Catholic Weddings

"I pronounce you... you may kiss..."

Fi and I asre getting married in August at the church that his sister got married 12 years ago.  A few weeks ago I watched FI's sister's wedding CD.  They had a full mass, and immediately after their wedding vows, there was the presentation of gifts.  The priest did not say: "I pronounce you Husband and Wife" nor did he tell the groom to kiss the bride.

Now, I am a foreigner, raised in a Polish Catholic Church.  Our traditions are a little different, and the only times I saw this being said, was in movies. I have never gone to a Catholic wedding in the U.S.

We are having a marriage ceremony, not a full mass. Has any one of you been to weddings where these things were said? Catholic weddings I mean...

Re: "I pronounce you... you may kiss..."

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

I've never been to a Catholic ceremony with either of the two phrases being said. But most of the couples kissed before the recessional, without necessarily having an announcement. Some priests will agree to say something like "I now present to you Mr and Mrs...."

• Nickie431Nickie431 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm Catholic and have been to Catholic weddings where these statements have been included and where they have not been included.  These words are not part of prescribed liturgy, so if it's important to you that they be said, speak to your priest (in advance of the Rehearsal!).  He may agree to present you as a couple either after the vows are exchanged or before the Recessional.  Blessings!
    "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!" (Isaiah 43:1)
  • Alyssa0421Alyssa0421 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a Catholic ceremony and these words were not included. We kissed at the end of the ceremony after we were "presented" for the first time as husband and wife. The priest said something like "I present to you, for the first time, Mr. and Mrs.!" We kissed, everyone clapped, and we exited to start the recessional. This is how I've seen it done at Catholic weddings. We didn't kiss right after our vows.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you, Ladies.  I will speak to the priest. He is pretty awesome, but doesn't have patience for people asking too many detailed questions - he is the monsignor at our church and a principal at the grade school - very busy!!

I feel like sneaking up to one of the weddings one Saturday and checking out if he says it or not...
  • edited December 2011

I was at a full Catholic Mass wedding a couple of weekends ago.
    The priest used the "I now present Mr. and Mrs. xxxx" Then they kissed. The groom actually dipped the bride and kissed her. heehee

• edited December 2011
    Ha, I think if FI dipped me, he would drop me... he is a little stressed with the whole pronouncing of his love to me in front of all the guests.
  • mswood1977mswood1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My DH and I had a Catholic Wedding Mass a couple weeks ago.  Our priest pronounced us Husband and Wife and Said you may now kiss the bride after our vows/ring exchange and before the presentation of the gifts.  He also told us it was ok for us the kiss again during the sign of the peace.  Prior to the recessional he presented us ("For the first time I present to you....")  but we did not kiss again at this time.

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_pronounce-may-kiss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:824174af-c4b3-4456-bbe2-27d08738dff7Post:00eff44d-ae7b-44df-a241-ab09a0628f74">Re: "I pronounce you... you may kiss..."</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had a Catholic ceremony and these words were not included. We kissed at the end of the ceremony after we were "presented" for the first time as husband and wife. The priest said something like "I present to you, for the first time, Mr. and Mrs.!" We kissed, everyone clapped, and we exited to start the recessional. This is how I've seen it done at Catholic weddings. We didn't kiss right after our vows.
    Posted by Alyssa0421[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto this.</div><div>
    </div><div>As a Vietnamese Catholic, I have to share my perspective, that Vietnamese Catholics don't kiss at Mass.  I believe kissing or not kissing at church is a cultural issue.  It's up to you!</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards