted by mrskristinyc[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I'm sorry.  I hope you got through the storm ok with mimimal damage.

</div>
  • Thanks! I'm in Queens, and we didn't have an damage (and still have power/internet!). But, the subways won't be running for days (maybe weeks...), so I can't get into Manhattan to go to work.  We were supposed to wear costumes to work yesterday and have a massive party last night, but that obviously couldn't happen. It's going to be rescheduled for sometime next week, but I don't think it'll be the same...
  • I'm also handing out candy. We just bought a house a couple of months ago so I'm not sure how many trick or treaters we'll get.
  • I'll be driving to a dog show.. 6 hours in the car. Yippee...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_any-halloween-plans-tonight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5281b774-719f-47d0-ba2e-f07bc9e4aeecPost:23f75965-a4ae-4c99-90bf-54728fc82bf5">Re: Any Halloween plans tonight?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'll be driving to a dog show.. <strong>6 hours in the car</strong>. Yippee...
    Posted by KellyBrian2013[/QUOTE]

With the dogs Kelly?  What breed do you show?
  • I will be trick-r-treating with one of my good friends and her 3 year old daughter!  her H runs a store so he never gets to do this with them so I guess it has become our tradition to take her around their neighborhood!  :) 

it's really cold here in Ohio but nothing major!  stay safe MrsKristinyc!  and all others in that area, traveling to those areas, etc.! 

Happy Halloween!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_any-halloween-plans-tonight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5281b774-719f-47d0-ba2e-f07bc9e4aeecPost:0c269fba-1e53-4254-8111-3c19cd02e605">Re: Any Halloween plans tonight?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Any Halloween plans tonight? : With the dogs Kelly?  What breed do you show?
    Posted by Marrin713[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'll have 6 with me (and a friend is meeting me there on Friday with 4 more). Pugs are
    "my" breed. I'll have 3 with me (one that I own/lives with me, two that I co-own with people but live with other people) and then 3 client dogs - 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and 1 French Bulldog.

They're all pretty used to being on the road, so the trip won't phase them. I just hate driving by myself haha
  • Good luck at the show Kelly!  You show dogs for a living?
  • Thank you! It's a hobby of mine, but I'm blessed to have some clients that help cover expenses of showing my own dogs. If I did it full time, I could probably do it for a living, but that would mean being gone literally every weekend throughout the year, and that's just too dang much. I did it for 2 years back when I graduated HS, working for a professional who makes his living showing. I had a blast, loved every second of it, but it was exhausting and definitely not the life for me. So I go to shows twice a month or so, largely with my own dogs, but with a few client dogs on the side.
  • I have friends who show Cane Corsos and they must have those dogs at a show literally every single day according to FB.  Well, that's an exaggeration but I think every weekend.  They have 4 now - 3 are being shown and the 4th is too young.  They don't do their own showing tho.
  • It's probably not far from the truth, especially if they have them out with a professional. There were times when I was on the road as an assistant that we were home for one, maybe two days in a two or three week span. The one trip that stays in my head was: 5 days of shows in WI, one day off, drove to Michigan, 4 days in Michigan, one day home, drove (overnight) to Colorado, 4 days in Colorado, 2-day drive home, one day home, then the crew split up: half of us went to 4 more days in Wisconsin and the other half went to 3 days in Indiana. So in one month, we were home a grand total of 3 days and had shown dogs in 4 states. It was insane.

• FI and I are going to dinner then taking my 6year old trick or treating (she has quite the social life and is going to a party after school/before trick or treating). It's supposed to be pretty rainy here, so umbrella's will definitely be used!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_any-halloween-plans-tonight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5281b774-719f-47d0-ba2e-f07bc9e4aeecPost:870c7a21-2386-4e4a-ad31-2604dd171020">Re: Any Halloween plans tonight?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's probably not far from the truth, especially if they have them out with a professional. There were times when I was on the road as an assistant that we were home for one, maybe two days in a two or three week span. The one trip that stays in my head was: 5 days of shows in WI, one day off, drove to Michigan, 4 days in Michigan, one day home, drove (overnight) to Colorado, 4 days in Colorado, 2-day drive home, one day home, then the crew split up: half of us went to 4 more days in Wisconsin and the other half went to 3 days in Indiana. So in one month, we were home a grand total of 3 days and had shown dogs in 4 states. It was insane.
    Posted by KellyBrian2013[/QUOTE]

Wow!  That is insane.  I rode in horseshows but nothing on that level.  Maybe one C circuit show every few weeks.
  • I passed out candy on Saturday at my sister's. My BIL, my dad and my BIL's dad took my niece trick or treating Saturday in a golf cart! It's become a tradition of sorts that my parents come visit over Halloween weekendas in they've done since my niece has been born and we do Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas at once.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • We aren't passing out candy. I live in a community of rental townhomes and there are a ton of kids here. I got yelled at at LEAST four times last year for only having peanut candy (we bought peanut m&ms, reeses, and butterfingers because that's what we like and we were excited for leftovers). I also got yelled at for allowing my dog to be in the living room. My dog sits quietly behind me every time the door is opened. Kind of soured me on the whole thing. 

We're going over to FSIL's house to walk around her neighborhood with her kids. I'm bringing Bailey's, we'll make coffee and take the kids to a few houses. FI and I have a 16 month old daughter. I'll put her costume on her, but she won't go door to door with her cousins. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Aw Stage, that sucks.  DS would love to be there to help you scare the kids, I won't let him.

This is our 2nd year at this house.  No T&Ter's because it is quite rural.  At our last house we would drop 50-75 bucks on candy because we are both suckers (no pun intended) on giving the kids the good stuff.  Of course, we never ever opened it before 6 pm on Halloween.  No, never, really.  Never ate any candy early.  Nope, not us.

My 6 yo granddd has the croup and can't T&T tonight.  Her brother and sister will take her bag around for her and DD got conned into a couple of coloring books that come with markers and crap so she will be good.  She is an amazing little con artist.
  • FI and I will be handing out candy at my parents house tonight. We carved pumpkins last night. My dad is working at Halloween carnival at church until 6:00 so we will have candy duty from the time we get home until the time he gets home.

My dad has surprised me in the last few years with the things he likes. I never knew he wanted to learn to hunt until he did it, and I never knew how much he liked halloween until he decided to decorate the yard a few years ago. The man is almost 50 and I'm still learning about him.

Luckily, I already know FI's affinity for Halloween. He even convinced me to bend the rules today at work and wear a (very low key) costume despite their prohibition.
  • In Response to Re: Any Halloween plans tonight?:
    My dad has surprised me in the last few years with the things he likes. I never knew he wanted to learn to hunt until he did it, and I never knew how much he liked halloween until he decided to decorate the yard a few years ago. The man is almost 50 and I'm still learning about him.   Luckily, I already know FI's affinity for Halloween. He even convinced me to bend the rules today at work and wear a (very low key) costume despite their prohibition.
    Posted by heroeswearbrown[/QUOTE]

My dad is a few years older than yours, and I'm still learning so much about him. I was always a "daddy's girl" growing up. It is fun to still learn though. My mom and her siblings were still learning things about their father right up til he passed, like how he stood their mom up on their first date!

What did you go as? I miss the days of not being able to wear a costume to work Frown I worked at a Babies R Us for years and would wear PJs and have a pacifer attached and go as a baby lol! I went as Mrs. Aaron Rodgers on game day(wore a Rodger's jersey/jeans, a big fake costume jewelry ring and had my nails done and my friend who is awesome at hair and make up did it very nice). I tried to model it after Deanna Favre from back in the day.
  • edited October 2012
    haha, Yeah, I still love hearing the stories about how my dad was dating three women at once before he married my mom. They all knew and were apparently okay with it, but it makes for some "aw, crap..." moments for my dad.

I'm dressed as River Song from Doctor Who. When FI told me he planned to wear his tweed jacket and bowtie a la Matt Smith as the 11th doctor, I decided to curl my hair, find a v-neck sleeveless olive dress and go as River. It's very subtle so we can both get away with it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_any-halloween-plans-tonight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5281b774-719f-47d0-ba2e-f07bc9e4aeecPost:c0149e59-1405-4b4a-86b2-b39465b91b6b">Re: Any Halloween plans tonight?</a>:
    [QUOTE]haha, <strong>Yeah, I still love hearing the stories about how my dad was dating three women at once before he married my mom. They all knew and were apparently okay with it, but it makes for some "aw, crap..." moments for my dad</strong>. I'm dressed as River Song from Doctor Who. When FI told me he planned to wear his tweed jacket and bowtie a la Matt Smith as the 11th doctor, I decided to curl my hair, find a v-neck sleeveless olive dress and go as River. It's very subtle so we can both get away with it.
    Posted by heroeswearbrown[/QUOTE]

I busted out laughing at the bolded part! At least he was upfront with them and they were ok with it! My dad and my FFIL have been friends for 40 yrs (they were BILs for about 5 of those years) and I keep hearing stories of both from the years my FFIL was a newly divorced man to when he married my FMIL. Some of the stories makes me cringe and some make me laugh, like how my FILs were locked out of their house when they got back from their honeymoon and my dad was the only person with a key to their house(and lived 1 1/2 hr away to boot!)

Thats cool. If pe I have a very casual work clothes, so I wear tee shirts/jeans most days. I was going to wear a green tank and orange tee over(so the green tank would look like the top of a pumpkin) and as I was getting ready this morning, totally forgot. Oh well! I'm glad I didn't end up wearing at tee shirt, it's freezing in my office today!
  • FI is very depressed that he doesn't have any of his best friends here in DC to celebrate Halloween with. The past 4 years we've never really done anything, even when his friends were around in NYC, but I think being back in law school near undergrads has him sad that we can't party like that anymore. (Personally I'm thrilled to not have to find a slutty something costume appropriate for cold weather bar hopping, ha.) 

Our apartment building is having a halloween party tonight, but I don't think we'll go. 

No kids in our building so no trick or treaters. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • DD is napping in her costume but that's about as Halloweeny as it will get. Our neighbor's tree has been in the middle of the street on power lines for 2 days now and 96 of the town is still without power. Feel better Stage!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_any-halloween-plans-tonight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5281b774-719f-47d0-ba2e-f07bc9e4aeecPost:9f55556f-f9bd-400f-993e-51212330afbb">Re: Any Halloween plans tonight?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks Xcaly! We always give the kiddos seconds in the candy bucket for the trouble, assuming they stick around, lol.  I have a blast and we work out code words that DH works into the conversation to let me know what kind of kids are there.  If I hear the code for babies/tiny tots, I stay put.  Little kids, I just sit up and roar.  Anyone over about 12 though is fair game for full on getting out of the bag and staggering after them.   The kids in our old neighborhood LOVED it, and a couple even would come back multiple times with their friends.  We're in a new neighborhood this year and I was so looking forward to a fresh and unexpecting audience, but alas, I am actually feeling WORSE the more the day drags on.  :( Steph, I feel ya.  This is the first time in 10 years I haven't worn a costume to work.  When I was at the video store, I'd do the couple of days leading up to Halloween as well and have a different costume each night.  It was a blast!
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

That sounds cool! Always good not to scare the little babies/tots! When I worked at Babies or the hotel, we had pretty strict uniforms, so Halloween/holidays were a very much welcomed to not have to wear the uniform. I had some Christmas sweaters that would have won "Ugliest Christmas Sweater" but those were always better than the uniform, white button down shirt, black tie, black vest, black pants and black dress shoes.
  • When H and I met working at the same firm, Halloween costume contests got real serious. The past few Halloweens he's been out of town working, and this last week was no different, so I haven't even dressed up.
    I live in the 'hood, so I don't think there will be many trick or treaters, so I'm turning my light off and going out to eat with my brother for his birthday.
    I can't wait to move to a better neighborhood so we can get into it more.
  • I'll hand out candy if anyone shows up.  Dh will watch tv and the dog will bark.  
  • H has to work tonight, so I'm not handing out candy. It's our first year in this neighborhood for Halloween so I have no idea how many T-or-Ters we'll get. We do have quite a few families nearby, so I'm guessing we'll get some. I'm just turning off the porch light. I hate opening the door up to strangers at night when I'm home alone. Call me paranoid, but I'd just rather not.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Waiting for my husband to get home- he left work @ 6. It took him almost 3 hours to get in this morning, just can't wait for him to come home! There's trick-or-treaters in our neighborhood but we live in a small apartment of only six units (and a walkup at that) so there's no doorbell ringing going on here. My younger bro wants to hang out though so maybe we'll have guests.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards