Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Need help w/invitation wording -- divorced parents

My parents divorced about 6 years ago in what could likely take the cake for nastiest divorce in the history of the world. They have not spoken, their families hate each other, and you can imagine how awesome it's been to plan a wedding around all this.

That being said, I'm trying to work on my invitation wording and am stuck. My mother is remarried and so far, they've paid for dress/veil/alterations, photographer deposit, and have let me know that if things get nastier between everyone, they will foot the cost of whatever comes up at the end. My father is not remarried and has yet to pay for anything, but has indictated that he is saving money, is going to foot the bill for all my flowers (not a small bill), and knows that he's going to be called upon soon for funding.

How can I include all of them without making anyone uncomfortable (okay, that's impossible, but how about as comfortable as possible)? Is it okay to still say "their daughter" if I list all three parents on the invitation?

Anyone else in a similar situation? If so, I sympathize, because it's a wreck!

Re: Need help w/invitation wording -- divorced parents

• Options
    Well the most important thing to remember is that the parent's names on the invitation are to indicate who is hosting, not who is paying. 

The easiest thing to do is say

Together with their parents
    You
    and
    Your FI

request the pleasure of your company
    blah blah blah

If you HAVE to name names, then you would list your mom and step-dad on one line and your dad on a separate line, like this:

Mr. John Smith
    Mr. and Mrs. David and Mary Jones

request the pleasure of your company
    at the wedding of their daughter

You
    to
    Your FI
    son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Doe

Use pleasure of your company unless the wedding is in a church. If it's in a church you would use honor of your presence is requested at...

There's an invitation wording wizard here on the Knot too that might help:

http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning/wedding-invitations.aspx

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Personally I dislike "together with their parents" in most cases.

I would try

Mr. and Mrs. your mom and stepfather

Mr. your dad's full name

request the honour or your presence (or pleasure of your company if civil ceremony)

at the marrige of

your first middle last

to

Mr. first middle last
    (son of if you wish)

etc.
  • Options
    * Your mom's name goes first, btw.  ladies first on invites
  • Options
    I have a similar situation except that his parents also gave us money for the wedding- not that we are using it for that but that's another story.  I am going to go with "together with their parents".  How about not mentioning who is hosting/paying and say "You are invited to the wedding of HER & HIM"?
  • Options
    Well, you could always skip it altogether and just have you and your FI do the inviting.  That's our plan, no parents at all on the invite, since neitherif us have lived at home in over 10 years we feel silly having our parents do the inviting.
    image. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I appreciate everyone's feedback, and I like the idea of being all inclusive with the parentals; however, we recently asked his parents to pay for the alcohol at the reception, because their guests are drinkers and my family's are not. When I mentioned having open bar beer and wine only, I thought they were going to explode.

So part of me feels like I really need to give credit where credit is due -- my parents are truly the only ones footing the bill -- now like danieliza said, it should be able who's inviting, not paying for. Does it seem fair for his parents to be credited with hosting when they aren't contributing anything?
  • Options
    I am going with a simple "Together With their Parents..." I think the invitation would look kind of confusing with so many different names on it (for me anyway). Maybe you can thank everyone by name during your wedding speeches?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards