Chit Chat

Bridal shower game - HELP!

Bridal shower for a distant cousin on Sunday. Has to be TAME. Sucks. I know.

I need an idea that will be an ice breaker for 30 women in the same room. An activity that doesn't involve buying a bunch of stuff. I am at a brick wall here.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bridal shower game - HELP!

• You don't have to do any games at a bridal shower. That being said at some of the showers I've been to I've seen a bingo type game done, and the bingo spots had different typical registry items and you'd check off whatever the bride opened for gifts.

I am not a fan of bridal shower games though, as a guest, you're there to eat and watch the bride open gifts, why would you need an "ice breaker"?
    imageimage
    Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13 Anniversary]
  • I ditto the PP about games not being a must.  I have been to several showers where we introduced ourselves - first name and how we knew the bride.  It took all of 5 minutes to go around the room and have 25-30 women do that.  I can take it or leave it because I usually end up chatting with the person next to me in line for the buffet or appetizers.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Actually I'm required to. My mom is throwing the shower, I told her I'd find her a game. You can tell how thrilled I am about this.
  • Here's one that involves almost no cost (except paper from your computer printer).  It's still lame, because games are lame, but at least it's not overly cutesy.

You make up a list of random things that women may be carrying in their pocketbooks and assign points values to each.  (Example:  Mirror - 1 pt, since it's relatively common; Picture of the bride - 5 pts., since it's relatively uncommon.)  Whoever gets the most points wins and gets a prize (which can be something small, like a $5 Starbucks card or one of the small Bath & Body Works gift baskets or a Yankee candle or something).  It takes a while because everyone's digging through their purse, it's actually kind of funny when people realize the random sh!t they carry around, and it doesn't require a huge investment.

imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • How Well Do You Know The Bride & Groom (multiple choice)
    Clothespin Game --no one can say a certain word; wedding is a good one to use
    Word Scramble--pick wedding related words and jumble them up

Also, Google bridal shower games and you will find tons of them

• ceh789ceh789 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    I've done match the famous married couples (make sure they're still married though... ahem).  So like - down the left side list famous women and on the right side famous men - match up who is married to who.

It was funny at the last shower I threw because the bride won by A LOT and thereby outed her secret People magazine habit.

ETA: I've considered also doing faceless bride pictures from people.com and doing  guess the famous bride but I've been too lazy to execute on it.
  • We did the Bingo game at a baby shower recently and it was a huge hit. Sometimes opening presents is the slowest part of a shower, but it gets everyone involved.
  • http://www.bridal-shower-games.com/- this website is a great link for what you are looking for plus you can pretty much DIY and they are tame. Good Luck
  • I've done the purse game. It's kinda fun!

At one of my showers, I know we are doing a B&G trivia game because the host asked for 12 random facts about each of us. The ladies will have to guess whether it's me or FI.

For the other shower, I came up with a game on my own, which I passed along to MOH. Thought it'd be fun. Break off ladies into teams of 4-5. Then host will give a word and each team has to sing the lyric to a song with that word in it. Bride judges.
  • My SIL also planned a game for my shower where she printed off pages from a magazine article from the 50s on what a good wife should do. She wrote out some of the absurd sentances and we had to fill in the blanks. We went over the answers together. Some of the 'proposed' answers were really funny!
  • I love games. I like the "how well you know the bride and groom' game. That be be written answers or a buzz type game (where guests have to 'buzz' in to answer. You could do it in teams too. 

Also give each guest a name tag or somthing that they stick onto their chest. If they say the brides name or wedding (or any word you decide relating to weddings), they get their tage taken away. The person with th emost tags wins at the end. That game is always fun.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bridal-shower-game-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:a9a20f14-e01f-450d-9d97-1dc5c3e700b2Post:259b434f-f695-4e0b-8123-5f0e8541a9c6">Re: Bridal shower game - HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Here's one that involves almost no cost (except paper from your computer printer).  It's still lame, because games are lame, but at least it's not overly cutesy. You make up a list of random things that women may be carrying in their pocketbooks and assign points values to each.  (Example:  Mirror - 1 pt, since it's relatively common; Picture of the bride - 5 pts., since it's relatively uncommon.)  Whoever gets the most points wins and gets a prize (which can be something small, like a $5 Starbucks card or one of the small Bath & Body Works gift baskets or a Yankee candle or something).  It takes a while because everyone's digging through their purse, it's actually kind of funny when people realize the random sh!t they carry around, and it doesn't require a huge investment.
    Posted by StephBeanWed61502[/QUOTE]

I agree! A girl who I was friends with had this at her shower and it was a lot of fun.
  • I did not think I would get so many great responses! Thank you so much, this makes it easier. Smile
  • There's also the game where the bride carries around a tray of kitchen items (wisk, cheese slicer, etc - just the old stuff right out of your kitchen drawer) then guests have to write down as many of them as they can remember.  A variation on this is after the bride leaves the room you make them answer questions about what the bride was wearing, which they likely weren't paying attention to since they're so focused on the tray.

I also had a game at my shower where each table had to write a story about H and I using as many common cleaning products as they could; bride judged the winner.  We had three stories where we ended up with a dog named Ajax, which I thought was pretty funny.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bridal-shower-game-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:a9a20f14-e01f-450d-9d97-1dc5c3e700b2Post:070c6d4a-5406-4fdb-8aff-01fbbd504af2">Re: Bridal shower game - HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]There's also the game where the bride carries around a tray of kitchen items (wisk, cheese slicer, etc - just the old stuff right out of your kitchen drawer) then guests have to write down as many of them as they can remember.  A variation on this is after the bride leaves the room you make them answer questions about what the bride was wearing, which they likely weren't paying attention to since they're so focused on the tray. I also had a game at my shower where each table had to write a story about H and I using as many common cleaning products as they could; bride judged the winner.  We had three stories where we ended up with a dog named Ajax, which I thought was pretty funny.
    Posted by Kate61487[/QUOTE]

You reminded me of another game that was played. Four or five different white baking ingredients were placed in a ziploc bag and we had to guess what was in teh ziploc bag. Who ever won got a prize.
  • For my shower my FMIL sent two "instructions" out with the invite.

1. She included an index card and asked everyone to write their best advice for a new bride on it and bring it with them.

2. She asked everyone to bring a small item that reminds them of me and something we did together and I have to go through and guess who brought each one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards