August 2012 Weddings

seating charts suck

I am putting together our seating charts and this has got to be the WORST part of wedding planning.  What do you do family no one likes?  What do you do when you have a bunch of rowdy people that you KNOW will liven the party if they all sit together but there is too many of them for one table.  Ugh this is one task i should have delegated!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: seating charts suck

• That's why we opted not to have a seating chart. We also have some tables outside and some inside wanted people to have the option of whether they want to be inside or outside.

August 2012 - Married! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • That ended up being easy for me. But I only have 71 people. I started with lumping people together I knew would be a good fit. I didn't worry about numbers at that point. Then I narrowed it down from there to get the right number at a table.
    85image 71image 14image
  • Ditto this!! We had so many people rsvp for just 1 (even though they are married) so I have a bunch of awkward numbers at tables now lol. HATE SEATING!
    image 223 Invited
    image 127 Wouldn't miss it
    image 64 Passed on the fun
    image 32 Still undecided
    RSVP Date: August 1, 2012 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • libby2483libby2483 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2012-weddings_seating-charts-suck?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1fb748ee-7a4e-40eb-b4b4-e553486f4cacDiscussion:d8295d1e-a8b3-4d2e-aa61-8304d4b14ea2Post:aeef0f6a-8017-4ae4-8725-f918948da1b9">Re: seating charts suck</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was worried about this. My MOH threw my shower and wanted me to do a seating chart, I said okay. I tries doing it with the flags, but it got annoying really quick. WeddingWire has a great way to create seating charts.
    Posted by mtishawt[/QUOTE]

<div>I second WeddingWire's seating chart tool!  We used WeddingWire to create our wedding website where guests could RSVP if they didn't want to RSVP with the card.  So, I already had my guest list imported.  Then, all I had to do is drop and drag names around tables, so it was very easy to move and manipulate.  I think I did my whole seating chart in less than an hour, with the exception of making a few adjustments later for a few people who added or declined later.  I'm also fortunate that my family and my FI's family don't really have many people who don't get along or can't be seated near each other.  My main difficulty was that we are having tables of 9, and an odd number can be difficult to work with.  Luckily, we have lots of families with several kids, and a mix of single people and couples coming, so all but a few tables worked out perfectly, and I just put 8 or 10 at those.</div>
  • Yeah, seating charts have been a royal pain in the you know what for us.  We're just trying to remember that people will be up and socializing for most of the evening, so as long as they're at a table with someone who they would have a nice conversation with during meal time, they will still see/spend time with everyone else.  It made me feel less stressed about putting everyone from 'one group' at a table, and made me think more about people who have something in common with them that they might not know, and like to meet.  (And, if it's not a huge hit - we're not doing assigned seats at the table, and the meal time isn't too long as is.)
    Anniversary
  • kap617kap617 member
    First Comment
    I am definitely not looking forward to this task!

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • Ditto to the OP that they suck. I've been working on it a little at a time over the last few days. Got some input from FMIL for her family because by keeping families in groups, I kept having an odd number of leftover seats, so I wanted to see if she had some suggestions to help, and she did. Gonna look over it again with the new suggestions later in the week. 
  • Ugh, just got some major work done on ours tonight! We have a two floor reception (the hall has a balcony that looks over the dance floor) so it has the added element of keeping in mind people's mobility (older people, people in wheelchairs...)  Not to mention my immediate family is made up of 22 people (2 parents, 8 siblings, 5 SO, 3 nieces, 1 nephew!) It's seriously a headache...but I think we've got a better handle on it now, phew.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have had to make changes 5 times! They only reason I am doing this is because I have divorced parents and I need to make sure they are far apart from each other!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yup! Agree! They suck big time! I have about 5 tables with 1 seat left, what to do?!!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We said when we did the seating chart we would open a bottle of port. it didnt happen we used posted notes on a foam board had around the house then when i wanted exact table number of people at each i created an excel sheet by table that we had to give to the scroll people anyways.

Actually think coming up the guest list and cutting people was the most painful.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I must be the odd person out here because I have enjoyed making the seating chart.  That was one of the tasks I did for my sister's wedding and I've actually looked forward to doing it.  We don't have any family "issues/feuds" going on so that makes it easy, AND we can have 8-10 per table so we're not stuck on a solid number.  My rsvps are due today so I should be able to finalize it within the next week.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards