Getting in Shape
Options

What am I doing wrong?

Hi ladies,

this is the first time I've posted on here, though I've been lurking for the last couple of days and reading what others have had to say.

I could really appreciate some help and advice. I'm trying to get a bit more toned and lose a bit of weight before our wedding, on May 11th, 2013.

About me: I weigh around 125 lbs (+/- 2), I'm 23 years old, and I work out for at least 30min-1hour 3-4 times per week. And by work out, I do mean work out. I do the cardio which makes me break a sweat, and then I do circuit training or strenth, depending on the day. I have a chronic shoulder disloaction and issues with BOTH elbows, which means that I can't lift weights over 10lbs and have to avoid some moves (such as push ups) as they put too much strain on my shoulder socket and I can paralyze my shoulder again (done that, not fun).

I also like to take care of what I eat. I average 1200 calories per day (I use MFP to track, and I track everything!). My calories are 1/3 from protein, 1/3 from carbs and 1/3 from fats. I think 90% of my diet is healthy fats, as I love olive oil, avocado, peanut butter, etc. Sometimes I do use "bad fats", such as butter, or a quick meal out that may have some (if I'm in a rush or having an intense craving). I walk pretty much everywhere, as I don't have a car and live downtown, around 40 minutes from work. 

THE PROBLEM? I've stopped losing weight. I've changed up my work out routine, I've been more careful with what I eat, and my body is changing but not in the way I'd have liked! My thighs got bigger (and it's not just muscle, it's still quite a bit of chub!). My love handles still love to taunt me. My boobs got a bit smaller, I think (went from a 32DD to a 32D)- but that's about the only thing that got smaller in the last few weeks! 

Can anyone suggest something to help me lose the final 5-8 pounds? I would truly appreciate it! Thanks so much!

Re: What am I doing wrong?

• Options
    Just a quick question to start1200 calories, or 1200 net calories?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_what-am-i-doing-wrong-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:3d951785-459d-4341-9a88-178ac911efd2Post:5b43ef3c-fdea-43ba-a98d-14fdb3c761c4">Re:What am I doing wrong?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just a quick question to start1200 calories, or 1200 net calories?
    Posted by Lobsters25[/QUOTE]

<div>Usually I aim for 1200 calories consumed on days that I don't work out, and on the days that I do workout I consume around 1200-1400 calories, but after my workout it's only around 1000-1100 calories net. I went by what MFP claimed, that if I keep to eating 1200 calories per day, I should lose 10 pounds in around 3 months. I've lose around 2-3 pounds in 4 months, and nothing more!</div>
  • Options
    Okay well 10001100 is not enough! Calorie deficits help with weight loss but only to a pointtoo few net calories will put you in starvation mode and force your body to hold onto what it can. It also sounds like you need to change up your routine. The same foods and workout routines can cause your body to adjust, giving the workout less of an impact. So try to keep your body guessing and push it to keep up with some new classes at the gym or different types of lifting workouts, and varying your food breakdown every now and then. Last but not least, remember that when there is less to lose, it's going to take longer.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_what-am-i-doing-wrong-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:3d951785-459d-4341-9a88-178ac911efd2Post:53e3f660-0e17-4929-9735-475ef9dfb6ae">Re:What am I doing wrong?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay well 10001100 is not enough! Calorie deficits help with weight loss but only to a pointtoo few net calories will put you in starvation mode and force your body to hold onto what it can. It also sounds like you need to change up your routine. The same foods and workout routines can cause your body to adjust, giving the workout less of an impact. So try to keep your body guessing and push it to keep up with some new classes at the gym or different types of lifting workouts, and varying your food breakdown every now and then. Last but not least, remember that when there is less to lose, it's going to take longer.
    Posted by Lobsters25[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks for the advice, Lobsters25! (btw your name just made me crave lobster sooo bad. Or even crab legs! yumm!)</div><div>
    </div><div>I generally do eat a varied diet (only breakfast is usually the same, because I have a bit of an iffy stomach, so I eat greek yogurt with whatever fruit I have on hand). I changed my workout routine a week ago, so hopefully I'll see a bit of a difference. I started doing more free weights than machines (I used to be scared of free weights due to my shoulder, but I'm slowly working my way out of my comfort zone). Hopefully these small changes will help me see some difference.</div><div>
    </div><div>it's just irritating because I kept thinking "oh, it's JUST 5 or so pounds, how hard can it be to lose?" and I've been struggling with it for 4 months! My belly is a bit more toned... I just measured while waiting for your response and I'm down a couple of centimeters. Now I just need to figure out something for my love handles (they're mostly visible from the back, kind of start under my ribcage and bump out until just above my butt, if that makes sense). </div><div>
    </div><div>Do you know what kind of exercises I could do for the love handles that wouldn't stress my shoulder too much (I have a hard time doing planks, push ups, etc because of that. I still do them, but I can't do it for as long as the average person, unfortunately). </div>
  • Options
    I agree with the others on the eating part.

On working out your shoulders have you thought about swimming? Thats a great upper body workout with little strain on your joints. :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards