Military Brides

YAYAYAY!! and BOOOOOOOO!!

My week has been... interesting.

Goods: I got a job! And am interviewing for another! My grandma doesn't have lung cancer!

Bads: FI dropped on me that our friends J&S are seperating. They are married and he's deployed.

FI started the Juicing diet! Its awesome!
Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.

Re: YAYAYAY!! and BOOOOOOOO!!

• edited December 2011
    Yay for your highs :D and I'm sorry about your friends :( 
    Btw how does the juicing diet work? I've wanted to do a juice cleanse and tried doing a 7 day body cleanse but couldn't finish it
  • edited December 2011
    Yay for the highs and I am sorry about your friends, that's a downer.  Hope that it's not permanent!
    Oh and I'm starting the juice fast monday... mostly because they say the first day all you want to do is sleep and I'm off on monday and tuesday! I'm pretty excited about it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm super excited!
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • edited December 2011
    Are you doing the juice diet as well?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah. Apparently I didn't write in there that I am doing it too. Its late and I'm tired
  • edited December 2011
    Ha! I understand,  but that's awesome!  Are you actually doing the fast or are you substituting meals with juice?    OH and I bought my juicer today! woot woot!  haha.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_yayayay-boooooooo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:5c6cbf08-ed4e-41b7-9f25-83ff00ed3f0dPost:6d61b231-8a8c-4791-b9c8-9c6c75a17afd">Re: YAYAYAY!! and BOOOOOOOO!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ha! I understand,  but that's awesome!  Are you actually doing the fast or are you substituting meals with juice?    OH and I bought my juicer today! woot woot!  haha.
    Posted by DaKelliAB09[/QUOTE]
    What juice did you buy? I don't have a juicer (def putting one on the registry though when we do it) and I want to try it too
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't buy juice, I'm making my own with my juicer and I'm fasting so I have to drink at least 5 a day.    A few of the "recipes" I'm doing are  the Mean Green juice
    6 Kale Leaves
    1 Cucumber
    4 Celery Stalks
    2 Green Apples
    1/2 Lemon
    1 piece of ginger (make sure it is a small amount otherwise it will burn on the way down)

the "rainbow" . Spinach, apple, pear, 1/2 lemon, 4 baby carrots, zucchini (or cucumber), squash, tomato. I figure I will get all I can in that 1 meal. Still only about 250 calories max!

We'll see how I do! lol
  • edited December 2011
    I'm just pointing this out, but those Juice Diets/Fasts/Cleanses are super un-healthy. You'll probably lose some weight, but you'll gain it all back.  You need to change your lifestyle, not what you eat, or worse don't eat, for a week to lose weight and keep it off.
    Photobucket
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_yayayay-boooooooo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:5c6cbf08-ed4e-41b7-9f25-83ff00ed3f0dPost:6d61b231-8a8c-4791-b9c8-9c6c75a17afd">Re: YAYAYAY!! and BOOOOOOOO!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ha! I understand,  but that's awesome!  Are you actually doing the fast or are you substituting meals with juice?    OH and I bought my juicer today! woot woot!  haha.
    We're doing the substituting. We've realized that us just doing that is not really working so we're doing 2 meals juice and 1 meal juice and something else of 1 serving size
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_yayayay-boooooooo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:5c6cbf08-ed4e-41b7-9f25-83ff00ed3f0dPost:f7233732-e631-4b95-91cd-81d738f28836">Re: YAYAYAY!! and BOOOOOOOO!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm just pointing this out, but those Juice Diets/Fasts/Cleanses are super un-healthy. You'll probably lose some weight, but you'll gain it all back.  You need to change your lifestyle, not what you eat, or worse don't eat, for a week to lose weight and keep it off.
    Posted by SamiJoeB[/QUOTE]
    How? Its like being a vegan. <div>
    </div><div>We're eating smaller sizes for dinner and doing juice for the other 2 meals</div>
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_yayayay-boooooooo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:5c6cbf08-ed4e-41b7-9f25-83ff00ed3f0dPost:8945235d-3eba-4594-9e0b-bc84323a0e8e">Re: YAYAYAY!! and BOOOOOOOO!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I didn't buy juice, I'm making my own with my juicer and I'm fasting so I have to drink at least 5 a day.    A few of the "recipes" I'm doing are  the Mean Green juice 6 Kale Leaves 1 Cucumber 4 Celery Stalks 2 Green Apples 1/2 Lemon 1 piece of ginger (make sure it is a small amount otherwise it will burn on the way down) the "rainbow" . Spinach, apple, pear, 1/2 lemon, 4 baby carrots, zucchini (or cucumber), squash, tomato. I figure I will get all I can in that 1 meal. Still only about 250 calories max! We'll see how I do! lol
    the one I'm trying tonight. strawberries (to how you like)<div>oranges</div><div>and carrots</div>
  • edited December 2011
    It's really nothing like being a vegan. Vegan's typically eat tofu, rice, oatmeal, almonds, beans and bread. None of which you're getting on a Juice diet.

Juice diets cause: headaches, tiredness, hypoglycemia, constipation, acne, increased body odor, bad breath, diarrhea, which can lead to dehydration and electrolyte loss. The frequent bathroom visits can lead to irritation and breakdown of skin on your bottom, in addition to the dehydration.

They can also lead to: fainting, dizziness, low blood pressure, heart arrhythmias, weight loss, hunger, vomiting, diarrhea, kidney problems anemia, impairment of liver function, kidney stones, and serious mineral imbalances.

Those are super attractive right?! Totally a reason to do this to your body.

Besides there being absolutely no point in putting your body through that, when you go back to eating whatever you were before the next week (healthy or not).  Your body naturally cleanses itself through elimination that's what your liver is there for and assuming none of you are recovering alcoholics who've been drinking "the sauce" for the past 38 years all day everyday, your liver probably works just fine.., by doing a juice diet/cleanse/fast your body eliminates too much, way too fast, including the good bacteria that your body needs to stay healthy! That's actually why you'll feel tired, have headaches, your robbing your body of nutrients, and the nutrients you're putting into it don't get to stick around very long.

In addition to robbing your body of vitamins and minerals, you're weakening your immune system, breaking down your muscles and slowing down your metabolism.  The slower your metabolism, the harder it is for you to lose weight.. so if a juice diet makes you lose weight, what are you actually losing? pure muscle.  You're basically forcing your body into starvation mode, which you should know makes your body store all it's fat.  Your body recognizes that you're not giving it anything real to eat, so it starts turning your muscles into food/energy, and keeps all the fat for a rainy day.. You're also consuming little to no protein with a juice diet, something that is essential to weight loss.

Also, if you have history of a psychiatric illnesses like: anorexia, bulimia, depression or anxiety a Juice Diet may trigger or exacerbate your symptoms.

I know you can find all sorts of research both supporting, and belittling these sorts of diets/cleanses/fasts. My research (and yes I've done tons of this research)let me to the conclusion that these are terrible for your body. It's a fad diet, just like Atkins, South Beach, the popcorn diet, The Zone, Cabbage Soup diet.  They don't work. They are popular right now, but they'll be replaced soon by some other diet of the moment. And like most fad diets, you'll probably gain back all the weight you lose, and then some.

Cutting back on high-fat foods, eating in moderation and consuming more vegetables and fruits. That is the SAFE way to lose weight. Sure it takes longer, but it has been medically proven that a safe rate of weight loss is 1-3 lbs per week depending on your metabolism and daily activity. I on average have lost 2.8lbs per week, since I started dieting, and in 9 weeks, I've lost 26lbs. It's not hard AT ALL, plus I don't have any of those unpleasant side effects.
    Photobucket
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    People on the juice only diets are dumb. You're supposed to eat nuts and stuff. Thats what the guy from the movie did. We're sorta following that
  • freebread03freebread03 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    SamiJoe gave some great advice.  It's so important that you get lean protein in your diet (chicken, fish, tofu, etc).  Poaching your fish is a great way to cook lean as well since you can avoid much of the oil that you might otherwise need to keep the meat from sticking.

Also, if you run, try working in speed intervals-this could be 1 minute hard, 1 minute jog, or 400 meters hard, 800 jog--whatever works for your fitness level.  The change in speed with help to kickstart your metabolism and make sure your body doesn't get "too comfortable" at one particular speed.  When that happens, your body gets really efficient and doesn't burn as much.  (For example, I ran the Boston Marathon in April and didn't lose ONE SINGLE POUND while training, even during weeks where I ran 50+ miles or had a 20 mile long run--I wasn't incorporating much speed work and my body got very efficient at marathon training pace!)
  • edited December 2011
    I've done lots of researching and talked to my doctor about it.  I have some health problems and my doctor thinks this will help.  I'm only doing the fast for a few days and then I'm doing a reboot.  This could ultimately get me off some medications that are way harder on my body and could make it hard for me to have kids in the future.  I eat pretty healthy but I know I don't get the amount of nutrients my body needs....  and to intake the amount I need in a day would be impossible for me to eat before becoming too full....
    Obviously, if you go right back to what you were doing before is pointless as wiith any diet, it has to be lifestyle change. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards